86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

nother timing belt install question

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 03:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4CPOSEADOG
Ouch, that is a $700 bucks + from the stealership.
Yipe, that stings!

I'll tell you what I did with mine. I didn't even bother looking for a new one. Mostly because it didn't sound or feel too bad when I spun it, off the vehicle w/o anything attached to it. So I tried to pop the seal gently, which didn't work. My intention was to rejuvenate it with some oil. Now I can't recommend you do what I did, because you may risk getting oil on the timing belt. A BIG NO NO.

What I did was pool the oil on the rear side bearing seal and spun the bearing untill some seeped through into the bearing. It's only a short term fix, I accept the risk involved.

Worked great, spins smooth and sigificantly quieter.
Old 06-16-2007, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Mudhippy
I'll tell you what I did with mine. I didn't even bother looking for a new one. Mostly because it didn't sound or feel too bad when I spun it, off the vehicle w/o anything attached to it.
Hey Mud,

Just like what you did, I took all the belts attached to this fan bracket, spun it more than four times to duplicate the squealing noise when the engine is running. I did not hear a thing and than fan was spinning smoothly without wobbling. I took the big timing cover to check the timing belt and water pump, but everything looks good there, I even rotated the crankshaft to ensure that is not the water pump that is squealing, water pump rotated smoothly. Timing is still the same perfectly matched and lined up.
So what the heck is the squealing sound coming from? Do you think it the fan bracket for sure though? This 3.0 VZE engine is getting weird.
Old 06-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Contributing Member

Shot in the dark here, but it sounds like a squeaking alternator belt. (too loose maybe)
Old 06-16-2007, 05:46 PM

slosurfer,
Have you had experienced that a loose alternator belt would squeal that loud? Well, the alternator belt was a bit loose but I don't think it will sound horrible like freaking pig. I will give it a shot tomorrow and re-tighten everything before I order a fan bracket.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:20 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
If it feels/sounds good, it's probably not that then. I was gonna say loose belt too. I have a can of belt dressing spray, I'd try that. Stops sqealing belts.

I'm running out of ideas. I had my PS pump make a horrid sound when it ran low on fluid. Check that I guess.

I'll keep , get back at ya when I have somethin'.

I just got somethin', not too highly probable, but might make the sound your hearin'. Check that pic I posted(post#7), Fig.213 if you got that thing on backwards it might be rubbing on the timing belt making it scream at ya.

Last edited by MudHippy; 06-16-2007 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:25 PM

Thanks guys, I will keep you posted tomorrow whatever I will find when I get to install everything and then after I crank it out!
Old 06-16-2007, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

slosurfer,
Have you had experienced that a loose alternator belt would squeal that loud? Well, the alternator belt was a bit loose but I don't think it will sound horrible like freaking pig. I will give it a shot tomorrow and re-tighten everything before I order a fan bracket.
My Ford work truck is doing it right now. I know it is the alternator belt because I can watch the voltmeter and it stays low till it stops squealing and then it shoots up to where it normally sits. Reminds me, I need to fix that.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Are you SURE it's not the idler pulleys? There are two of them....

and MUDHIPPY: I did the EXACT SAME THING to my fan pulley & it worked like a charm! It wasn't making any noise but I could tell the bearing was beginning to sound like it could make some noise. Quiet as a mouse now!
Old 06-17-2007, 05:37 AM

TNRabbit,

Both idler pulleys are brand spanking new and they are OEM from Toy. I will let you guys know what after I get back from church.

Last edited by 4x4CPOSEADOG; 06-17-2007 at 05:38 AM.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:33 AM

Update

Originally posted by justinking060310
not sure if its the same, but mine was a high pitched squeal coming from the timing belt area...
Okay guys and gals, it wasn't the idler pulley, it wasn't the timing belt, it wasn't the fan bracket either, it wasn't the water pump that is making the squealing sound.

And the winner in internet troubleshooting is..................... slosurfer, yeah the freaking alternator belt was the one squealing like a pig. It needed to be tighten up real tight and I used a big crowbar to push it outward so I can tighten the bolt. Tighten everything back up and inventoried the tools to make sure nothing left behind in the engine compartment and or inside the timing belt area. Filled it up with coolant, then cranked it and no more squealing noise. Oooaaahhh! it runs like a champ!

Thanks to all you guys and gals for helping me out. All in all I think I spent around $600 for everything but knowing that the engine was put back together as per specs in FSM is PRICELESS!
Old 06-19-2007, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

Glad it was something simple and easy to fix.
Old 07-22-2007, 03:35 PM

Hey all,

I replaced the leaky water pump on my 3.0slow yesterday. When I removed the timing belt form the right (PS) cam shaft the timing mark on the camshaft is pointing at 2 o'clock position instead of 12 o'clock supposed to be match with the timing mark on the number 3 timing belt cover. The driver side cam shaft is at 12 o'clock and matched the timing mark on the cover plus the crankshaft matched the nothed on the oil pump cover at it is at 0' degree.

Now the question is, how can I put the right (PS) camshaft back to the correct timing mark (12 o'clock)? Do I have to rotate it clockwise without the timing belt installed to aligned with the timing mark on the #3 cover? Or do I have to install the timing belt to rotate it? Can I rotate the camshaft by itself without damaging the engine?

Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA.
I have the same situation, except it is the drivers side cam that seems to be one tooth to the right. Also, the crank pulley mark is at 5 degrees instead of 0. I noticed this after beginning a head gasket replacement. Now I'm wondering if the problem was the timing. Would this cause excessive blowby? There is a lot of oily smoke coming from the valve cover breather hose to the air intake tube causing oil to collect in the intake.