Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

my 3.0 to 3.4 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 07:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mt goat... u still online?Hey thanks for the info should I remove the rap before I install motor? also I am really fed up with this stupid crossover I am thinking about installing headers I surely dont want to put crossover in and have it crack in few montrhs then have to pull motor? Please reply as I am putting motor in this morning
Old 01-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by millwrightbrian
Mt goat... u still online?Hey thanks for the info should I remove the rap before I install motor? also I am really fed up with this stupid crossover I am thinking about installing headers I surely dont want to put crossover in and have it crack in few montrhs then have to pull motor? Please reply as I am putting motor in this morning
If it were mine, I'd pull off the wrap and have the crossover ceramic coated. I'm not a big fan of headers. I just did an update on this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...02/index2.html

And there is more info here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...5/index29.html

And here:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...42/index9.html

Headers have a whole set of problems themselves.

Last edited by mt_goat; 01-17-2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 AM

millwrightbrian,

Being in California, you should have a backup plan for the exhaust system in case you are required to visit a referee. Go to this page:

http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/Applicat...ZipLookup.aspx

to see what program area you are in. If you are lucky enough to be in the Change of Ownership area you will not need to visit a referee .

If you are in the Enhanced area, good luck with your cross-over and exhaust. Refs in this program area go by the letter of the law when it comes down to vehicle configuration, and what I was told is California is cracking down on smog stations and referees that illegally pass vehicles. Go to this page and you can see what I went through:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...16/index6.html

Given all that, it really comes down to the referee himself and you stand a 50/50 chance of passing with your current exhaust configuration.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:26 PM

Sweet its in

I got my motor in and bolted up and come home to a message saying I am going to have smog problems... Thanks cadman... I checked out your thread and seeing how Rancho Toy Truck didnt have a problem I most likely wont either I live near him. plus I am pretty good friends with my smog guy he will tip me off on the best refs.
Well I have attached a few more photos of work done today THE MOTOR is IN!!!! Now for the easy stuff right... oh I wish..

Oh only thing I dont like about my crossover is flange is hitting heatshield under truck. I over compensated, but I will fix this and install a flex complier as i seen on mtgoat's thread. Mtgoat thanks for the advice on cermic coat I ran out of time at shop and had to put motor in today... hope it goes good with second flex on down pipe.

Currently all work is going to stop I broke a front strut on my car so I have to fix that tomorrow...

Did everyone's motor stick out this far, mine seems to stick out further then all pictures I have seen on here...maybe thats cuz i got the new 3.48675
Attached Thumbnails my 3.0 to 3.4 upgrade-crossoverin3wp.jpg   my 3.0 to 3.4 upgrade-truck_new34wp.jpg   my 3.0 to 3.4 upgrade-sideviewwp.jpg  

Last edited by millwrightbrian; 01-17-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:39 PM

If thats the heat shield that bolts to the the frame, just remove it. There was no way mine would fit either with the cross-over coming down that side.

Can't really tell in your pic how far the air chamber is sticking up, but with a 1" body lift mine doesn't touch the hood. There isn't much you can do about the engine height. Depending on how much interference you have, you'll either need to cut the reinforcement ribs under the hood, do a body lift, or cut the hood and cover it with a scoop.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:42 PM

After looking at the pic again it looks like the hood will hit the air chamber and throttle body.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

I cut that heat shield on the frame in half, that was the only way I could get in back on. So now I have 2 heat shields hehe. I may have bent it a little too.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:39 PM

Ya I plan on cutting heat shield in half and taking out only half. Also from all pictures I saw only little hole in hood n add scoop. But with my motor bolted down it still looks like a lot more is sticking out then that little coner. HA no biggy I will just find a nice custom scoop cause i AM NOT A BIG FAN OF BODY LIFTS
Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 AM

With my truck back at home I can work on it at anytime, but I do miss that huge shop. I am going to have to read some more threads on yotatech to figure out what my next steps should be, right now the motor is in and bolted down. Now I got to try and make a 1992 truck work with a 2002 engine. what to do.... what to do... I will have to do some reading
Old 01-19-2009, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

A 2002 5VZFE engine harness and ECU would be a good start.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
A 2002 5VZFE engine harness and ECU would be a good start.
I have the ecu and harness for my 2002 5vzfe motor but there are still about 30 wires for I AM GUESSING dash board and gauges, plus there is another bundle for transmission also I am guessing on that as well. I have an auto trans and this harness and ecu was out of a auto. Regardless this it is going to be a pita. I got to get on the toyota tech site and download my files but it will have to wait till i can do it at my brothers my computer is way to slow internet 24K ..ha

Last edited by millwrightbrian; 01-19-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:20 PM

Plugging away.... :)

Well I am just try to do all the mechanical type jobs before I even take a gander at the electrical. So I got heater hoses, throttle cable, old cc out, few hoses all done. Problems I am running into is my trottle body doesnt have a hook up for my kickdown from trans or a place to hook up my cc cable, I am going to not worry about cc for now but I dont see why a my throttle body doesnt have a spot for my trans. If anyone has a 2002 or so 3.4 with a auto please look under your hood and post picture please. I am also having hard time figuring out how my harness is going to reach to ecu on ps kick panel... anyways I am just trying to do little everyday... sorry for no pic this time
Old 01-20-2009, 12:25 PM
Contributing Member

This is a 2001 throttle body, note the CC cable is the one in the back.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

On the engine harness, it is a stretch but it will reach if you turn the ECU pins up like this: https://www.yotatech.com/51035236-post11.html
Old 01-20-2009, 03:31 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
O/T but mt goat, did the throttle body spacer do much for you? (besides look cool)
Old 01-20-2009, 03:57 PM

Thanks for the pics..

Mtgoat that is exactly like what I was hoping mine would look like but as you can see from my picture way different. Just to claify my donor truck was a 2002 4 runner 4x2 with auto trans I got motor and ecu. I talked to Jonathan at rancho toy truck and he said that the 2001 and up 3.4's have an eletcronic throttle body that is controlled by the ECU for cruise control. And the newer 3.4's dont have a provision for the kickdown cable, he also said this is only TB that will work with my my harness and ecu.

The thing is when I bought this motor it didnt have a TB jonathan found this one and installed it for me, I dont want to do some jerry rig kickdown cable setup so I am just trying to figure out what to do.

I am also freaking out cuz I read in another thread that my setup is not going to shift right do to trans speed sensor. I have a 1992 truck with out I !!!!!bought the above items because I was told by rancho it would bolt right up and I could us my trans.... Now I am either reading it wrong or it basically is going to always throw error and run in a limp mode and shift wrong,, So this is what I am freaking out about right now.... Please someone out there has to know what I need to do. is there a fix or do I have to get newer trans and what about axle drop for 4x4. Son of a b@%$&%!!!!
Attached Thumbnails my 3.0 to 3.4 upgrade-tbw.jpg  
Old 01-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toylocost
O/T but mt goat, did the throttle body spacer do much for you? (besides look cool)
That's not really a spacer, it is there to provide a place to screw in a nozzle for my water/meth injection.

Here you can see the line going to it:

Last edited by mt_goat; 01-20-2009 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:46 PM
Contributing Member

... I talked to Jonathan at rancho toy truck and he said that the 2001 and up 3.4's have an eletcronic throttle body that is controlled by the ECU for cruise control....
I thought it was 2003 and up. Maybe the 2wd is different?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

... I was told by rancho it would bolt right up and I could us my trans....
Who is this rancho? Sounds like they may be putting out some bad info.

Last edited by mt_goat; 01-21-2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:24 PM

Who is rancho

Well he works at my local salvage yard and has done a several of these 3.4 swaps one of them is his truck and its sweet, real clean i have included a picture I took of his truck which has a TB like yours like one I need for my trans kickdown cable. He deals only with yota's and has been real good about answering my questions. But what I am worried about now is things are not going the way they were suppose to go, he sold me this kit saying it would all work together no problems. I only wanted to do this swap if done right no jerry rigging or joe McGhee crap plus drive correctly. Thats why I need to know what I should do now, is my older trans going to work? is there a fix out there for this speed sensor issue? or should I or can I upgrade to new trans that will work with my ECU and TB... Trust me I am not saying anything bad about Rancho Toy Truck I am just trying to figure this out. Jonathan is doing some looking too. The more I read the more I freakout that my truck is not going to shift right ect ect.

I found all the info I need about the my A340H auto trans and my 3.4 motor and ecu out of a 2002 4 runner thanks to thefallguy https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...l#post51035685 and no they are not going to work together at all... period... My ecu and TB are what they call Drive by Wire, what is that well my throttle cable only opens fly about 1/4 turn then the ECU opens rest of way so basically my older truck which has a typical pedal and cable setup would never acchieve more then a 1/4 TURN on TB fly. So i would be driving aroung at 1/4 power at all times. not to mention all that CEL errors I would get and smog would only be a pipe dream...

Whats the solution get a different ECU, wire harness, and TB. This is what I am going after now.

I would like to thank thefallman and mt_goat and many others for helping point me in right direction and for one finding this issue. Thanks again I cant wait for this project to get back to works again things were going so smooth...
Attached Thumbnails my 3.0 to 3.4 upgrade-jon4wp.jpg  

Last edited by millwrightbrian; 01-22-2009 at 05:56 PM.

Quick Reply: my 3.0 to 3.4 upgrade