3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

FYI: 5VZ-FE V6 works fine with the auto A340H

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suscribed...any more updates?

I was looking at swapping in a 5VZFE into 3.0slow w/auto tranny and retaining the A340H. It needs to be CA smog compliant, so I guess it's not a viable solution after all. Unless, I find a cheap totaled Tacoma/4Runner.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do a t100 swap thats your best bet till we come up with a work around
Old 06-03-2008, 05:33 PM

hey hey, any more info acquired? anyone?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by yotasavg
hey hey, any more info acquired? anyone?
SUBSCRIBED!

This would be a nice low budget easy to complete swap. Sounds like one of the best solutions for those of us with a 340H wanting to make a "simple" swap. It's given me some hope for the ole' auto after all.

Has anyone gotten any usefully info out of Team Shift Point? They seem to have found a simple solution to all these issues.

What has OCR said about it recently?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:00 PM

Sorry double post

Last edited by syber_kowboy; 08-06-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by syber_kowboy

Has anyone gotten any usefully info out of Team Shift Point? They seem to have found a simple solution to all these issues.
No, he was very stingy with info. It was basicly a company secret to him because he thought he was going to make some $$$$$ out of doing conversions for people. I'm not sure he found a simple solution because from what I remember he completely tore the trannys apart and replaced parts in them. I remember seeing a huge work bench covered with tranny parts.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:32 PM

Right I saw that same picture. I dug threw that old post and I think you might be right. He mentioned doing some rebuilds on the t-case and transmission to deal with the torque and power from the super charger. I sent him an email and hopefully will get a reply but I sorta doubt it. I'm going to start calling Yota gurus around my area (SF bayarea) and see if anyone can make it work. My 340H needs to be rebuilt anyway and that might not be the cheapest but it could be the easiest. I want to thank you for all the great input. It's been really helpful!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey glad to help. I think if your A340H needs rebuilding I'd just look to replace it with a A340F (Taco auto tranny) and get the Marlin adapter for a gear driven t-case. Rebuilding is too expensive, unless you can do it yourself.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Hey glad to help. I think if your A340H needs rebuilding I'd just look to replace it with a A340F (Taco auto tranny) and get the Marlin adapter for a gear driven t-case. Rebuilding is too expensive, unless you can do it yourself.
Well it has about 160k on it and I noticed it slipping a little now and then. The thing I don't get about the 340R with the adapter is that from what I read on the OCR tech articles you have to find a t-case from an old 22-TE and mod the thing for 23 spline input and top shifting in addition to the adapter kit. Not that this is "more" of a PITA and $$ but it sure seems excessive compared to having the 340H rebuilt, not to mention the interior trim and linkage mods. I really have know idea what I'm talking about yet but dropping the tranny out and sending to the shop for a rebuild seems pretty easy comparably. Maybe not?
Old 08-07-2008, 08:31 PM

just checkin for updates on this trans and 3.4 swap, dangit nothing for sure yet huh??? there has to be a way to either bypass this sensor without the cel or make it work, just wish i wash trans savy
Old 08-07-2008, 09:37 PM

mine works fine. No cel light maybe that has something to do with take the cell light out. So I would think it counts. But seriously mine has been a little odd and I have been to lazy to diagnos it. My OD light has been flashing. I think it may be in regards to my No. 3 selonoid not working because Im pretty sure my TC in not locking up hence causing the heat build up of my trans. i do have a after market cooler on there in series with the radiator cooler and it still gets toasty. I drove home from a trip one day with the selonoids disconnected which means no thrid gear and TC lock up and the temp was about the same as usual. And the other thing I noticed is that the truck doesnt start out in first. I think it is second. Might even be third was Im pretty sure its second. So its either Im having an issue with my selonoids which is most likely the case hence the flashing OD of my ECU might be a little wierd since it was pulled from junkyard. What throws my me off about not starting out in first gear is that its slugish all the way up to 25-30mph and if I let off of the gas and then jump back on it, it takes of like a bat out of hell. This could be in part to the kick down. but other than that it drive great and when I wheel I just disconnect the selonoids. I still get all the gears I need. and yes I do have a cel light and most likely will always have one since Im not running the second o2. It runs great and gas mileage is ok. My buddy isnt running any o2's and runs just as good as mine.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by syber_kowboy
it sure seems excessive compared to having the 340H rebuilt, not to mention the interior trim and linkage mods. I really have know idea what I'm talking about yet but dropping the tranny out and sending to the shop for a rebuild seems pretty easy comparably. Maybe not?
One thing that is nice about getting 340f with the 22re transfer is you have the option to gear it how you would like. You dont have that option with the 340h. And if you have someone rebuild it you better make sure it comes with one hell of a warranty. The 340h is nothing like rebuilding a gm auto. It might actually be in your better interest to just find a used low mileage 340h than to rebuild. Might be the best cost effective route
Old 08-12-2008, 02:43 PM

Yeah I'm getting that same feeling. OR just chance it and drop a 3.4 with a T100 ECU. I heard back from the dudes in Texas (Team Shift Point) but didn't get any specifics. I'm hoping to figure this out this month and start planning next month. I think the best bet still is to find a donor Taco and go from there.
Old 09-01-2008, 03:55 PM

After reading through the entire thread again. If someone on the forums has access to a milling machine, you could take two of the 340H sensor rings, rotate one of them 45 degrees, cut the groove for the key and then mill out half of the material on each one where they overlap each other. This would give you a 4 prong piece. Then just mill out the other two ends for magnets and you would have a 4 pulse per rotation sensor like the 340F. By the looks of it, you could probably machine one from scratch pretty easily.

Anyone else think this would work?
Old 09-01-2008, 08:23 PM

No it wont work its not just 4 pulse its a totally differnt signal then straight switched DC 4 pulse signal.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:57 PM

Hmm If we can't convert the signal, as it sounds like the 340F electronics will need to be used.

So to revise my idea, instead of aluminum with magnets, make the inductor ring out of steel. Its still just a flat piece with a hole drilled, a key cutout, and 4 prongs that you can bend to the shape you need. It might take some fine tuning to get all 4 prongs uniform, but once you have that, next is to figure out a way to mount the 340F inductive sensor. Worst case you could epoxy it in the hole from the reed sensor. I bet you could modify the plate that holds the reed sensor to hold the inductive one. It might not be pretty, but it would probably work.

I wish I had a spare transmission to mess with.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:36 AM

Its possible yes To do what u say, the only other option is to us a T100 as the donor vehicle
Old 11-14-2008, 09:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm an EE, maybe I can help out with this issue. So to recap, 1 digital pulse needs to be converted into 4 analogue waveforms, correct? Do we know the peak voltage? Is it AC or 0v to whatever the voltage limit is?
A programmed PIC should be able to count the time between 2 pulses and output 4 pulses in the next revolution, and keep doing the same for each new revolution. Time between the 2 pulses determines time between the 4 pulses. Output from the pic can be driven through capacitors and resistors to give an analogue waveform output. Do we know what the maximum frequency is?
Old 01-20-2009, 01:46 PM

I am freaking out!!! Please help...

I have a 1992 truck with a auto trans... I bought a 2002 3.4 engine with the ecu i was told this will all work fine. However after reading this thread I am totally freaking out that my truck is not going to drive right or shift right, I bought 3.4 motor cause i wanted to do this right and only once. Can anyone tell me if there is a solution now or what I should do. I have motor installed but no wiring done yet. PLEASE HELP

Can I retain my trans and get correct performance?

If not what trans should I get and out of what year truck for my 2002 ecu.

Also dont I have to be careful of years cause didnt they swap which side the drive shaft comes out on trans... hell I dont know I am learning as I go on this... just currently freaked out!!!!

I need some advice please and I don't have endless money ha ha ha

Last edited by millwrightbrian; 01-20-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by millwrightbrian
I have a 1992 truck with a auto trans... I bought a 2002 3.4 engine with the ecu i was told this will all work fine. However after reading this thread I am totally freaking out that my truck is not going to drive right or shift right, I bought 3.4 motor cause i wanted to do this right and only once. Can anyone tell me if there is a solution now or what I should do. I have motor installed but no wiring done yet. PLEASE HELP

Can I retain my trans and get correct performance?

If not what trans should I get and out of what year truck for my 2002 ecu.

Also dont I have to be careful of years cause didnt they swap which side the drive shaft comes out on trans... hell I dont know I am learning as I go on this... just currently freaked out!!!!

I need some advice please and I don't have endless money ha ha ha
The problems you are freaking out about are when you try to use the old A340H tranny.

To do it with as little drama as possible you will want to get an A340F that came behind a Tacoma, 3rd gen+ 4Runner or T100. I believe the advantage of the T100 tranny is the tc is a right side output, probably mentioned somewhere in this thread. To use the tranny from a Tacoma or 4RNR you need a gear driven tc along with an adapter (Inchworm, Marlib Crawler) to mount it to the tranny.

Yes, you will have to spend some more money but "engine swap" and "low budget" don't fit very wel together.

Quick Reply: FYI: 5VZ-FE V6 works fine with the auto A340H