86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Looking to buy some tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looking to buy some tie rods

I've been putting this off for way too long. I just bought some new Toyo M/t tires. Before I have them installed, I need to swap out my ties rods, inner and outer, before I get my alignment done.
I have been doing "some" research for best price/quality but, unfortunately I don't have enough time in my hectic life.
I know I have seen many of you guys (and girls) poat links to some really great sites with affordable prices on parts.
Could some of you please post some of the best sites you know of where I can buy some inner/outer tie rods for a 1991 Yota P/U, 3vze, 4wd?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
This is where I got mine, best brand made (Toyota):

https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html
Old 09-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I purchased Moog tie rods for my truck..

Buy a puller!!! Its so much easier then beating away at it with a BFH...
Old 09-11-2008, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went with MOOG as well. I got them from APWonline.com. Free shipping over $100 and the two cost me about $190

http://www.apwonline.com/additem.wws...S5HDK2GN0S63JP
Old 09-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Contributing Member

Oh that reminds me, Toyota will sell them as an assembly and IIRC it actually works out cheaper than buying the parts separate. (about $80 each side from the link I posted above) Part # 45460-39505 for my 93 truck

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-11-2008 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:34 AM

Awesome guys! Thanks for the info and links. I'll get started on looking up prices and availability.
Luckily, I do have a puller so, hopefully things will go smoothly.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:14 PM

Went with Moog as well, from RockAuto.com. Might have looked in to the whole assembly from Toyota if I'd have known, though mine were pretty easy anyhow.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:04 PM

A tie rod puller is way better than a pickle fork! Amen to that. I really like the 555 parts, sometimes you will find these in a variety of boxes: TRW, Federal Mogul, Moog, Sankei... 555 aka Three Five parts are made in Japan, and the 555 is stamped right on the part with an oval around it. Advance Auto has been selling them in TRW boxes for a while, but they are offically moving to Moog now. Call your local parts source and ask the guy to open the box and see what surprise is inside!
Old 09-12-2008, 04:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you had the recall done on the steering link?
Old 09-12-2008, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda
Have you had the recall done on the steering link?
I had that done about 3 years ago. Never got the recall in the mail. Just happened to be in the Toyota dealership getting a diagnostic when they informed me and swapped it out right there.
My tie rods, on both sides, are completely seized up and no amount of the best nut-loosener can break the nuts (w/out stripping). My last alignment was never completed because of this. The way they are posotioned, when it rains, which is a lot here in WA, it constantly drips straight down onto the tie rods and corrodes them overtime. Besides, I beleive they are the original and are due for a fresh replacement.

I went to apwonline yesterday but, couldn't get through the catalogue to find the correct part.
Went to 1sttoyotaparts and could find tie rods but, couldn't find any that matched up, inner and outer.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Yellowtruck
I had that done about 3 years ago. Never got the recall in the mail. Just happened to be in the Toyota dealership getting a diagnostic when they informed me and swapped it out right there.
My tie rods, on both sides, are completely seized up and no amount of the best nut-loosener can break the nuts (w/out stripping). My last alignment was never completed because of this. The way they are posotioned, when it rains, which is a lot here in WA, it constantly drips straight down onto the tie rods and corrodes them overtime. Besides, I beleive they are the original and are due for a fresh replacement.

I went to apwonline yesterday but, couldn't get through the catalogue to find the correct part.
Went to 1sttoyotaparts and could find tie rods but, couldn't find any that matched up, inner and outer.
Just call them and tell them what you want and that you are an internet customer. Those catalogs are very limited in selection, mainly just commonly ordered stuff.

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-12-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Though, I put in a call to my local delearship and had them do a search for me. He was able to finally find the correct parts I have been looking for, so no returns on mis-ordered parts will be in the future. Plus, they will be original Toyota parts. From the various prices I found online, the dealerships prices weren't too much more. For two inners and two outers, I paid $208.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

You didn't realize I guess that the link I gave you was for "original Toyota parts", they ARE a dealer. You could have gotten 2 complete assemblies for $160 from them, but what ever.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:23 AM

I did notice. I was having trouble (confusion) over which ones to pick. The ones listed were pretty vague. I opted to spend a few extra and get the right parts versus having to make a time-consuming return. This is a project I'm impatient to get completed, finally. I'll have them in a couple of days and finally be done with this project and get my new tires installed and move on to the next project.
Your link and advice was much appreciated though.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Contributing Member

Hope you get what you needed, but I'm thinking if you buy the inner and the outer seperate you don't get this middle part (but maybe I'm wrong).

BTW when you put them on brush anti-sieze all over the adjuster threads and these will probably be the last set you ever buy. Good luck
Old 09-12-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Ewwww.......the dreaded adjuster sleeve! I nearly chewed mine to pieces with a pipe wrench trying to get the original tie rod ends out.

Thanks for all the info/heads up, Dale. Something I didn't know, but will remember for the future.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

hmmm I need to do a tie rod on my beast too... thanks for the link...
it's just the out right that's messed up but if it's cheap enough I may just do the whole assembly, rather then try to torch the adjuster to get her loose.
I'll just use the existing one as a baseline for install and get an alignment done after...
Old 09-12-2008, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Hope you get what you needed, but I'm thinking if you buy the inner and the outer seperate you don't get this middle part (but maybe I'm wrong).

BTW when you put them on brush anti-sieze all over the adjuster threads and these will probably be the last set you ever buy. Good luck
Oh crap! I completely over looked that. I am so glad that you mentioned that. I just called the dealership to find out if it is included and it's not. The parts guy I spoke this morning over looked that too. Each sleeve is priced at $36 each. Since he over looked that part, he dropped each sleeve down to $16 each. He also priced each item separately and for the entire assembly. Oddly, ordering them separately came out cheaper.
Good catch on that Mt Goat! You just saved me some frustration and time.