86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

IntermittentStartingProblem, '93Truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question IntermittentStartingProblem, '93Truck

Hi, my little truck ('93 4-cyl x-cab, 22-RE, about 265,000 miles) has a problem on about 1/10 of all starts. It makes no noise at all--no clicks, no trying to turn over. The dash lights come on and the seatbelt buzzer, etc., but nothing from the ignition or starter. I stop and cuss or mutter a little prayer or spell. Almost always, on the second try it starts right up as if there was nothing wrong at all. However, a couple of times it has made me try 3 or 4 times. I cannot tell (because it doesn't happen quite often enough for me to compare all the variables) if that had to do with me letting it roll a couple of feet, or pumping the clutch or gas, or turning the steering wheel so it locked... i might have done something. But honestly, the problem seems completely intermittent and random.
I had a similar problem last year and the alternator was replaced. This time it's been going on for about a month, so even though i trust the beloved lil truck to eventually start up, this can't be good-- i took it to my usual mechanic. They cleaned the terminal connections between the battery (which is strong) and the cables, said everything else tested out fine, and $110 later, i was good to go. It started normally about a dozen times that afternoon, while i ran errands.
Until that evening. And the next morning. Same problem!
Now my issue is that i am NOT A MECHANIC. I don't understand very technical advice. But i am trying to help my mechanic narrow it down because i can't afford to go in there and have them just try everything again. So i suggested a relay switch, and they said, Yep, that might be it--do i want them to order one?
However, elsewhere online i read that if a relay switch is fried, it won't start at all--the problem wouldn't be intermittent. Also, i read that in some models, the solenoid and the relay switch are two separate things, and if not the relay switch, i might replace the solenoid.
So THE QUESTIONS:
Are the solenoid and the starter relay switch the same thing on a '93 truck? If not, which is the less expensive part? And would that be the reasonable thing to try first? Also, if the solenoid and relay ARE the same, is that what i do now--replace it?
Note: the mechanic did tell me last week that although my battery is fairly strong, he recommends i get better cables to it when i do replace it; they're a bit undersized and old-looking. However, when i bought the battery in 2016, i did get new fusable links--if that relates at all.
Thank you for any help you can give. I throw hundreds of dollars every month into this truck's upkeep, but so far it's been worth it (and cheaper than payments on a new truck). Trying to keep it to a minimum, though.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:44 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
An hour of labor to clean your battery terminals seems excessive. Yeah everybody has to make $ to stay in business but whoa!

Rad4Runner has published the definitive thread on this starter system, Google will find several copies of it for you if you ask nicely.

It's really super simple to test also.
The following users liked this post:
LauraLuvsHerLilTruck (12-30-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 10:41 AM

Thanks, Co_94... checking out the threads.
Old 12-30-2019, 12:27 PM

Received 284 Likes on 212 Posts
the next time you turn the key and nothing happens don't immediately let off of the key, press harder on the clutch pedal or let off and press again and see if it starts.
If this makes it start you probably just need to adjust the clutch start switch a little so that the pedal trips it a little farther from the floor.
if that doesn't work keep the clutch pedal mashed to the floor and wiggle the key while holding it in the start position.
If this makes it start you either need to clean the contacts or replace the ignition switch.
Either way you should still check out Rad4Runner's write up and see if you truck needs the starter relay modification.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Please always indicate model-year-engine-TRANSMISSION-trim

Yes, check, clean to bare, shiny metal and tighten all connections.
I am in San Diego, I need to see what you are dealing with if I were to help.
Early trucks were made like Frankenstein was just starting his career; they vary from model, part of the year, etc.
A picture paints a thousand words.
Does your truck have a starter relay? Where?
Early trucks are easy to work on. Just need our senses (smell, see, hear, feel symptoms- but sense of taste not advisable in automotive troubleshooting - LOL) and the multi-meter. Start the year right by getting a $7 one from Harbor Freight, if you don't have one.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-30-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:32 AM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Sounds like the classic starter relay wiring/voltage drop issue. See page 8 of my build for the fix https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199/stanzs-1986-4runner-252537/index8.html
Old 02-05-2020, 03:43 PM

Thank you all for your help. I got a new starter relay, and while they were at it, had them put in some new cables (starter to battery, etc.). It's been about 3 weeks and she starts like a charm every time. Not sure it was the relay--could've been the wires--but it feels good to have it all tight and functional now!
The following users liked this post:
old87yota (02-15-2020)