Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How much to rebuild a w56?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dang toyota trannys. i always break them. this is my 3rd one and reverse is gettin a lil noisy! i wish i could find a used one around here for a 100 bucks! that would be a deal. they go for around 250 used here on the south coast!
Old 04-12-2008, 03:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by linuxrunner
wow, sorry guys i guess i forgot about this one.

I did get it rebuilt at a local transmission shop.

It started to make this random clicking noise like a gear tooth was broke off and rattling around (when the opened it they found many broke off)... then i couldn't get into 1st at all...

I even kept driving it starting in second until my clutch wouldn't grab anymore that's what happens when you start in 2nd for 3k city miles.

Gave a good fight had over 240k on it and they told me it looked like it was never rebuild and was original.

If i remember it was like 895 or something pretty much $900 and needed almost everything replaced, 2 bad gears, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, rev, syncros were bad, bad input shaft, bad clutch, all bearings were bad.... Lots more i cannot remember off the top of my head.

When I got it back (only took 1.5 days) i found a few new things they never told me about... new master and slave cylinder, and new clutch lines, somebody had welded up all the holes in my exhaust. Topped of the engine oil, and cleaned most of the underside of the rig including the engine block. And also new shifter knobs

Yeah, $900 could have got me 9 used transmissions from craigslist. But It is my only driver so the hard part was not the money its trying to figure out how to be without a car for 2 days.

Plus i live in Oregon and every time i try to work on my rig it rains like a mad man.

i've put on about 20k since the rebuild and it's pretty solid... although last week i noticed that it took me a few tries to get into reverse But then today it went in as smooth as butter so i don't know.

Man I wish I had a shop like that around here. If I did I probably never would have learned to do anything at all to my truck because I would have let them do everything.

I am glad I can do just about everything to my truck now by myself, but man it sure would be nice every once in a while to just take it in and have an honest mechanic do it for me.

Glad you got it fixed...
Old 04-12-2008, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The rebuild kits from Marlin are good kits. I bought one for my 82 and I did it in a weekend. Could have had it done it a day if I were pressed for time. I think it was something like $180 two years ago or something. Its not a hard thing to do though with some tools and the FSM at your side. And it has given me no troubles till October when I stopped driving it because I had my diesel finished.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linuxrunner
i've put on about 20k since the rebuild and it's pretty solid... although last week i noticed that it took me a few tries to get into reverse But then today it went in as smooth as butter so i don't know.
I don't think it's anything abnormal to not shift into reverse. Every truck with the w56 I've ever had was like that. Quick tip: put in first and then shift back into reverse. I heard this a long time ago, and there was a reason why it works, but I can't remember. Anyway, it seems to work.