86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hole at base of carburetor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hole at base of carburetor?

I hate to sound like an idiot, but I've searched and not found my answer.

I'm disassembling my carb to throw it in the ultrasonic cleaner, and realized that there is an open hole at the base of my carburetor. I'm no expert, but I assume that the inside of the carb shouldn't be open to atmosphere...

You can see in my pic, the white towel through the center of the hole.

What goes in this hole? And what is the weird screw/ stud in the hole above it?

The truck was given to me with a broke 22R... I put a different motor in it and was able to limp it 5 miles to my new home, but it ran like crap and there was fuel coming out of the accelerator pump, and condensation dripping from the ice-cold vacuum lines (I assume from fuel evaporating in the vac system), so I decided it was time for a rebuild. I grew up with fuel injection, so this is only my second carb rebuild and I did the last one 12 years ago with mixed results.

Believe me, I've read through a ton of threads already and am following a few walkthroughs as I disassemble.

Name:  IMG_20140717_223629_zps6d92b600.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  108.3 KB
Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 PM

Just found a pic online saying that's where the idle mixture screw should be. Can someone confirm this for me please?

If so... holy crap, no wonder it ran like garbage.

I don't know what has and hasn't been tinkered with on this truck... apparently someone really dicked around with it in the past.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:55 PM

Bumping this up. Trying to find a replacement mixture screw. Anyone have a part number, or link, to where I can buy one? Advance and Autozone don't stock direct fit replacements, they have Edelbrock and Holley
Old 07-28-2014, 02:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by slimbobaggins
Just found a pic online saying that's where the idle mixture screw should be. Can someone confirm this for me please?

If so... holy crap, no wonder it ran like garbage.

I don't know what has and hasn't been tinkered with on this truck... apparently someone really dicked around with it in the past.
yes, that is the mixture screw.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by slimbobaggins
Yes, as was stated, idle mixture screw.

It looks like the parts are sold individually, but you will need to confirm.

In the attached parts fiche:

Spring: 21723-37040
Screw Needle: 21271-35010
Attached Thumbnails Hole at base of carburetor?-21-03-carburetor_02.png  
Old 07-29-2014, 08:28 AM

Thanks for the part numbers. After I posted this, I ordered an Edelbrock mixture screw on the off chance it would fit because it's dirt cheap. If that doesn't work, I'll start pursuing these part nos.

Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:38 AM

Just for documentation purposes, in case anyone comes across this issue in the future, it's impossible to source a new mixture screw for the carb.

Toyota has discontinued it... the parts counter at the dealership can't order it, the websites that list it online don't actually have it (I emailed them and they all wrote back saying they can get the spring, but not the screw), no one that I found carries a compatible part. It might certainly be possible to buy every mixture screw you can find out there and you might come across one that fits, but it's not practical.

So that leaves getting a used one, which is what I ended up doing. Might be simple for someone that's got a bunch of yota's laying around in the junkyard, but unfortunately for me, the only yard within 150mi of me that had a carb'ed yota wanted $150 for the entire carb as-is no warranty. Luckily I made a WTB post on here and got hooked up with a cheap "parts" carb from 85sr5excab.

Carb should be here today, hopefully I'll have some time in the near future to finish the rebuild and get the truck on the road.