86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP!!!!!! need advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!!!!! need advice

okay so last wednesday i went out chewing with some buds down the pelican forest service road and followed my bud into a hole that was a little too deep. needles to say i sucked up some water. make that alot of water, full intake up to the EFI air valve. after about an hour and a half to two hours we finally got her turned over and started after removing spark plugs, intake, and filter to dry. cranked it a few times to get water out of the cylinders with the plugs out. ran like crap all the way the to the main road( blackwater for those of you who know the area) and for the next few days, but i didnt care cause it ran. so the next morning got the oil changed and new air filter. with in the first 500 km my oil was black and it pissed oil like no other.

so took it into a shop and they looked at the motor and this is what i got back:
-valve cover, timeing cover, oil pan leaks
-excessive blow by
-comperssion is #1 150 #2 150 #3 150 #4 100 130 when wet
-needs rings and reseal

and to add to that my tranny is skrewed. its an auto and i have to drive it like a standard for it to shift smoothly, if i dont let up on the gas to let it shift it revs till 5500 rpm and then lurches into gear
my transfercase is leaking i think i could be wrong but there is a bunch of oil there
my front diff pinion seal leaks

add all that up i need roughly a new motor and tranny possibly a new transfer case

i would love to keep my 4runner its in pretty decent shape for being up north here in prince george, minus the motor and trannny, limited rust on the body and frame is the best ive seen up here.

what are my options? and whats the best way to go about this?
rebuild with new or rebuilt motor and new standard tranny or bite the big one and start the long process of finding a new yota?
Old 11-01-2008, 06:23 PM

and im still awaiting a quote from the shop for how much it would be to either put in a rebuilt one or rebuild mine with no mention of a tranny
Old 11-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Compression isn't bad and #4 will probably be fine after you take it apart and clean things up.

I'd salvage it if it were mine and stay out of the mud/water next time.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:11 PM

ouch.... seriusly... ouch....

If I was in your boat (heh) I would find a used motor & tranny, and bring it to the shop to swap it out for ya.

If you have the space to work on it, try the swap yourself. only thing special you really need is a cherry picker, and they are relatively cheap.

Just be VERY carefull to take pictures of EVERYTHING, before, after, and during, and taking full notes, labelling everything, putting all parts into bags/boxes/cans, etc..

so when you finish, and you have that unknown connector at the end... you know where it goes.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
find a wrecked yota and use the motor tranny tcase or just collect parts as you find them and treat that thing with some respect!
Old 11-01-2008, 11:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if that thing is ifs.. i would just go buy a sfa yota and be nice to it
edit: i had an 86 and i wheeled the hell out of it and ended up killing it so i went and bought a real nice 84 and its been great so far i think thats the best choice i could have made.. just a thought

Last edited by algranger; 11-01-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:08 PM

well out here its only water and mud so i cant really treat it nicely on that stuff bu8t ya im gonna do the new motor and tranny but one question if i pick up a 22r could i convert it to a 22re just by swaping the carb with the efi intake cause my truck is wired and ready for it?