Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Opinions On Detroit Trutrac Limited Slip.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions On Detroit Trutrac Limited Slip.

I was wondering what u guys thought about the detroit trutrac limited slip differential. my runner is a daily driver and i'm building it for light wheelin and ice fishing. i've heard horror stories about lockers on ice. would this be a better option?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Truetrac isn't a locker, is a limited slip. Try the search function, there are lots of threads on this already. Why don't you search and link them to this thread?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:10 PM

I have one in the the rear diff. I don't even notice it is back there until I need it. It hasn't let me down yet. Also really good for a DD
Old 11-02-2008, 07:12 PM

i knew it wasn't a locker already. i did search, but couldn't find anything about the limited slip. i wanted the most current info as possible, not a thread from 6mo. or so. i heard they had a reliabilty issue and if so has it been fixed. maybe some other brands?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:54 PM

Its spelt Truetrac. Here's teh search results. (click here) 6 mo. old info is just as good as yesterday's info, seeing as they've been around in one form or another for many many years.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:27 PM

OH SORRY! i did not know there was a spell check patrol! "truetrac" or "trutrac", i would hope people would know what was bieng talked about. oh yeah, your search link works real well! it just brought me to a "sorry no matches found" page! so far with the time you've put into your responses and searches, you could have just told me what your opinion was. next time, don't be such a dick about it. must be a high shool punk! try pirate 4x4, it might be more your speed(flaming and making snied remarks)feel free to spell check this!oh yeah, it's spelled "the" not "teh"

Last edited by STEVE_R; 11-02-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:48 PM

Dude, no offence meant, but it does get frustrating for some people to hear the same question posed over and over and over again.

I know you're still pretty new here and maybe haven't gotten the feel for the place yet, but snapping back at someone won't win you any friends. Yes, he could have simply posted his answer, but honestly...the forums are full of posts on TrueTracs vs Aussie vs ARB Air Locker, etc.

If you're not a fan of his response, I assure you that asking the same question that's been posed a hundred times before on a board like Pirate will get you your behind handed to you on a platter.

This place is pretty good, full of useful information, and has a generally nicer population. Don't be one of the other types.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:49 PM

For snow and Ice they rock, I have them front and rear and they are great. They got me out of a bunch of yesterday out wheeling on a turkey run/ poker run.
I would have liked a locker a couple of times based on some realy tire lifting situations but a little brake and go pedal took care of that!
Good product, I think I just need more unfortunently. I said I wouldnt be doing a SAS and now it looks like its possibly in the near future.

Truetracs are great, reliable invisible on the road and engage and work seamless!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:00 PM

Arb Air Locker...
Old 11-02-2008, 09:27 PM

rob: sorry for taking offense to his response, i've had problems with him before with a couple of other threads i've started, all over stupid little things. if plugging up the thread is the issue, then why answer like he did? i don't get much computer time due to work and family activities. (with the exception of tonite.) i posted here cause of the nicer community, that pirate can be brutal! i tried the search first and found nothing i was looking for. if you or anybody knows or finds of a thread , posting it would be greatly appreciated! and as far as bieng new, i found this site a couple years ago. just didn't join or post until earlier this year. anyway, keep opinions coming! thanx.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:32 PM

I consider the truetrac a locker myself. It doesn't work the sameway as a limited slip...sorry...but it doesn't have slipper clutches that wear out like traditional limited slips...it has an all gear design...which is far superior...I'm nor sure where they work better...but it would be great as a DD...hope this helps! Sorry I'm not an ass...unfortunately I wasn't born one.
Old 11-02-2008, 10:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But its not a locker 91Toyota. It is a limited slip because it does just that. Functions the same as any other LSD. Just stronger and more likely to last longer (especially in a DD) than a traditional LSD with clutches.

I have one in my rear axle. It's a good upgrade for someone looking for a good upgrade without the expense (selectable locker) and hassle of a full locker (for onroad).

I plan to swap mine out for a E-locker and ARB in the front down the road but my needs and desires have far surpassed the limitations and capabilities of a LSD.

Goodluck!

btw, I've used mine on ice/snow/rocks/gravel/sand/ every substrate and terrain. It's better in the snow than open diffs but sketch on the ice. You'll get more forward momentum on ice with it but with that little traction it locks up the rear and handles like a real locker, but thats ice, what can you expect. In the snow, it rocks!

Last edited by drew303; 11-02-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by drew303
But its not a locker 91Toyota. It is a limited slip because it does just that. Functions the same as any other LSD. Just stronger and more likely to last longer (especially in a DD) than a traditional LSD with clutches.

I have one in my rear axle. It's a good upgrade for someone looking for a good upgrade without the expense (selectable locker) and hassle of a full locker (for onroad).

I plan to swap mine out for a E-locker and ARB in the front down the road but my needs and desires have far surpassed the limitations and capabilities of a LSD.

Goodluck!

btw, I've used mine on ice/snow/rocks/gravel/sand/ every substrate and terrain. It's better in the snow than open diffs but sketch on the ice. You'll get more forward momentum on ice with it but with that little traction it locks up the rear and handles like a real locker, but thats ice, what can you expect. In the snow, it rocks!
Yes...I totally agree with you...its STILL a limited slip..just works a little different. My bad. I was going to get one but decided just to buy a 4x4 Personally if your going to keep this truck spend the extra dough and get a selectable locker...imho
Old 11-03-2008, 05:07 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Technically, the TT isn't a limited slip either since there are no clutch plates or other friction elements.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The TT is technically a limited slip because that is what it does. I just does it differently. It does have friction elements, but they are not clutches. Their helical gears bind up instead limiting slip.

I have had 3 of them. As mentioned they are great in ice/snow. They are great of medium grade wheeling. You can get them to transfer substantially more torque using the brake pedal or ebrake but that is also how you break them. I broke one doing that.

In the end they won't replace a locker but if you hardly ever need a locker and drive a lot on icy pavement they work really well.

Frank
Old 11-03-2008, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

I have one in the front of my truck. Works great. They compliment a rear locker very well. I would not put one in the rear end only the front.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by STEVE_R
rob: sorry for taking offense to his response, i've had problems with him before with a couple of other threads i've started, all over stupid little things. if plugging up the thread is the issue, then why answer like he did? i don't get much computer time due to work and family activities. (with the exception of tonite.) i posted here cause of the nicer community, that pirate can be brutal! i tried the search first and found nothing i was looking for. if you or anybody knows or finds of a thread , posting it would be greatly appreciated! and as far as bieng new, i found this site a couple years ago. just didn't join or post until earlier this year. anyway, keep opinions coming! thanx.
I was merely pointing to the correct spelling so you could search for it. Then I posted the search results.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by elripster
The TT is technically a limited slip because that is what it does. I just does it differently. It does have friction elements, but they are not clutches. Their helical gears bind up instead limiting slip.

I have had 3 of them. As mentioned they are great in ice/snow. They are great of medium grade wheeling. You can get them to transfer substantially more torque using the brake pedal or ebrake but that is also how you break them. I broke one doing that.

In the end they won't replace a locker but if you hardly ever need a locker and drive a lot on icy pavement they work really well.

Frank
Whoa, a 6x6 4Runner

Automatics or manuals? I imagine it could be an exercise in frustration with the 22RE's ~90rwhp applying the brakes going uphill.

Last edited by Matt16; 11-03-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One: It is a limited slip.

Second: Great for driving in the snow on the road. I loved mine in the winter.

Third: Offroad, it sucks balls. Never works when you need it. People talk about brake biasing. I could put my ebrake on completely, so it was lugging the truck, and it wouldn't lock up.

If you do mild wheeling, and mostly DD, then this is a great product. If you want something thats going to keep you moving on a really rough trail, get a real locker.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:04 AM

Thanks AxleIke...curious as to why you didn't post in any of my previous threads about this VERY same subject...but glad you did...because this limited slip would not work for my application...because I have all the weight on one tire and the other barely off the ground (no traction at all) and you make it sound like it doesn't lock the rear very well when needed...I need a lock-right

Quick Reply: Opinions On Detroit Trutrac Limited Slip.