Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

3vze engine code 42

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3vze engine code 42

Hello everybody im back again,
I was driving my bone stock 3vze 5 speed 4runner very overloaded up a huge hill when out of the darkness i got the check engine light flashed in my face. I tried pulling over and restarting the engine, which turned the light off until i accelerated again and it very quickly came back on. However, in the time it took me to find another place to pull over the light switched back off and stayed off for the next 400 miles. When the light was on i noticed no ill effects on the engine or performance, and all gauges were reading normal.

Upon reaching the destination i pulled out the trusty paper clip and got a code 42, or (possibly code 4 and code 2)? a quick google search gives me the result "VEHICLE SPEED SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT--NO SPD. SIGNAL FOR SEVERAL SECONDS WHILE VEHICLE IS OPERATED UNDER HEAVY LOAD (TPS/MAP/AIR FLOW INPUTS)" Anyone have any idea how i should go about dealing with this? If the light is off am i ok?
Old 05-28-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by foppert
... If the light is off am i ok?
Sure. Until it comes back on again. At night. In the middle of nowhere ....

Yours is an 89? Do you know if it has one digit or two digit codes? http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TroubleCodes/

2 digit codes are found here: http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...85diagnosi.pdf

If you have an '89, your speed sensor is a reed switch in the combination meter (speedometer). Did your speedometer act up before you got the code? Could be a wonky speedo cable. Otherwise, I would suspect a problem with the sensor inside the Combo meter. Probably fixable if you're handy with a soldering iron, but if not you might consider a combo meter swap.

Losing the speed sensor should cause drivability problems. I can't say why you were lucky.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:03 PM

I think i have an r150 transmission, is this correct?

As much as i would love to use this as an excuse to get an sr5 cluster, the speedo was not acting up at all, all the gauges appeared normal and i sensed no drivability issues, I've been googling around and i cannot figure out where exactly the speed sensor is on this transmission.

Note: Before i saw the check engine light i did hit a traffic cone that was in the middle of the road with the passenger front tire, i figured it would be safer than trying to make a quick maneuver in the overloaded state my truck was in. The light did not come on immediately after i hit the cone and i figure that if i knocked the wire off with the cone the sensor would not have come back. Im not saying hitting the cone was related to the light or the cause of the problem just that it is the only abnormal thing that happened on the drive before i saw the light.

On a side note: What is the speed sensor used for on a manual? i don't have cruise control or anything fancy..

Last edited by foppert; 05-28-2014 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'89 is the 2-code.

If the manual is the same as the automatic, the speedo cable is connected to the back of the transfercase. Car will drive without the speed sensor without much issue. I drove for 2 months without the cable trying to find a replacement. Its not optimal but driveability is fine. If you speedo doesn't bounce alot, I'd probably agree its the sensor itself but I'd put this one in a, just wait and see if it comes back. If it keeps failing, then replacement...but I'm cheap too!
Old 05-31-2014, 04:04 PM

Thanks guys, i tried disconnecting the speedo cable altogether and found that sure enough, up a big hill the light came back. The light went away again before i could plug the speedo cable back in even though the engine was idling the whole time. Ill start looking for a new cluster just in case but for now i haven't seen any drivability issues and i'm in no hurry

After some research i found one article that said if the sensor isn't working the computer might start cutting fuel to the engine because the engineers wanted to limit the speed of the truck, i however have seen no evidence of this.

Thanks to everyone that helped out.

ps... if someone could point me to how to clear the computer of that code that would be helpful,