86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 3VZE Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1995 3VZE Fuel Pump

What kind of sound does a fuel pump make? Is it loud and distinct? I jumped the B+ and FP checked and am getting 12 volts where the pump plugs in. I can't hear a distinct sound even with a stethoscope on the tank. Just to hear its sound, can I connect a good uninstalled pump up to 12volts without hurting it. Doesn't seem to be pressure in fuel hose "in or return" but not sure what pressure would feel like. Its extremely cold outside and hoses are hard to squeeze. Using the stethoscope I can't hear a sound in the hoses either. Just trying to be certain before draining and dropping fuel tank. Does the the 1995 base model 4x4 pickup have an anti syphon device in the fuel tank filler tube. I'd like to try and get most of the fuel out that way. I don't have a single container for the 10+ gallons that would evacuate from the tank drain.

Last edited by Catamount; 01-04-2011 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crack the banjo bolt on the driver side rail and jump it and see if she spurt fuel
Old 01-03-2011, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you leave the cap on you can put the drain plug back in when the tank breathes and not get to gassy
Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can also disconect the plastic air hose from the AFM, turn the key to the ON posittion , with OUT the truck running, and if you take your fingers and push the flap door open in the AFM that will turn on the fuel pump too, the sound is a "wining" and is definatly noticable without the truck running.
Old 01-03-2011, 06:05 PM

If I crack the banjo bolt will I need a new washer or seal before tightening back?
Old 01-03-2011, 06:26 PM

I found out not to run a dry pump indeed it will get damaged!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:14 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
a) On my truck, you can easily hear the "whirring" sound of the pump while standing at the diagnostic connector. If you have a relatively quiet spot and can't hear it, it's probably not running. If you can't hear it back at the tank, then I'm sure it's not running.

b) If you remove any banjo bolt, you are "supposed" to replace the aluminum crush washers. They're not expensive (about a buck) but the only place I've ever found to get them is the dealer. Many claim to reuse them (even I've done that once or twice), but it is worth avoiding that practice.

You can just pull off the low-pressure return hose if all you want to see is whether fuel is flowing.

c) Don't run a fuel pump dry, at least not for more than a second.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:44 AM

What is the AFM, what does it look like and where is it located. When jumped I'm getting 12volts all the way in back at the connector for the pump so assume all the electronics under the hood are working. There definitely is no sound from pump so will start the change out. Any more advice on emptying the tank? Thanx folk
I now believe its the Air Flow Meter on top of the Air Filter Housing. I'll try it when testing and priming the new pump.

Last edited by Catamount; 01-05-2011 at 05:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:51 PM

I have the back of my truck jacked up to make more work space underneath. When I loosened the plug nut to start my drain, fuel ran out along the under surface of the tank. Glad I had a drip tray in place. I tightened the drain and lowered the back end enough so the drain was slightly lower than the rest of the tank (wheels off and jack stands). clean flow after that. Closing the gas cap disrupted the flow enough to help close the drain to exchange gas cans. Be sure to use a funnel with a screen keeps fuel cleaner and keeps the drain nut from clogging funnel in case it drops in. Reach towards the drain from above. If you reach from below gas will run down your arm. No way to avoid splashing but not to bad.
I have now removed the tank. The filler tube doesn't have an anti syphon device just a number of places one can get caught up on. Next time I plan to use a syphon hose and avoid the drain mess. Lowering the tank via a hydraulic jack was a big help. You do have to jockey it around to clear various obstacles. However it is unstable and I feared it dropping and yank damaging hoses or wiring. I used two 10" risers on either side of the jack. I lowered the tank to rest on these and had plenty of slack in hoses, wires and room above to disconnect everything. I discovered there are three hose connections above the aft parking brake lever, two clamped and one pressure connection. A 14mm flange nut and 19mm open end wrench are needed. The 19mm is the one that turns. Be sure to disconnect the filler tube near the beginning other wise it pushes the tank against the drive shaft. There are three screws through the body holding the top. Removing these helped when pulling the tube free. Lowering the tank a few inches also help to reach the band clamps which were probably installed before the bed was. The tube was corrosion welded in place. A spray of WD-40 got under the rubber and it slipped right off. So even though all hoses can be disconnected before lowering the plastic wire connectors are fragile, oriented with little room and stuck due to corrosion and the wires aren't long enough. So I think lowering most of the way then disconnecting everything and using a syphon makes it easier.

Last edited by Catamount; 01-06-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:45 PM

Monday, I was headed into work, decided to stop and grab a paper to read with breakfast, came out of the shop jumped into the truck and it fired and then died. I cranked it several times, it almost started once but as I gave it gas stalled. I thought for sure it had jumped time as I could smell gas. I waited a few minutes and tried again. I could no longer smell gas, but couldn't wait any longer and called a buddy to grab me on his way into work.

During a break I had a buddy run me down and on the way grabbed a can of starting fluid, long story short after a quick blast I was firing up but dieing out, so I knew it was fuel related.

After work a buddy took me over and we started looking. I jumped B+ to FP and got nothing, another friend saw us and stopped, he took one look and said that sometimes the pump gets a flat spot and that if you bump it enough they sometimes start up again, he got on his back and gave a dozen good kicks to the fuel tank and I jumped B+ to FP again, and I could hear the pump then. It started right up and I drove it home.

It has started several times again, but I do not trust it and have not taken it anywhere, I've ordered a pump and will replace it this weekend.

Might give it a try to see if you can get it spinning again, if you do I would certainly look at replacing the pump.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:40 PM

Angerydogtattoo: Cool trick, to late to try now but good to know as it might have saved me the cost of a tow home.