84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

New engine.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New engine.........

this is just some FYI for everyone and need opinions.. I have changed every seal besides the head gasket in hopes of fixing my oil leaks.. All along the oil was coming out the dipstick.. The rings on the pistons are leaking, so pressure is building up in the block.. pushing oil out the dipstick.. So I'm buying a new longblock.. i found a company with a 7 year/70,000 mile warranty for about $1500.. this is a bit hopped up producing 135 horses and 170+ lbs torque... LC Engineering produces a great engine for close to $4,000.. Looks like a great engine but I can't afford that much.. Any opinions on engines? Once i decide which engine, can I leave the exhaust and intake in the vehicle and slide to the side to remove and place the new longblock? Any tricks for engine replacement because I'm dreading this? i've done just about everything but an engine replacement....
Old 11-13-2007, 10:19 AM

why not just check the cylinders for spec and if they are in tolerance just get new rings.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 AM

I don't have any of the tools or expertise for the internal engine.. I've performed all labor myself on my rig, but i just haven't ever worked on guts of the engine.. To get new rings and fix, isn't this like replacing the engine because of the labor cost? wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new long block and i perform the switch? Thx for the advice......
Old 11-13-2007, 11:53 AM

You should find a cheap used engine on craigslist and take the plunge in rebuilding it yourself. Once you do it you will wonder how you ever considered paying some one else to do it. I spent a lot of money on my 3.0 but I recently helped a friend of mine do his 22re and the final bill was under $800 including all machine work and parts. We replaced everything, new cam/timing cover/chain and guides, pistons, rings ,Oil pump. The rebuild kit can be had for under $300. Looking at your sig I would say this is your next step in the evolution of auto repair. If you do this to a $100 Craigslist engine then you wont be without wheels.

Edit... think of it as an excuse to buy more tools
Old 11-13-2007, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by bretthayes
I don't have any of the tools or expertise for the internal engine.. I've performed all labor myself on my rig, but i just haven't ever worked on guts of the engine.. To get new rings and fix, isn't this like replacing the engine because of the labor cost? wouldn't it be cheaper to buy a new long block and i perform the switch? Thx for the advice......
it depends on what shop rates are on the machining

I would find a truck that is rusted out that someone is selling cheap or just a good motor and swap out motors and save some money unless your truck is in really good condition other than the motor.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had blown my head gasket on my 22re a few weeks back and found out my head was no good... decided i should just rebuild the whole thing (has 130k) so i went to a place i trust do do the work and they told me they would rebuild it with replacing the head with a brand new head for $1200-$1500... figured its not a bad deal so now i just have to wait untill its done
Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM

you all make some great points and thx for the advice.. rebuilding the engine is the next evolution of my auto mechanics.. I've always decided buying some tools plus doing it myself was the way to go.. I don't drive everyday to work because I work from home and can spend the time between office trips to work on it.. so you think rebuilding the engine and having a machine shop do the surfacing etc is the way to go? I'm just not sure the tricks of the trade in engine rebuilding can be had off the internet? And does it outway buying a $1500 beefed up longblock.. 7 year/70,0000 mile warranty.. The experience is priceless I know, but i like to 4-wheel also.. meaning, I don't want this to be a 2 month project in the middle of 4wheeling season because I screwed up which way the rings go in the pistons....
Old 11-13-2007, 11:01 PM

I would read the fine print on that warranty if you do buy a motor I bet theres something about voiding it if you use the truck for off roading if not that is a pretty nice deal except if you do have problems with it you will have to pull it and send it back to the place you bought it.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:27 PM

you should check your pcv valve
Old 11-14-2007, 02:09 AM

What neck of the woods are you in maybe there is some one local who would not mind helping you out with some experience. That would probably be enough to push you over the edge into rebuilding it your self I'm guessing
Old 11-14-2007, 08:56 AM

I checked my PCV valve and its functioning properly.. I wish it was that simple.. I've been trying different types of oil and been using 20w50 lately.. I am going to try one last thing and go to 5w30 for sh**s and grins.. Probably nothing will change.. I'm about 30 min East of Palm Springs in the San Gorgonio Pass.. I don't know too many Toy guys because I'm part of a Jeep club.. If I had someone to help, i would definitely rebuild it myself.. But i will put in the engine myself.. Anyone near by? I checked about the warranty and if something happens to the engine, i would just get an estimate from a local mechanic.. They will pay for the repair.. Seems like a good deal..
Old 11-14-2007, 09:00 AM

Ganoid.. Here's the website for the engines.. http://www.chspdx.com/html/whatis.html
They are in Portland.. Are they near you?

Does anyone know anything about them?
Old 11-14-2007, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

I have 22r for sale, where are you located?
Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 PM

I need a 22RE, but i know the block is compatible.. what year is the block? Condition? I'm in SoCal near Palm Springs