84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

need advise on OME 2" lift kit. help

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advise on OME 2" lift kit. help

Hey I am finally installing an all new bolt on Old Man Emu springs all around, on my 1985 Toyota 4 runner. ON the rear springs I have run into an issue with getting the fixed end pin into the hanger. The pin fits nice in the spring eye bushes but that diameter is to big to slide through the hanger. the only way to get it in that i can come up with is to either file the hanger holes larger; which would leave a gap where the pin is suppsed to rest on the hanger tab;or bend the hanger tabs out then in and around the pin loaded spring end. whew. Hope this makes sense and i hope someone can help me. its probably something simple but the instructions dont address this issue. it seems like it should just slide in from the side but it wont fit. thanks for any help on this.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:50 AM

I had the same problem with my 1985 when I installed the OME kit last summer. If I remember correctly, we drilled out the outside hanger hole so that the pin could slide through. I don't think there was any other way to make it work. Once you tighten the nuts down it won't go anywhere.

I will be curious to know if you have any trouble with your draglink dragging on the spring U-bolts. I installed the special, flattened, OME U-bolts but still had to order a Pro-comp drop style draglink to fix the problem. I went heavy springs in the front because I put on an ARB bumper with a Warn 8000.

If you have this problem just let me know and I can send you a photo with draglink installed.

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2007, 01:49 AM
Drama Queen/Banned

Are you trying to install the old man emu greasable pins SUOMEGP3?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:00 PM

GP3s thats right. Ya thats what i decided after thinkin bout it at work to do. thanks for the help.d rillin the outside hole is going to be the way to go. Now if my rotator cuff will cooperate I am going to get some springs under this followed by an axle so I can relocate outta my parents garage.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Like to see pic's of your setup and thoughts on ride.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by SLC97SR5
Like to see pic's of your setup and thoughts on ride.
Not sure who you're asking but here's mine. OME heavy springs up front and medium spring in rear with firm shocks all around. Ride is excellent on the road. Haven't really tested it off road yet. I got more than 2 inches of lift. I would say 3"+. In fact, it was too much to use the stock draglink and had to order a Procomp drop style draglink. Otherwise, everything worked out well with the install.
Attached Thumbnails need advise on OME 2" lift kit. help-front-corner-view-small.jpg   need advise on OME 2" lift kit. help-side-view-small-4.jpg  

Last edited by Wardamneagle; 12-07-2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:15 AM

Ya the rear is all I have under mine right now and these are sittin pretty tall (3" at least). I have not put the top back on yet though. Have you had any loss in lift (sag) yet? If this is how the fronts sit, I am surely going to be in need of a drop drag link but there is still more sanding to do. So I gatta quit typing and focus. Nice Toyota War.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:18 AM

Oh an most that lift I think comes from the fact that the old springs were older than me and sagging like mad.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:36 AM
esh

I have a set of the medium/lights on my '85 pickup. Great leafs, but I'm fighting with shocks. I don't recommend Doetsch Tech 3000s unless you have some weight. I may take off the overloads in the rear and see if that softens things up.

My plan is to use the truck as a scout- gps, map computer, HAM, CB; running gravel roads while they still let us do that in the natl forests, finding historical things, finding campsites and routes for possible runs with groups. Just a JDM aluminum bullbar, no canopy.

For this setup, the light OME setup has worked great. When I find some soft shocks (thinking of doing rs9000s with the in-cab adjustments), I think it'll be set.
Old 12-14-2007, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by esh
I have a set of the medium/lights on my '85 pickup. Great leafs, but I'm fighting with shocks. I don't recommend Doetsch Tech 3000s unless you have some weight. I may take off the overloads in the rear and see if that softens things up.

For this setup, the light OME setup has worked great. When I find some soft shocks (thinking of doing rs9000s with the in-cab adjustments), I think it'll be set.

What's wrong with OME shocks? I thought the ride turned out pretty well on my 85 4Runner.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:35 AM

How much did the drop drag link end up?

My springs are pretty much dead on my 85 and i'm looking at this same lift...
i also have some other questions:

Did you HAVE to extend the brake lines (i most likely with have to with my rear shackles anyway)?

Does anyone have a complete list of parts NEEDED for this lift?
(i'm working on a budget but will add all the perfered componets over the course of the next year)

This web site has a full kit for $815. i was looking at Springs and bushings only. about $300 delivered.
http://www.rocky-road.com/4runner.html

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2007, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by thewjsand
How much did the drop drag link end up?

I think I paid about $150. You may or may not need to replace your drag link. You should buy the OME U-bolts with the kit. The ones on the driver's side are flattened and are intended to let the stock drag link pass. They may or may not eliminate this problem for you.

My springs are pretty much dead on my 85 and i'm looking at this same lift...
i also have some other questions:

Did you HAVE to extend the brake lines (i most likely with have to with my rear shackles anyway)?

I did extend them. I bought some stainless braided lines. They are a good investment either way.

Does anyone have a complete list of parts NEEDED for this lift?
(i'm working on a budget but will add all the perfered componets over the course of the next year)

Yes. I bought mine here: http://www.4by4connection.com/4runpicallle.html

I went heavy front and medium rear springs with heavy shocks all around. I did not order the extra leafs but did order everything else. Total cost was around $1000. I was very impressed with their shocks btw. Also, I would save up and do this all at once. If nothing else you will save on shipping.

It's pretty self-explanatory what you need to buy but if you have specific questions then ask away. I also have a PDF of their catalogue page if you want me to email it to you.

Good luck!

This web site has a full kit for $815. i was looking at Springs and bushings only. about $300 delivered.
http://www.rocky-road.com/4runner.html

Thanks!
ssssssssssss
Old 10-30-2011, 01:44 PM

I'm interested in the .pdf of their catalog please...