84-85 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd gen pickups and 1st gen 4Runners with solid front axles

85 4runner rebuild - Project:Redneck

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 4runner rebuild - Project: PRD

I would have liked to have pics today, but perhaps tommarow. Started tearing out the interior and rear seats. Searched for rust and as of now it is not as bad as I would have suspected for a vehicle whose whole life has been spent in San Diego. Freaking salty air distroyed my Ford Ranger (AMEN!)

Project Scope as of now
-Full engine inspection and maintence (6 previouse owners )
-3" Downy suspension lift (springs, shackles, shocks)
-32" BFG's (I don't care if they are trendy, they freaking work great)
-Clean under body and paint (probally Por15)
-Replace all paneling with Spectra Marine grade plywood
-Cut rear fenders back 2" (rust) Need some ideas
-Install custom rear bumber (already have, just need to modify)
-But and install Smittybilt winch bumper
-Stereo
-Engine mods....not sure yet, but probally cold air intake, headers, exhaust
depends on how long monets lasts
-more to come but I'm tired.

My plan for this week:
-Pictures
-Replace all my houses, fluids, and belts.
-Finished tearing out all the interior, besides the drivers seat and prepare the bed to receive a liner.
-Start making the new interior panels (Spetra Marine grade ply wood) If I can do this like my dad did it for his 76 Land cruiser, it's gonna look cool and be easy to spray mud off it in the summer.
-Remove me roll bar and take it to a muffler shop to have its width decreased by 2" (make room for my cargo area to be shortened 1' on each side to make room for 10" subs to be mounted in side panels
-Build speaker boxes that are to be hung from the rear roll bar.
hanger will have a locking swivle so I can turn the speakers out the back for
the drive-in or Stickball practice.

We'll see how much of this I can actually accomplish, busy week. As least I don't have the cold weather problem that Newb has. I miss weather, san diego gets boring sometimes.

Pics coming tommarow

Last edited by Popak2; 04-01-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:09 AM

Heres what a posted for 1985 4Runner, im too lazy to type it up again. Deffinently look at wabfabs I think his in one of the best and he has alot of pics to show what he did.

Originally Posted by Newb
Just a suggestion but I'd use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel if you have one available. I've done it both ways and the grinder is a little more controllable i think... 4" cut off wheels are 2$s at most and do alot cleaner job. Either way run some cheap painters tape on the good side of the cut and it will keep your paint from chipping for the most part...

Downfalls:
Sawzall - If it gets caught on something it'll either twist or send ripples through the sheet metal...
Grinder - The sparks sometimes tend to make the paint start to peel...

Some links that may be useful...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386066
http://www.bc4x4.com/tech/2003/toyfenders/
http://lokmeup.iwolfe.com/Toyota/FenderTrim.htm
http://www.wabfab.org/project/ft/ft.htm
Where are all the pics at that were supposed to be posted?!

Question & I'm not an expert on stereo systems but I have messed with quite a few, you said you are going to mount the subs in the side panel won't that lessen the sound quality? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong but that almost doesn't seem like enough air space for the subs...

EDIT: YOU MENTIONED POR-15, FROM WHAT I'VE READ THAT STUFF IS REALLY GOOD BUT THE DOWNFALL IS YOU HAVE TO WORK TWICE AS HARD TO PREP THE FRAME FOR FUTURE MODS (WELDING) WHICH IS JUST A PITA.

Last edited by Newb; 04-04-2006 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:02 AM

yep

Question & I'm not an expert on stereo systems but I have messed with quite a few, you said you are going to mount the subs in the side panel won't that lessen the sound quality? Maybe I'm just reading it wrong but that almost doesn't seem like enough air space for the subs...
I'm working on that. Basically, yes, but I have read some threads that have shown ways of doing it and getting the sound. I'm going to have to play with it. My problem is that this is my only vehicle and I'm In construction, framing, elecetrical, and what not. So, I need cargo space and I can't afford to lose space to a sub box. I'm still playing with the idea. I know I'm for sure mounting my amps on the inside of my new side panels that will be on doors the swing out with them attached. The sub is in question.

If anyone has suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

I might just mount a easily removable box so that when I need the space, I can move my sub out in a minute..... problem is, it'll only take a thief to get it in a minute to.. SOB!

Newb and others, also, I'm currently working on the wiring diagram for the ignition and fuel system. It's a anti theft devise that my dad and I have installed in previous vehicles that have made them very hard steel. (we watched someone try to steel my Dads jeep for 10 minutes before we greeted them with our little friend named Ruger. the police thought the whole thing was pretty funny that they (thief’s) were dumb enough to try for 10 minutes.) Anyways, it's a system of kill switches that is impossible to bypass with out significant time, and unless you know the order of switches to flip, there is over 400 combinations. and even if they get that, they have to find the switch for the fuel system, otherwise the bloody thieves aren't getting very far. I'm NOT going to publicly post this, but I will send it privately to those who inquire and whom I get a good vibe from. If your interested, send me a mssg and I'll keep you updated.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:03 AM

working on pics to. I don't have a digi camera so I'm kind at the will of friends.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:22 AM

PM'd ya

For the sub I'd do what your talking about and maybe just build it out from the panel about 6"s or so and and build the box the whole way to the quater panel. That way the majority of your box is in the side wall and you only lose about 6"s on each side... I'm gonna have to think about that one.

Last edited by Newb; 04-04-2006 at 08:50 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I havent gotten around to the stereo in mine yet, but when I do I plan on installing the amp & deck in a .50 cal ammo can with a quick disconnect. It will double as an armrest. My buddy had one in a CJ7 & it worked great.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:36 AM

Now thats a good idea, do you think you could get some pics of that set-up? I just set my stereo up over the weekend and it was actually surprisingly louder than what I was expecting without an enclosed sub box. My amp is still just mouted on the back of the box for all to see so I think that deffnently needs to change before someone feels that they need it more than I do.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:24 AM

I HATE THEIVES!!!!!
Old 04-04-2006, 09:26 AM

LMFAO

EDIT: CHECK THIS OUT, THE SECOND PAGE HAS A FEW DESIGNS FOR THE SIDEWALL APPROACH... http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453958

Did that help you out any?

Last edited by Newb; 04-05-2006 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:43 AM

hey, da link no worky
Old 04-04-2006, 11:47 AM

Pirate crashed a little bit ago...
Old 04-08-2006, 03:53 PM

So, between rain and getting a narly throat and ear infection I have got jack done. I bought some stereo crap today cause it's driving me mad with out having music right now. But, I did go and do what I told myself what I wasn't gonna to (not until I had new suspension) and play in the mud. It was alot of fun but now tires have become a top priority. Not mutch clearance and a thrash back fender took some night chunks out of my tires They were cheap pos's that the last owner put on but I still went out even though my gut told me bad idea. Owell, I destroyed my friends brand new and freshly washed ranger with a nice coat of mud so I was happy. So, take last weeks goals and making them this weeks goals. I know, lame, but you try working on your truck when your pouring about an once of fluids outta your ear an hour... yum!
Old 04-19-2006, 06:03 AM

Hey man did you ever finish up the wiring you were talking about for the security sys.? Diagrams & pics would be cool, & some updates as well.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:52 AM

YYAAAAAYYYYYY Pictures! Okay, they are crap, but they will work till I can get my friend to uplaod the pics I took on her camera.

Here is a crap picture of the speaker boxes I mounted on the roll bar. How to to come on the speaker mounts.

And my co-pilot

This is gonna be a PITA to take care of

Gone when I cut the wheel wells back
Old 04-20-2006, 12:04 PM

UpDATE

Okay, I have taken out the bench and passanger seat and have started prep work for the bed liner. Right now, this is my only vehicle, so this project is going painfully slow. I also have losely wired in one of the stereo amps and installed 2 6 x 9 speakers boxes on the roll bar. The speaker mounts are not finished yet. Right now the are locked faces forwards but in 3 weeks I'm going to my Dads shop (OH BOY!!!!!!!! his shop makes car factories and fab shops jealouse.) And one of the many things I plan to do are make mounts that allow me to turn the speakers facing out the back for tail gate parties and what not.

Out side of that I'm still doing research as to what I want to do exactly so I don't tear apart twice.

When I go home, I will be cutting the fenders back 2", installing a 3 inch lift kit..(still deciding what kit to go with) wiring up my kill switches, installing an electric fan, hopefully install a tachomemter and new gage panels, making half doors for the summer time, and doing some rust clean up. Allata work for 3 days but I'll get er done!

My dad also has a bitch'n digi cam so I'll have LOTS of good pics for all that work.

oh, also hoping to "modify" my cat , install a new header, and begin work on the new dash board! I can't flipp'n wait.

Cheers!