Pre 84 Trucks 1st gen pickups

OEM Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM Fuel Pump

Where is a good place to get an OEM fuel pump? When i search i find alot of different brands. What brand was the original equipment?
Went into toyota today to order a new one and they said its discontinued and they can't?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got mine at Napa, but I don't remember if it was the same brand as the one I took off. It's far superior in the sense that it doesn't leak gas.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Advance Auto had it in stock for me
Old 09-21-2012, 12:42 PM

I got mine fom napa, but it was a little different, here is the thread.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=90916.0

I ended up having to rerun some fuel lines. I would go to rockauto.com or autozone, my napa pump was like forty bucks, only twenty something on rock auto

I doubt you will find an exact oem pump, cause toypta is not using mechanical pumps anymore, any brand that works should do

Last edited by TheChewMaster; 09-21-2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 125 Likes on 101 Posts
When I checked about two years ago they still had them at Toyota...hope they didn't stop. Theirs were better than the aftermarket, but I think you're fine either way.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 274 Likes on 185 Posts
whatever you do .. dont forget to get the bakelite spacer for mounting !

Old 09-25-2012, 05:24 AM

I'll second NAPA, I've run their Bosch mechanical fuel pump to hell and back, they're fantastic, and worth every penny they cost.

I ran an Autozone pump once, and managed only a few months out of it before it just started blowing fuel out the vent hole onto my manifold. The funny thing was, the AZ 1.5 times the cost of the Bosch unit. Ripoff.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:51 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RobotMoose
I ran an Autozone pump once, and managed only a few months out of it before it just started blowing fuel out the vent hole onto my manifold.
I had the same experience with a mechanical fuel pump from Autozone for my 1987 pickup.

It did last beyond the warranty, though.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by slow-mo
I had the same experience with a mechanical fuel pump from Autozone for my 1987 pickup.

It did last beyond the warranty, though.
That is surprising, a year's a long time for anything from them.
I knew the moment I put that AZ crap on there it would die, but what options do you have for a Sunday evening repair?
I ran it hard, too. My truck was my DD for two years, and my commute isn't anywhere near short, so maybe I just overworked it.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:22 AM

My pump from NAPA sheared a washer off the lever after about 5,000 miles, basically stranding me on the side of the road in nowhere southern Utah. But I think everyone agreed that it was a fluke. The one I have now is from CarQuest, because that's what was in the town I could make it to on what I had rigged...

Seems like the same part as NAPA, and so far it's lasted. I think 3 years now. I've been meaning to go get an OEM one, after that experience, but haven't gotten around to it...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by 83
My pump from NAPA sheared a washer off the lever after about 5,000 miles, basically stranding me on the side of the road in nowhere southern Utah. But I think everyone agreed that it was a fluke. The one I have now is from CarQuest, because that's what was in the town I could make it to on what I had rigged...

Seems like the same part as NAPA, and so far it's lasted. I think 3 years now. I've been meaning to go get an OEM one, after that experience, but haven't gotten around to it...

I hope that lever or any debris didn't get caught up inside your cam!
What was your field repair?
I think this might be worth knowing in emergencies.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:03 AM

I'd have to post a photo to really describe it. But basically, the lever is attached to a little piston-type-thing that moves the diaphram, or pump. The the lever is somehow (it's not fresh enough in my memory anymore) attached to the piston, and really just held there by a washer. The washer somehow sheared off. All the parts were there, so luckily nothing ended up in my crankcase.

I found some unconnected electrical wire hanging out of my rear bumper and cut a little length off, and wrapped that around the lever and piston in place of the washer. It got me the 40 miles down the road I needed to the next town, and I just got a hotel room and fixed it the next morning when the parts store opened (on a Sunday, too!). I had to re-rig the wire probably three times to get me all the way, but it did the job. There probalby would have been a better way, but I guess anyway that works will do the job, when it's just a patch job.

I'll see if I still have a spare pump laying around that I can take a photo of.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by 83
I'd have to post a photo to really describe it. But basically, the lever is attached to a little piston-type-thing that moves the diaphram, or pump. The the lever is somehow (it's not fresh enough in my memory anymore) attached to the piston, and really just held there by a washer. The washer somehow sheared off. All the parts were there, so luckily nothing ended up in my crankcase.

I found some unconnected electrical wire hanging out of my rear bumper and cut a little length off, and wrapped that around the lever and piston in place of the washer. It got me the 40 miles down the road I needed to the next town, and I just got a hotel room and fixed it the next morning when the parts store opened (on a Sunday, too!). I had to re-rig the wire probably three times to get me all the way, but it did the job. There probalby would have been a better way, but I guess anyway that works will do the job, when it's just a patch job.

I'll see if I still have a spare pump laying around that I can take a photo of.
That's a great idea. You were lucky it was something kludge-able to get you by; and to be honest electrical wire or bailing wire would have been perfect for a temporary fix, IIRC there's alot of movement on the piece that connects the lever to the pump itself, and anything more solid would've just bound it up.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM

Yeah. It worked, and I was pretty proud of myself for an hour or so there. I'm pretty decent at replacing things, and ok at diagnosing what a problem is, but fabrication and side-of-the-road fixes aren't exactly my specialty.

Combine that with the fact that I was transporting a truckload of ceramic art from Montana to Pheonix for a big week long conference/show, and I was very happy to keep the truck moving...