Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

What Welder Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Welder Should I Get?

Alright, time to get my first welder to play around with. I've got it down to two cheap mastercraft models. The main problem is I don't really know a whole lot about welding. I know All I want is something cheap that can do small jobs.

either
Arc Stick
Flux-Core

The flux-Core will be on sale for $229 next week that's what got me thinking. So what can you tell me about the advantages and disadvantages of the two?
Old 04-17-2008, 01:02 PM

I got a lincoln flux-cored wire welder, and it's great for smaller projects with thin metal. The stick welders are more for the thicker metals. It just depends on what you are going to use it for.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:06 PM

You can do a lot with a 110 welder but a 220 will give you more flexibility. Yup - wire feed is good. A lot of companies have a starter welder that is 110 and comes with a good wire brush and different types of welding wire.
Old 04-17-2008, 02:37 PM

I wouldn't get anything less than a 220v. Buy your last welder, first.

Once you've got a welder, a bottle, gas, a mask and a spool of wire you will average around $1000 for a decent new welder. A welder is absolutely the last place to be cheap.

I have a Hobart 187. It's great. It can do anything. Thin to thick, aluminum to steel. The welder was $820, the tank was $75/yr lease (too expensive for me to purchase my own right now, 300cu-ft) and $54 per fill. The mask was $30, simple flip down. Auto-Darkening is nice, but they can and do mess up from time to time. I don't want to take the risk. Wire, an 8" spool which weighs about 14lbs was $16, it will last you a long time. You can get smaller 4" spools as well.

It can run on gas (75% Argon, 25% CO2) or it can use flux-core. I hate flux-core, too much spatter. It's good for dirty metals though, with rust. Welding rusty metal with gas is damn near impossible. Flux-core behaves better outside too, wind and such. It's hard to weld using gas when there's a breeze. I had the fan in the shop blowing at me because I was sweating bullets and just playing around with my welder (I'm still learning too, btw) and I couldn't get a good bead going.

I don't recommend using a 110 welder for frame work. It can be done, but you really need to know what you're doing to make it work.

Stick is a much harder technique to pick up, and also to be good at. I'm not a fan of stick welding for anything small, or anything automotive. But if you need to join 1" plate or build a tank, or weld pipe.

I know where you're coming from, so I'm not saying run out and spend thousands... but it's just better to get a good 220 welder to begin with.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
You might consider taking a welding class at your local adult ed. place if one is offered. You'll get a taste for the various welding techniques and machines and find out what you like best and what features are best for the type of welding you plan to do. I did the same and it was worth the time and money spent.