Tool Time Discussions here pertain to the use of tools you use while fabbing and wrenching in the garage

multi-process welders (tweco/thermalarc)

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
multi-process welders (tweco/thermalarc)

Been looking at getting my own welder here for a while. Locally there are not a whole lot of guys that know what they are doing and then if they do none of them work for beer :p. Looked at the usuals and stumbled upon multi-process rigs. Most of them made my jaw drop on cost(especially for a home rig) but tweco has a couple on the lower end of power that would fit the bill and allow me to learn as I go. There is the 141i and the 181i. Here is the link for both machines. One is 140/90 for mig/stick and the other is 180/175. I figure its a decent deal but I wanted the opinions of some yota members as I will be doing fab work. I dont think I will use anything over 3/16 but I dont know that either.

181i
http://victortechnologies.com/Therma...3)_Mar2012.pdf

141i
http://www.weldersupply.com/P/849/Tw...catoriFREESHIP

Also considering Hobart, miller and Lincoln as deals come up on Craigslist. I am more interested in a 110v, achine as the only other plug I have is the dryer....and I dont think thats a very good idea as it is a different amperage than 220v I believe. Recommendations are appreciated. I have only used millermatics previously and I have no schooling. So I'm a n00b. Flame me lol.

beamed from my dumbphone
Old 05-04-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Your money is better spent on a Hobart..Miller..or Lincoln. The attraction of the "multiprocess" at that price is tempting...but all you are buying is chinese garbage. When there is an issue...parts and or service will be a long way off.

I studies...read...asked questions. In the end, the general consensus was do invest in a quality welder and build from there.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:53 PM

Thats what I was thinking. Just wanted to ask before I pass up a good deal though. Thanks

beamed from my dumbphone
Old 05-04-2014, 03:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thermalarc is junk

i welded with two last week and they will change amperage or they will not even strike an arc at times and have to be cycled off and on.

the best part (sarcasm) of my experience is that the themalarc (trash) machine i'm using is upstairs so everytime it changes settings or just plain will not work, i have a flight of stairs to deal with up to twenty times a day.

when one of the real welding machines is available (millers) it's like a breath of fresh air.
i hope i never have to weld with a thermalarc nightmare welder again,. not looking forward to next week.

save your money and buy a welding machine that actually works.
Old 05-05-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Have they started to build them in China??

We are a warranty vendor can get support and parts not like the other welders.

Nothing wrong with Multi Process welders I love my Miller XMT-304 welders and Miller Trail Blazer 302D

If your looking for a 120VAC welder look at the older Lincolns SP 125/135 pretty great little welders.

** Really see if you can get some schooling or someone that can teach you.

Yes I am one of those Guys who does not work for beer
Old 05-05-2014, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Have they started to build them in China??

We are a warranty vendor can get support and parts not like the other welders.

Nothing wrong with Multi Process welders I love my Miller XMT-304 welders and Miller Trail Blazer 302D

If your looking for a 120VAC welder look at the older Lincolns SP 125/135 pretty great little welders.

** Really see if you can get some schooling or someone that can teach you.

Yes I am one of those Guys who does not work for beer
Trust me if I could afford to drop 3k on a welder I would consider it but I would have to sell my truck to do that and well.....then I wouldn't be achieving my endstate. Currently watching/looking at a miller 211 as a starter rig and waiting for a deal to come across.

I was taught by an old school guy who had agreed to weld some stuff up for me but instead he had me weld it up on his machine. Millermatic 350? It was just like drawing a straight edge with metal. Had to practice a little with wire speed but the welds looked ok. It was the tie downs that gave me issues as they were smaller. Those were the Fugly welds.

beamed from my dumbphone
Old 05-05-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Believe it or not....there are some great welding instruction videos on youtube. Check them out sometime. One thing I can never get enough of is learning new tricks or tips that make something better/stronger/quicker etc...

I got a pretty good deal on my hobart 140. Like 400? Its got the juice to do 1/4. What more could you want on our trucks? Made by miller too I think...

I think they are great little welders and a great value as well. Now my eastwood is a China made welder. It will be used for aluminum and stainless only....and any welder I own would be light duty at best.

Tons of pdf books out there too on Welding as well as pro quality dvd files floating around...I think piratebay cough cough would be a good place to search.

You can tell I have lots of time to read lately. Next time Terrys87 is up...IM giving him a few dvd's chock full of metalworking and welding books and stuff.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:27 AM

Red face

Pray tell why do you have time to read more then normal??
Old 05-06-2014, 06:55 PM

I like my 211 , nice welder for the money.I bought it from b k welding supplies in MD. good price and I believe free shipping .great service from them.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:00 PM

Red face

Miller always pays the freight on welders but that could change any time.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:24 AM

I'm convinced on the miller idea. Now its just a matter of finding the right deal. From everything I have read and experienced miller is my top choice but there are some others I will take if the deal is sweet enough. I like the Lincoln 180hd as well. Seems like it would more than do what I need. The one I don't see too often is the hobart welders around here. There is a snap on 205ya for sale near me but he wants a solid 1000 for his setup. Didn't read anything bad about them but there wasn't a whole lot to read either.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:02 AM

Red face

It is funny like that around here the Thermal arc welders are rare.

To bad your across the country any deals I came across would be negated by the shipping costs .

Buying a used welder make sure it works like it should if a seller is unable to let you weld think long and hard.

I never buy a used equipment without out running it
Old 05-10-2014, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
It is funny like that around here the Thermal arc welders are rare.

To bad your across the country any deals I came across would be negated by the shipping costs .

Buying a used welder make sure it works like it should if a seller is unable to let you weld think long and hard.

I never buy a used equipment without out running it
Oh definitely. I would never pick up something as expensive as a welder without testing it. I might take a buddy along who knows more than I do. He is keeping his eye out for deals as well. Hopefully something will come up.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:59 AM

My best suggestion is buy a miller 211. I've worked as a fabricator for about 7 years now in structural steel and I used one for work now for some time and I've abused the crap out of. And it keeps on going. So I bought my own and well it's a wire welder only but you can weld with 110v or 220v. And you can weld many thicknesses with it great machine tho. Just figured I'd through in my 2 cents on that
Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 PM

Yep that's what I am saving for. I decided against the used welder as they are 75% of the original retail price and no warranty....or repair history. The miller 211 might take me a bit to save for but I believe it will be worth it.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:55 PM

Just to provide closure I went with a Hobart 140 and it suits my needs well. My skills still suck but practice is what will make the difference there.