Trip-Trail Reports & Photos Share trail reports and your digitized photos here

Sedona Arizona Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sedona Arizona Trip

After a day of moving all my stuff from my apartment to parents house on Friday. We decided to head to Sedona on Saturday (2/28/09) for the day. This was a good change of scenry for my parents and my older brother since they had not visited that area before. I was the unoffical tour guide for the day.

The first trail on the list was Broken Arrow. The pink Jeep tours that normally dominate the trail during the day was minimal compare to other times but there were a number of hikers and mountain bikers. Nothing to eventful to report from the trail run. Besides watch a Jeep Wrangler pull a full-size Chevy pickup off the trail and my mom walking down the staircase (didn't want to ride along). Any how here are those photos.

Don't know if you can see it since these photo was taken from Submarine rock but these is the area that the Chevy broken down, which we passed later.

The dork behind the wheel.

The next stop on the trip was an area I hadn’t been before and only knew about from a mountain biking book I picked up last year: The Red Canyon Palatki Ruin and Loy Butte Honanki Ruin. The drive out to these two sites was great and was interesting watching a guy drive a newer BMW coupe out there on the dirt roads.

I’ve always enjoyed visiting sites like these whether they are more known or require back country travel to some degree with very few people ever visiting them. There is some about them that draws me to them I guess.

Palatki Ruin:
Site 1

Petrogryphs from the first site

A little ruin

Site 2

View of the valley below

Honanki Ruin:

Overall, it was great day, joked with some Jeepers on BA and a pink Jeep tour guide at Honanki Ruin.

The rest of the photo's can be seen here:
http://s162.photobucket.com/albums/t...ona%202-28-09/

Last edited by wormhole; 03-01-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Now that is what I am talking about!
I enjoy seeing rigs in trail reports, but I also like to see the scenery too of where everyone goes.

If I hit Mt. Rainier again for my summer vacation, there are some old ore mines up there from the turn of the century.
I will try to snag some pictures if I take the hike to get to them.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Man you are making me homesick! I grew up in SW CO and around a lot of that same scenery!!! Great pics!!!
Old 03-01-2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Corey
Now that is what I am talking about!
I enjoy seeing rigs in trail reports, but I also like to see the scenery too of where everyone goes.

If I hit Mt. Rainier again for my summer vacation, there are some old ore mines up there from the turn of the century.
I will try to snag some pictures if I take the hike to get to them.
That's what I try to do when ever I go on trail runs is to show the area that it took place.

While awesome to see vehicles do crazy and amazing things (wheel stands, flex like crazy, roll over and start back etc.)there's more to than that. We forget the areas that we go and just focus on one thing but its nice to see where we went because we may not get to see those areas again. That's just my 2 cents.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:38 AM

Great pics. Glad to see the new Runner out on the trail, I knew it wouldn't be long.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love how many pics you posted! It looks like a gorgeous area. I love those old ruin type stuff too. And Corey you better make that hike!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vermejo
Great pics. Glad to see the new Runner out on the trail, I knew it wouldn't be long.

. Nope wasn't long.

I've basically have had her out on dirt/gravel roads for the most part nothing to major, until this trip.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Nice to see. Makes me jealous. Don't see scenery like that here in the flatland (N. IL). I was in AZ once as a kid and took a jeep tour. Been hooked on wheelin' ever since. Would love to make it back to AZ in my new Taco! Thanks for sharin'!!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:45 PM

Looks familiar!

I love sedona, too bad you weren't up there a month or so ago when there was snow. Sedona with snow is gorgeous. Not that it's not without snow.