Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

STOLEN Near Sacramento 1988 Toyota Pickup

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 12:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
STOLEN Near Sacramento 1988 Toyota Pickup

UPDATE: RECOVERED 6-6-23 in Woodland California - Story in comments

Hey everyone I'm really devastated right now to be posting this. Someone stole my truck from my apartment complex last night in Davis California. I sincerely need people to spread the word, I'm really hoping It can be returned to me somehow. I have meticulously documented every bit of work I've done to it in the past 6 years. I installed AC in the truck last summer, it never even had AC. It was a big project. I also was building a living situation in the damn thing. I rebuilt the head, replaced the head gasket. All Toyota parts used on everything. I just redid the rear brakes, new drums, shoes, new axle seals. Once again all Toyota parts. I replaced the heater core. The list goes on! I'm ˟˟˟˟ing heart broken. The camper shell was on it too, so it will look like a 4 runner/SUV to most people.

Please post this around, my contact info is 530 - 802 - 1943

Last edited by '88 Toyota Daily; 06-06-2023 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2023, 06:32 PM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Hate a f#$*!ng thief. Hope you get it back, wish I could help
Old 06-02-2023, 09:10 PM

Bump! Still looking for it
Old 06-02-2023, 09:25 PM

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts
I don't think the older Toyota lock cylinders are very well made. Last week, I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing when I hopped in my '82 pickup. I unlocked the door, started the truck and took off. As I was driving, I noticed that I did this with the key to my 87 4runner. One less key to carry around. It sucks about your loss. My ' to do' list now includes a hidden kill switch on both trucks. I hope you get it back soon with no damage. I'd be devistated if the 4runner I've been driving the past 20 years was to disappear.
Old 06-03-2023, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Really sorry to hear that, its one of my worst fears especially living so close to the border. I can only imagine the daydreams you must be having of catching somebody driving it around.
I've been procrastinating installing a kill switch, probably gonna start that now.
I hope you find it.
Old 06-06-2023, 09:50 PM

UPDATE: RECOVERED 6-6-23 in Woodland California

Well I am so ˟˟˟˟ing glad to say that it was recovered and not in too bad of shape! I never thought I'd see her again, and even if I did I thought she would be totaled.

Storytime:

So I got a call from Woodland PD 6-5-23, it went to voicemail as my phone was dead. I charged it but didn't check my phone until the next day. I woke up and had 3 missed calls, two being Woodland PD and one being Davis PD as they were notified. No mention of the condition, only that it was being stored at a tow yard in Woodland. I called the tow company my heart was pounding, thinking it might be ruined or possibly okay. Talked to the lady she said come get it, 330$ I said ok. I called her back, and asked if it was drivable but also not wanting to hear the answer. She put me on hold and went to look, she came back and I held the phone away from my ear a bit. I wanted to know but didn't want to know the answer, a bizarre sensation. She said "the front end is pretty done in and not drivable" and I said ok ˟˟˟˟! to myself.

I still wanted to see it so my roommate drove me over there and as we were heading down the road, the tow company texted me saying sorry that was a different vehicle she was talking about. She didn't say if my truck was ok but she basically said she was sorry and that she looked at the wrong car. So I had no idea what to expect going to the tow yard. We arrived and I peered through their covered fence, heart pounding, I set eyes on her and she looked to be in good shape in terms of the body. The camper shell was intact, no front end damage like the lady had mistakingly said. I asked to see the truck, they brought me to it and I was scared to look at the interior, hearing all of the horror stories online about the condition most people find their vehicles in. I peered inside and to my surprise it was in great shape still, no holes no stains. Tried to fire her up and the battery was dead, or so I thought. Turns out they stole the battery. They also slid my camper shell back instead of bashing a window or busting the lock. I didn't have the shell bolted down for the record as I was working on the truck. They stole a bunch of my tools and other ˟˟˟˟ I had back there but whatever I had my truck in one piece.

We went to part store and got a new battery as well as a gallon of gas in a can the tow yard had kindly lent me. I fired the truck up and instantly me and the tow guy looked at each other and laughed a bit. Queue the obnoxiously loooouuud exhaust noise. Cut my cat clean off right after the O2 sensor. Stole my original spare tire kit, lost a speaker cover. The rest is all there. They also bent the ˟˟˟˟ out of the solid steel that the rear bumper mounts to, not a clue what they were towing with this thing. They bent some thiiiick steel, the bumper is about 6" to the right as opposed to being centered. The bumper itself is okay but I'll need a tractor or truck to pull the metal it mounts to straight again. Its like they were pulling a 20 ton boulder sideways with a running start, no clue what the hell was going on in that truck. They kindly left me half a pack of cigs.

All in all a huge lesson learned. She will make a recovery and I'll get her fixed up good as new. What a rollercoaster..... Excuse the CAPS but LEARN FROM ME, PUT SOME ANTI THEFT IN YOUR BELOVED TRUCKS PEOPLE!
The following 4 users liked this post by '88 Toyota Daily:
hurricanes (06-07-2023), Jimkola (06-10-2023), mi_guy616 (06-07-2023), SomedayJ (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 02:49 AM

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts
Lucky, most of these are never to be found again, congrats on getting your ride back!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
'88 Toyota Daily (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated
Lucky, most of these are never to be found again, congrats on getting your ride back!!!!!

I concur, so please learn from me people. Cheers
Old 06-07-2023, 09:38 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
YES! Glad you got her back!
'88 Toyota Daily (06-07-2023)
Old 06-07-2023, 11:00 AM

Any ideas on replacing the California catalytic converter? I've yet to call the dealership kind of scared $$ wise.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Maybe check with a local muffler shop for a CA compliant cat. Dealer is going to be crazy expensive, I'm sure.
So glad you got your rig back!
Those locks are pretty funky on the early ones. I have an 86, and did install a kill switch. Hmm... maybe some good hood locks? My son-in law has a couple of vintage Datsuns, and he has removable steering wheels on them, with a locking hub. It's too bad we have to worry about this stuff.
Old 06-08-2023, 09:58 AM

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts
I never had trouble passing smog with aftermarket Cats in California...

Last edited by OldBlueMidnight; 06-08-2023 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Apparently, cats installed in California now have to be CARB compliant for all year model cars. The aftermarket cats have to have and EO(executive order) number stamped on them.
Here's a link to the ARB website:
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/aftermarket-catalytic-converters
Also, the Walker website has a good technical page outlining the differences and requirements:
https://www.walkerexhaust.com/suppor...rb-vs-epa.html
I ran the search for a Cat on my 86 4runner(22-RTE), and it was about $400.00.$366.00 at Rockauto.
Also, here's a link to the ARB pre-OBD-II verification list:
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/pre-obd-ii-ca...ification-list
Man, it used to be SO much easier!;-)
Old 06-09-2023, 08:25 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by '88 Toyota Daily
So I got a call from Woodland PD 6-5-23, it went to voicemail as my phone was dead. I charged it but didn't check my phone until the next day. I woke up and had 3 missed calls, two being Woodland PD and one being Davis PD as they were notified. No mention of the condition, only that it was being stored at a tow yard in Woodland. I called the tow company my heart was pounding, thinking it might be ruined or possibly okay. Talked to the lady she said come get it, 330$ I said ok.
We went to part store and got a new battery as well as a gallon of gas in a can the tow yard had kindly lent me.
That ended well!

My son-in-laws 93 was stolen in '21 and the Portland PD called him to let him know the approximate location where it was parked. He was at work so he asked me and my 19 yo daughter to go get it. Turns out it was parked right in the middle of a homeless jungle - a few other cars, surrounded by tents, etc. I didn't bring a firearm and didn't want my girl involved, so I bailed. Those bums were a lot meaner then me and a lot less to lose. So the next day the PD calls him again and now the truck was found broke down in the middle of the road while hauling a stolen, broke down delivery truck - a total loss. He got $8000 from the insurance company for it!

My 93 was stolen in '18, found a day later a mile away, cleaned out but in perfect condition. I was lucky to get it before a tow company could inflict further pain. Jiggler keys, they sell them on amazon!

You can't take common measures to prevent an older vehicle from being stolen - we can only make it a little harder.
'88 Toyota Daily (07-10-2023)