Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Odd issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Odd issues

Hey Folks,
Well, here is where my issue currently sits. Hopefully someone can help me out.
91 Toyota Pickup, SR5, 4x4, 5 speed, V6, LOTS of km's (380,000). All campaigns have been completed.

After my fuel pump dying and MAS dying I have my truck back up and running now, but its no where near 100%. It sounds like it is getting starved for gas, but unsure if what i've done could cause this.

When fixing the gas tank 2 of the 7 bolts stripped out internally in the ring, so I mounted it using 5 bolts and a ton of sealant around the edges. The issue sounds like its starving for gas, but im not 100% sure. Here is what i've done so far:

Replaced fuel pump (unsure of quality but pumps a ˟˟˟˟ ton of gas fast - taken out of a replica truck)
Replaced MAS (used from a 92, was informed this is universal for 87-92?)
Replaced Spark Plugs (plug 6 was roasted, but aside from that nothing out of the ordinary).

Why i think its a fuel pressure/delivery issue:
-Rev's OK in Neutral, but still sounds gutless
-Acceleration from stopped in any given gear is dismal. Once moving its not bad, but nothing to brag about by a long shot. About 60% of what original power was
-Apparently I have a trail of gas fumes following me around, it stinks like gas everywhere i go, and not burnt gas

I've checked all my parking stalls and engine bay but have drawn a blank as far as fuel leaks, as their is no major puddles of gas on the ground. The Banjo bolt on my fuel rail was loosen off, but i've tightened it accordingly.

Do you guys think that the minor and potential air leak on the gas tank could cause these symptoms? I really want to get this truck back running properly

Any info is more then helpful. Im at the point of putting a fuel cell in my bed to see if it fixes it, but i want to know your thoughts.
Cheers!
Old 11-29-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the truck getting dismal mileage along with all of this? If so, I would check the fuel pressure damper on the back of the passenger side fuel rail. If it is bad, it will leak fuel directly onto the top of the exhaust cross-over, and absolutely kill mileage and power. You'll definitely smell it. Also, I would double check your work on the fuel pump. That'd be another source of a leak/fuel smell.

Also, the mass air flow sensor is not universal. You need to find one that has a matching part # as yours. Its the ten digit number on the top. should read xxxxx-xxxxx. That's where I would start.