86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

88 22re Throttle cutting in and out.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
88 22re Throttle cutting in and out.

Forgive me if this issue is addressed elsewhere, but go with me for now. Today driving down the highway in the rain, my throttle seemed to just stop working. I'll try my best to explain everything. I was in 4th coming into a town, put the truck in neutral coming to a light. When the light turned green, I put the truck in 1st, and the gas was intermittent. Would rev, then nothing, rev, then nothing.....and so on. I pulled over. Popped the hood and manually played with the throttle. Again with the throttle engaged, rev, nothing, rev, nothing. I checked a few wires, tried again, she ran. About an hour later on the highway, same issue happened, this time while at speed. Pulled over checked a few wires again, throttle did the same rev, nothing, rev, nothing nonsense(I should mention it idles perfectly.) It once again corrected itself for an hour or so. I am now at a hotel somewhere in TX because this has happened about 5 times today. Any clue as to what the issue could be? I was thinking maybe fuel pump going out???

Sorry if this is all jumbled and doesn't read well. I'm super frustrated as I am only 5hrs into a 1700 mile trip back home, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
It is hard to tell without actually being able to see the truck for myself.

Can you post a video of what the engine is doing?

It is possible that the fuel pump is on its way out, but without measuring fuel pressure, I could not be sure.

How did you check the wires? Which wires did you play with?

Did the "Check Engine" light come on at all during this trip?

I am not sure if a bad Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) could cause these exact symptoms, but is another likely potential cause.

Do you happen to have any tools with you? Maybe a multimeter?

Being far from home limits what you are able to do. If you are not really mechanically (and maybe electrically) inclined, taking your truck to a shop may be your best option.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by old87yota
It is hard to tell without actually being able to see the truck for myself.

Can you post a video of what the engine is doing?

It is possible that the fuel pump is on its way out, but without measuring fuel pressure, I could not be sure.

How did you check the wires? Which wires did you play with?

Did the "Check Engine" light come on at all during this trip?

I am not sure if a bad Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) could cause these exact symptoms, but is another likely potential cause.

Do you happen to have any tools with you? Maybe a multimeter?

Being far from home limits what you are able to do. If you are not really mechanically (and maybe electrically) inclined, taking your truck to a shop may be your best option.

I will try to get a video of the truck tomorrow.

What I mainly meant by checking wires, was looking for breaks, or any obvious disconnects in the engine bay. I was thinking that maybe because it has been raining so much that water may have caused a short. I checked all obvious connections, under the hood by making sure they were properly connected. I do not have a multimeter with me, so just having to rely on a visual/physical check.
I made sure everything from the coil/plug wires were all plugged in properly, checked the connections going to the fuel pump.

The check engine light is unfortunately in a constant on position due to the previous owner doing a smog delete and simply cutting the O2 sensor wire.

The tools I have with me are very minimal. I have enough sockets and what not to deal with most things on a Yota. Though nothing for checking voltage/continuity.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:28 PM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts

If it's doing it only when there is moisture... it's the distributor... it takes a TINY bit of moisture to cause some serious issues like your describing...
While it's dry and running good, take the cap off and put a little silicone inside the lip of and seal the cap... dielectric grease would work also and you can use a touch of it on the inside of spark plug boots... both ends... to help water proof...
my 22rte did the same thing but only when it was raining or if washed it at the car wash...
my cap was missing the o ring that seals it, so I did what I'm suggesting till i got the proper o ring and installed it... no more " random" dying when it's raining... or should i say no throttle issues... it wouldn't die, would idle, just no throttle till it cleared its throat and would run fine till it got moisture again... not even wet .... just moisture.
spraying wd-40 in the cap might be a temporary fix and orielys sells a spray on water proof product for ignitions... i don't remember what it's called...
good luck i hope you make it home ok.

Last edited by 87-4runner; 12-07-2018 at 11:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jubba_bones (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 11:56 PM

Awesome, I will look into the distributor issue in the morning. I would love an easy fix, as I've already had to replace the starter in a Wal Mart parking lot on my trip to Texas.
Old 12-08-2018, 12:01 AM

Looks like your heading for some serious moisture issues in Texas... I'd use the silicone.... hope it works for you....
Old 12-08-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by 87-4runner
Looks like your heading for some serious moisture issues in Texas... I'd use the silicone.... hope it works for you....
Yeah, thats one of the problems right now. It hasn't stopped raining since this issue has started. I'm hoping the hotel will let me park and work under their awning tomorrow, otherwise I'm going to throw a tarp over the hood and go from there.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:59 AM

Received 833 Likes on 558 Posts
Find the nearest Harbor Freight and grab one of their cheap multi meters for testing the throttle position sensor. Hardware and parts stores have them also, not as cheap probably.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:18 AM

Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Throttle Position Sensor
  1. Car won't accelerate, lacks power when accelerating, or accelerates itself. ...
  2. Engine won't idle smoothly, idles too slowly, or stalls. ...
  3. Car accelerates, but won't exceed a relatively low speed, or shift up. ...
  4. Check Engine Light comes on, accompanied by any of the above behaviors

the TPS doesn't usual "clear up" then start acting stupid again... it works, it's out of adjustment, or doesn't work... but not intermittent or randomly....
Old 12-08-2018, 05:21 AM

my cap was missing the o ring that seals it
Just pulled the distro cap, no o ring......going to throw some dielectric grease on the plug ends and on the lip of the cap and will throw an o ring in for good measure. If this works, I will let y'all know the next time I have internet. (hopefully thats when I'm back in Nevada.)
Old 12-08-2018, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by jubba_bones
Just pulled the distro cap, no o ring......going to throw some dielectric grease on the plug ends and on the lip of the cap and will throw an o ring in for good measure. If this works, I will let y'all know the next time I have internet. (hopefully thats when I'm back in Nevada.)
Old 12-08-2018, 02:04 PM

I owe you a beer, or a few. Cleaned, dried, and greased the distro cap and plugs, and have been on the road since this morning through a ton of rain, and snow with no issues. You saved quite the ˟˟˟˟ing headache on my end. Thank you.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by jubba_bones
I owe you a beer, or a few. Cleaned, dried, and greased the distro cap and plugs, and have been on the road since this morning through a ton of rain, and snow with no issues. You saved quite the ˟˟˟˟ing headache on my end. Thank you.
You don't owe me... glad it fixed for problem... have a blessed weekend...
Old 12-08-2018, 11:02 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts

Cool!
What did you find out though? What was distributor like before you cleaned it?

Next time it rains, also check ECU and surroundings behind the right-side kick panel. Where wires enter the cabin from wheel well sometimes leak.
Old 12-09-2018, 03:56 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

Next time it rains, also check ECU and surroundings behind the right-side kick panel. Where wires enter the cabin from wheel well sometimes leak.
another source for moisture at the ecu is the windshield area, either leaking gasket, or rotted sections under the clips; the body seam at the roof-A pillar interface is another area, as the seam sealer is old, dry, cracked, or missing.
Old 12-09-2018, 08:29 AM

Cool!

FYI. .
it took me forever to figure the moisture thing out... my cap was perfect, It took many scenarios before I was able to definitively blame moisture for the problem.... When I checked the cap ( several times) there was never ANY sign of it being wet....
but, i was convinced that was the problem so I started water proofing and it totally fixed all my miss, acceleration issues... i guess what I'm saying is it's not easy, nearly impossible to detect other than going by the symptoms and the connection with moisture, whether in the form of rain, fog, snow, sleet, drizzle, car wash... but, i know it takes very minute amounts of moisture to create some serious issues...
Old 12-10-2018, 02:59 AM

Cool!

I found out that the cap and plugs all looked completely dry before I cleaned them. It was still raining the morning after, and I had to drive to Auto Zone, my truck started fine, but within 5 minutes the issue started again. At Auto Zone I pulled the cap, (which still looked dry)sprayed some electronic cleaner, and dielectric greased the inner lip of the cap, and the outer lip of the distro. For good measure I did all the plug boots as well. The truck drove completely fine after that, and made it the 1700ish miles home, which included driving 4 or 5 more hours through heavy rain and some light snow.

As far as my ECU, I have no kick panels installed, so I know that there was no obvious build up of water in or around that area.