86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mounting Shovel & Hi-Lift Jack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mounting Shovel & Hi-Lift Jack?

They sell mounts for shovels and hi-lift jacks, but said mounts don't cater to older Toyota's like mine. See the image. I'm thinking of mounting them like the image shows, on each side inside the bed. The real question is this; how will I secure them from being stolen?

Old 07-04-2018, 02:09 PM

Mounting the hi-lift jack shouldn't be a problem. I discovered that Hi-Lift sells a bed rail mount called the Loc-Rac. Still not sure how to mount the shovel though.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If they're visible they can be stolen.
I carry a folding shovel behind my seat it works OK if I need it. Are you planning on digging a lot.
Can the jack fit under the hood or behind the front bumper?
Otherwise get a bed box for them and other stuff.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
If they're visible they can be stolen.
I carry a folding shovel behind my seat it works OK if I need it. Are you planning on digging a lot.
Can the jack fit under the hood or behind the front bumper?
Otherwise get a bed box for them and other stuff.
True that if they're visible they can be stolen. I agree. But I also think half the equation is being smart about where I park the truck. Both the jack and the shovel will be secured with a lock too.

No, I don't plan to dig a lot. I'm just keeping these items for emergency situations like being stuck... or in case I find a big "X" the need to dig for buried treasure. :-)

Storing the jack behind the front bumper would be pretty ingenious, but the jack is too large for that in this case. Can't afford a bed box. And really don't want one.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:20 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I don't know where you live, but honestly, are stolen Hi-Lifts really a problem? The thing is worth about $30 on the used market and weighs a ton, making a fast getaway problematic. What thief in their right mind would go after that when there's a $500 stereo in the dash or a bunch of tools in the back? I keep mine bolted tight to the roof rack of my 4runner. Unless the thief carries a crescent wrench, it's not coming off. It's spent all summer up there for the last 7 years with no issues.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by RJR
What thief in their right mind would go after [a Hi-Lift jack]?
I don't know too many thieves that are in their right mind. Haha! But yes, you make a good point; why would someone go through the hassle to detach and steal that big, long, heavy jack? I could see it being stolen if it was just laying in the back of the truck though. Either way, I'll be securing mine with a lock since it'll be at eye-level.

Now, what about mounting a shovel?
Old 07-05-2018, 09:22 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I solved the shovel problem by using a old, somewhat rusty but still good wooden-handled shovel. Looks like junk but very serviceable. Not at all tempting for theft. I strap it to the hi-lift with velcro straps, the kind that loop back on themselves and then fasten. Very secure but easy to deploy.

The other thing to note about hi-lifts. If you keep it outside on your roof or in your truck bed, you need to lubricate it periodically or the pins will get stiff and it won't work properly when you need it. I give mine a shot of spray-on lithium grease every so often to keep it protected, and carry a can of lube in the 4runner in case the mechanism needs attention when I do have to use the jack.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Question:
Originally Posted by Brock Lee
... The real question is this; how will I secure them from being stolen?
Camlock strap OR tie with good rope OR improvise a bolt-down mount, AND U-Bolt bike lock.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

My Sheep Herders Jack was just tossed in the back of the truck Way less people back in 1974

I am not sure where it is now I have to look to make sure it was not stolen
Old 07-05-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brock Lee
They sell mounts for shovels and hi-lift jacks, but said mounts don't cater to older Toyota's like mine. See the image. I'm thinking of mounting them like the image shows, on each side inside the bed. The real question is this; how will I secure them from being stolen?

The shovel will not mount there with the light bar. You won't able to put it there.
I'm sure you might have a use for the shovel, but I haven't had the need for one in over 10 years.

I have had a hi-lift mounted in three different places over the years.

Built a box to hold fluids, tools and parts, and made a hi-lift mount out of wood and 1/2" bolts.
Bolted a piece of 1" square tubing across the bed, and mounted a Rac-Loc to it.
Removed light bar, and added Rac-Loc to side of bed. Needs a spacer if you want to use the handle isolator.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
My Sheep Herders Jack was just tossed in the back of the truck Way less people back in 1974 I am not sure where it is now I have to look to make sure it was not stolen
Yeah, you should check on that. Haha! Maybe even lube it a bit.

Originally Posted by Cyberman
The shovel will not mount there with the light bar.
It's a slim shovel. I think it'll work.

I'm sure you might have a use for the shovel, but I haven't had the need for one in over 10 years.
I'm hoping to NOT need it. Just like I'm hoping to NOT need the 5 gallons of gasoline from the jerry can mounted toward the rear of the bed also.

Thanks for the pics of your setup! That's helpful for me to see other people's setups especially when their truck is similar to mine.

Last edited by Brock Lee; 07-05-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:18 PM

The shovel will...
LOVE the sticker on your truck that says "Jeeps are cute. Barbie drives one." That's killing me. I gotta remember that. :-)

Last edited by Brock Lee; 07-10-2018 at 02:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:27 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I have a bad habit of trying to help younger people with interest in Toyota 4x4 vehicles most often they just run off with a few thousand in parts never to be seen again.

Just for the record The Sheep Herders Jack is alive and well it was under my Bed it must have got knocked over or the Bed Monster needed to use it.

Last edited by wyoming9; 07-07-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:59 AM

The shovel will not mount there with the light bar.
Turns out that you knew what you were talking about. The Hi-Lift won't mount on the side with that light bar either as you surely already knew. I gotta keep the bar though. Looks like I'll be mounting the jack and the shovel at the front of the bed. That's a minor feat of engineering in itself. Had to buy a wrench extender (it's in the mail) just to help me get a grip and tighten the nuts on the bolts. I'll be glad when it's done because it's proving to be quite a pain.
Old 08-06-2018, 02:56 PM

Here's what I ended up doing.