Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

[Help] Engine Turns over but wont start without Gas Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[Help] Engine Turns over but wont start without Gas Pedal

Hey so i have this problem where my engine will turn over and not start unless I give it some gas. For whatever reason if I don't do the current starting procedure right the first time it's a lot harder to get it going afterwards. Once it's started up it runs great. After some reading I'm suspicious of the throttle body sticking at start or the fuel filter so I plan to replace/clean both of those later today/tmw morning. Any suggestions?
Old 06-16-2018, 12:29 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
When you say runs great, it's been driven about at various speeds and doesn't stall, or just idles fine? No CEL?

Has it been sitting out for some time?

Fuel filter not suspected in these cases but better to replace if it's time.

Are you able to hear the fuel pump turn on when you first turn the key to ON position? Like a soft buzz noise for a second right after the key is turned, but before you turn to crank/RUN? That should mean you're getting fuel pressure, though there's an actual tool for measuring that.

I think you're on the right trail with a sticking throttle...worth taking a closer look at.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just pray tell are you working on??

Sounds like your injectors might be leaking giving it more air allows it to start

All your throttle does is give the engine air.

Did the CEL light come on and did you pull the codes??
Old 06-16-2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Just pray tell are you working on??

Sounds like your injectors might be leaking giving it more air allows it to start

All your throttle does is give the engine air.

Did the CEL light come on and did you pull the codes??
CEL light is on for running lean but that just recently came on and this has been a problem for a couple weeks. Not sure what you are asking by "Just pray tell are you working on". its a 98 3.4 5 speed at 158k
Old 06-16-2018, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 75w90mantraN
When you say runs great, it's been driven about at various speeds and doesn't stall, or just idles fine? No CEL?

Has it been sitting out for some time?

Fuel filter not suspected in these cases but better to replace if it's time.

Are you able to hear the fuel pump turn on when you first turn the key to ON position? Like a soft buzz noise for a second right after the key is turned, but before you turn to crank/RUN? That should mean you're getting fuel pressure, though there's an actual tool for measuring that.

I think you're on the right trail with a sticking throttle...worth taking a closer look at.
It has run at all speeds and aside from the typical lack of power you'd expect at my tire size it does great with no stalls, surges, or stutters. Idles fine and there is a CEL that just recently came on for the system running too lean but I'm not sure that would have any relation to starting. I have my suspicions that the truck sat for a while with the previous owner, I just picked it up about 2 months ago. I'll check the Fuel pump to see if it primes when I clean the Throttlebody and IAC tomorrow morning. Also hoping/thinking that my throttle is sticking and not allowing air through until it's warmed up/started
Old 06-16-2018, 11:03 PM

the possible culprits.

Idle air control valve could be playing silly buggers while the crud in it is cold and solid. when it warms up it operates a bit more fluid.
Or it could be completely malfunctioning leading to an idle dependant on suction pulling the idle control valve open.
Or there could be a vacuum leak somewhere, which was once small enough to cause problems at the most mixture critical time, (startup), which is now becoming worse, so much worse that it is effecting the ECU during normal operation and is now throwing a code.