86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:25 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Kinda wish there was a better way to search. Especially in long thread like this that cover loads of tech. I guarantee I'll need something I've seen in a build but can find it. Been there and continue to do that.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:06 PM

Received 572 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I'll still try to put single-word hashtag style keywords on my posts, however, for convenience.
^^ Yes, keep doing this! The easier it is to find things, the better. Especially since the special Google search is not the default.

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Kinda wish there was a better way to search. Especially in long thread like this that cover loads of tech. I guarantee I'll need something I've seen in a build but can find it. Been there and continue to do that.
If I ever start a detailed build thread, the first or second post will contain an in depth "table of contents" with key words; like Terrys87 did with his build threads (he has been pretty quiet around here lately...).

I usually bookmark pages I want to look at again and give the page a descriptive title as to why I saved the page.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Search function for phrases

The proper way to search for a phrase is to put it inside quote marks...

Idler pulley bearing, gives fifteen pages..
"Idler pulley bearing", gives three pages..

This works in pretty much any search engine/function.

You can also do things like..
("Idler pully bearing") AND (22RE NOT 3VZE)

I pretty much always just use a Google site search

Site:yotatech.com "whatever I might be looking for" Username, and anything else I recall from the thread..
Old 03-07-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Was going to show you your post, but it's not indexed yet, and I don't recall offhand how to make Google index it (think its a cache:, tag but whatever..)..

site:https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199/rad4runners-1986-4runner-dlx-build-up-252300/ "kind of sloppy"

Old 03-12-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Working on my click-no-crank issue. You mentioned:

*CAVEAT:
I RECENTLY REALIZED THAT WHEN THE STARTER RELAY IS WIRED CORRECTLY ACCORDING TO SCHEMATIC, IN THE UNLIKELY* EVENT THAT THE STARTER RELAY CONTACTS CLOSE* OR SHORT* FOR SOME REASON STARTER WILL CRANK EVEN WITHOUT IGNITION SWITCH BEING TURNED ON. IF PARKED IN FIRST GEAR, TRUCK MAY MOVE AND CAUSE AN ACCIDENT. A KILL SWITCH IN SERIES WITH THE RELAY CONTACT PIN IS HIGHLY-RECOMMENDED. JUST KEEP WIRE RUN TO MINIMUM.
Was wondering if this (see illustration) is what you meant by in series.......as well do you mean pin 4 (is this the actual relay contact pin?) to wire in series?

Old 03-13-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Never mind.....talked to a mechanic friend. The graphic I modded above works like a charm......love having that kill switch!

Last edited by GrimWolf; 03-13-2018 at 09:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RAD4Runner (10-30-2019)
Old 03-14-2018, 12:58 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Goat Canyon Trestle with Monday Maniacs

Spend the day making the 4Runner pretty, or making her work? The latter is morefunner

More about the railroadtrestle here:https://allaroundnevada.com/impossible-railroad/

MORTERO CANYON ROAD OFF OF HWY S2.
We would drive further to Dos Cabezas water tower before starting the hike. There are several ways of getting to the trestle.

A FEW MINUTES INTO THE HIKE WE START BOULDER-HOPPING, which makes up probably 90% of the hike
While climbing a bigger mountain like Rainier or Shasta uses mostly the legs, boulder-hopping a smaller mountain exercises more muscle groups; 2 days later, my marathoner cousin, my tri-athlete friend and I are still pleasantly-sore - LOL!

MORE ROCK-CRAWLING...

NO WARM-UP, JUST ALL-UP

MOUNTAIN GOATS SPOTTED...

TRAILS? WHERE WE'RE GOING WE DO NOT NEED TRAILS

THE TRESTLE COMES INTO VIEW...

MARKER ON RIDGE OVER LOOKING THE TRESTLE.

RECENT LANDSLIDE BUCKLED AND SPLINTERED THE BEAMS

[i]WATCH OUT FOR BROKEN LINKS BETWEEN THE GRATING.

I reinforced this one with a little length of thick wire I found. Hoping others would do same.

WE DID A LOOP ROUTE; THE RETURN TRIP IS NO EASIER (we descended into a canyon.)

MANDATORY AFTER-HIKE PHOTO... LOL!

GOTTA REHYDRATE

ROUTE FROM DOS CABEZAS WATER TANK, TO TRESTLE AND BACK VIA LOOP ROUTE
I think Gaia GPS app stopped recording (purple track) when we went inside a tunnel for lunch. I had to manually re-start recording (dark blue track).

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 03-15-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by GrimWolf
Never mind.....talked to a mechanic friend. The graphic I modded above works like a charm......love having that kill switch!
There you go! Sorry was out running around last couple of days
Old 03-14-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
That tunnel was asking for your 4Runner!
Old 03-27-2018, 05:00 PM

Sleeping Platform

Originally Posted by SomedayJ
That tunnel was asking for your 4Runner!
LOL! Couldn't make the rock crawling necessary to approach the tunnel

I am not building a sleeping platform per se, but am customizing so the rear seats can be easily folded to convert to sleeping area.

This bump on the back of the headrest is unnecessary and requires that I remove the headrest for a flatter sleeping surface.

SOLUTION:

FLAT AS SOON AS FOLDED.
Still trying to figure out a system for the space between front of rear seats and back of front seats that will quickly convert between sleeping and seating area.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:52 AM

Your 4Runner doesn't stop, so where are the photos of the last week trip?
Old 04-05-2018, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner

Still trying to figure out a system for the space between front of rear seats and back of front seats that will quickly convert between sleeping and seating area.
Not pretty but functional.. Piano hench and ply across the top of the seat back. This will extend the sleeping platform all the way across and right uo to the front seatback.. Might need to trim more off the headrest.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Not pretty but functional.. Piano hench and ply across the top of the seat back. This will extend the sleeping platform all the way across and right uo to the front seatback.. Might need to trim more off the headrest.
Great idea! Gotta check dimensions. I can always wrap the plywood with vinyl like I did my front door panels.

Your 4Runner doesn't stop, so where are the photos of the last week trip?
Just stayed local; hauled the kayak to Point Loma to fish...

NEXT TO SAILBOAT WRECK BETWEEN NORTH ISLAND AND POINT LOMA...

FOR LENT, WE HAD SHEEP... ERR... SHEEPHEAD THAT MY FRIEND SPEARED - LOLI already gave up my new year's resolution; don't ask me to give up fish, too. - LOL!
Old 04-08-2018, 08:29 AM

Did you eat that fish?
Old 04-08-2018, 09:51 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
that is sort of my plan for when i finally get the 94 beyond the mall
Old 04-08-2018, 01:30 PM

Did you eat that fish?
Yes. Tasty because it eats shellfish
Old 04-17-2018, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this thread has been a wealth of knowledge since day one....many thanks for keeping it updated RAD

major shout out to RAD.......recently had the no start click only issue in my 86 ( well its an 86 body on an 85 frame...and 3rz swap)....replaced the contacts in the (original Toyota) starter...still click. Replaced the starter....still click. Remembered RAD having issues as well, so found the wiring fix, and so far so good!
And another weird item too....I also had a screw fall into the shroud around my steering wheel causing binding, and had to fish it out. Guess these trucks all experience the same issues at one point.
Old 04-17-2018, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by yota81
this thread has been a wealth of knowledge since day one....many thanks for keeping it updated RAD...
Thanks and happy to help. The 81 still running good?
BTW... I was in Raleigh in Dec 2008...
Cold at night...

BIRTHPLACE OF THE QUALCOMM SNAPDRAGON, THE HEART AND BRAIN OF MANY ANDROID SMARTPHONES

SAL'S BRANCH TRAIL. Warm Days.

I sat and chatted throughout my flight back to SD with Merrie Dawkins whose husband Doug Dawkins was running coast to coast, from North Carolina to San Diego that week. Meet Doug at baggage claim and went our separate ways. The following day they would finish the run on Mission Beach.

DOUG ON EARLIER PICTURE FROM NEVADA DAILY MAIL (ARTICLE HERE)
Old 04-18-2018, 06:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice....42nd street. Been there quite a few times. The growth here has been record breaking. You wouldn't recognize the place.

The 81 has been sold for quite some time.....I have a 85/86 hybrid with a 3rz at the moment.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:33 PM

PLEASE COMMENT ON THE "SAFE HARBORS" THREAD HERE.

Driving to Grand Staircase Escalante, Utah soon. Would like to know if you have trusted mechs / shops along the route...
Passing through:
Victorville, CA
Barstow, CA
las Vegas, NV
Saint George, Washington, Leeds, Cedar City, Parowan, Paragonah, Panguitch, Utah

PLEASE COMMENT ON THE "SAFE HARBORS" THREAD HERE.

Quick Reply: RAD4Runner's 1986 4Runner dlx Build-up