86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 03:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Good luck.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:59 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Luck was not had by or weary mechanics last night. Well, a little. We ended up getting the trans completely out, getting the flex plate bolts out with much struggling. After that we pulled the shims off. Now, I read many thread on this and I was under the impression that the flex plate was on wrong. That's not the case. How it goes is CRANK>THICK SHIM>FLEX PLATE>THIN PLATE. And the thin plate is actually called an anti-gall plate. Keeps the bolt heads from biting the flex plate. Once we reassembled that, we checked the starter and sure enough there's a quarter inch between starter and flex plate now. Perfect. One thing to note is that if you think the flex plate is on wrong, there's 2 clues as to which way points towards the motor. 1 clue is that the shoulders of the teeth are chamfered where they contact the band is. Clue 2 is that the center of the flex plate is a little bit concave. It will allow the flex plate to sit a little further away. It makes more sense when you look at it.

anyways, where we are stuck now is the transfer case is too heavy and is not allowing me to get the trans lined back up correctly. We are 1" away from sliding it home, but it's binding on the body. Drop it down an inch and the lip of the bell housing contacts the flex plate because the tail drops so much. So, I guess the plan tonight is to get a floor jack and a block of wood and CRANK the motor up gently by the crank pulley. Theory is that the motor mounts should flex enough to allow the motor to angle just enough to slide the trans on. I hope it goes on without much fanfare. I'm already beyond done with this trans and fighting it coupled with the fact that the fluid coming from it looks like red tinted used motor oil has me heated even more. I guess I need to do a trans flush asap and get the cooler installed otherwise I may be doing a 5 speed swap sooner than later.

anyways, onto the pics.

THIS IS WRONG.

Thick and thin need to be switched. I had them backwards because I (probably mistakenly) read a thread detailing the order.

Doomy being a trooper. Not happy because her arms were cramping being trapped under that truck trying to get the bolts out.

She got it done though. Only thing she couldn't do was get the flex plate off the shaft because of all the surface rust buildup.

THIS IS CORRECT. Anti gall plate. Then flex plate. Then shim. Then crank.

I'm not enthused. 2 thumbs down for this stupid transmission.

How we left it for the night. Yes, that is extremely angled, however, if I lowered the angle, the trans would either slip out or droop immediately.

So close to being there. We will get it tonight when we are out there.

Jackstands supporting the crossmember for the night. Yes, the crossmember is still on there, but it allows us to wiggle the trans about easier.

Last edited by space-junk; 07-09-2017 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:02 PM

Also, that stupid transmission.....its already attacked me. I was lowering the trans jack and it ended up pinching a dime sized patch of skin between the jack stand and the crossmember. No blood, but pinched a few layers of skin away and had some bruising under(I don't usually bruise). No pictures of the damage, but I'm pretty sure my daughter learned some new words to show off with in kindergarten. Smh.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:20 AM

Ok, the trans saga is almost over. It's been 8 or so hours total now and I'm done with it. The block under the crank pulley worked enough to get it to where incould thread a bolt. Pulled it together and then bolted the crossmember in. Then we got a few more bell housing bolts in, the shift linkages bolted in, sway bar in, front driveshaft in and the transfer case cooler all in. We just have some bell housing bolts, the wiring harness, the rear driveshaft, the starter and the torque converter bolts left. Then as soon as my dad comes home from his vacation, we will start it. I don't wanna start it without him since he's been so crucial to me being able to get this far.

pics.

Last edited by space-junk; 07-08-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 04:02 AM

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Glad to see it's getting there!
but isn't it like 4am out there?
Did you just pull an all nighter on the transmission?
That's some motivation
Old 07-08-2017, 02:33 PM

yea. i work at a hotel and for the past year or so, ive been working evening shift. 3pm-11:30pm. I usually get home about 12:30am, so my "evening time" is from about 1am to 5 or 6am. same as anyone with a normal schedule. just tilted a few hours.
Old 07-09-2017, 05:22 AM

Came home from work tonight with a bad tension headache and feeling dizzy. Ended up passing out on the couch and waking up around 4am. Finally got out to the shop a bit after that and got some things done. Rear driveshaft is in, linkages are in, bell housing bolts are in. Forgot to plug in the wiring harness and still need to do the torque converter bolts, but other than that, we are good.

while doomy was getting the bell housing bolts in, I finly got around to installing the Killer Toy Tops Bikini Top. Fairly straightforward install, although the straps had me puzzled. Doomy figured it out in the end and all is well. Need to remember to recheck the straps after some driving about and I need to think of a way to keep the straps from flapping in the wind.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Gotcha, I do stints on second shift for a few weeks at time every now and then, i usually just pass out right after work though

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the top!
Old 07-09-2017, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
I need to think of a way to keep the straps from flapping in the wind.
Binder clips.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:55 PM

Received 664 Likes on 456 Posts
Impressive work! Can't wait to see her run.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:46 PM

I think the bottom side of the truck is wrapped up for now. I'm still debating on wether or not I want to put the down pipe support bracket on or just stack up some washers. The trans dipstick tube bolts to the bell housing on the outside of that bracket. As of right now it is touching the o2 sensor. Last night, Doomy wrapped up checking all the bolts underneath and getting them tightened up. Found 2 that were loose, so just goes to show that it's always good to double check. After that she got the torque converter bolts in. I think she is sick of laying under this truck by now. Hahaha. As a pick me up, since we were both sick of mechanical work, we decided to install some goodies I've been saving. Trucklites, clear corners, and clear turn signals. Unfortunately, the company I ordered the turn signals from sent me a set for a 3rd gen, so couldn't get those in, but the trucklites and corners look sharp with the white and black motif we have. Gonna have to paint the trim on the corners soon.

didn't get any real pics of the work. Just some pics of our goofy family and the before/after.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:21 PM

...Trucklites, clear corners...pics of our goofy family and the before/after.
The family that wrenches together stays together.
Trucklites FTW!
I didn't quite catch if you got the rear-left corner wiring (to tail lights and tailgate) sorted out.

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 07-12-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:58 PM

im not 100% i know what youre talking about, rad. hahaha
Old 07-12-2017, 07:07 PM

Good job Troy's family.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:20 PM

Bahahaha. The girls say "thanks keef"
Old 07-12-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I didn't quite catch if you got the rear-left corner wiring (to tail lights and tailgate) sorted out.
im not 100% i know what youre talking about, rad. hahaha
I meant this mess - LOL!

Old 07-13-2017, 11:18 AM

AAAH. yea, forgot about that. out of sight, out of mind, i guess. lol! im pretty sure thats for the rear windshield wiper or the pump for the rear sprayer. either way, im not sure itll ever be used. ill dig into it when i have the time, but thats probably gonna be a winter project.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:37 AM

...im not sure itll ever be used...
I don't use my rear wiper and washer, either. Thinking of running the water line to a mister head on the grille. Would help in case radiator needs help staying cool on hot weather trip. Might do it before Monday's drive to Lake Powell for clean-up volunteer work
Old 07-13-2017, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
I don't use my rear wiper and washer, either. Thinking of running the water line to a mister head on the grille. Would help in case radiator needs help staying cool on hot weather trip. Might do it before Monday's drive to Lake Powell for clean-up volunteer work
thats a good idea and ive seen it before. i was thinging more like, moving the squirter so it will squirt directly behind to help deal with these lovely California tailgators. Heck, here in sacramento, weve been ranked as the worst drivers in all of the U.S. Pathetic really. if i had a dashcam to record all the stupid crap i see on ly daily 50 mile trek to work, yall would be amazed. I mean, i drive a bright yellow car that looks like someone stole it off the set of fast and the furious! people still try to merge into me!
Old 07-14-2017, 07:54 AM

thats a good idea and ive seen it before. i was thinging more like, moving the squirter so it will squirt directly behind to help deal with these lovely California tailgators. Heck, here in sacramento, weve been ranked as the worst drivers in all of the U.S. Pathetic really. if i had a dashcam to record all the stupid crap i see on ly daily 50 mile trek to work, yall would be amazed. I mean, i drive a bright yellow car that looks like someone stole it off the set of fast and the furious! people still try to merge into me!
I went out there once, hope you like it, i would never do it

Fort Wayne was just ranked nationally as
18th best city to drive in
9th best run city
Lowest cost of living in the country

Plus we have no vehicle inspections, or emissions checks

​​​​​​there is, however, a distinct lack of mountians, rocks, beaches, salt free roads...

Quick Reply: Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread