86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:42 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Not gonna lie, I'm pissed right now. It's taken a week and a half to get the "new" radiator to me and they sent me the same one again... I told them before that it was too short and I wasn't going to cut up my stock shroud. I also told them that there was just a threaded bung at the top instead of a nipple. If I wanted to piss away money on parts that I have to jury rig to get to work then I would have bought a knockoff radiator from autozone. I didn't spend over 300 bucks to hack up my factory parts. Also note in the pictures that they ripped off CSF's packaging stickers, I'm guessing to hide the fact that it's the same radiator.

Add to that the fact that I can't find the damn flywheel, spacers and dust shield for the trans; or the cover for the EGR passage on the back side of the head and I am one big ball of anger right now.

So, anyone have a 22re flex plate, dust shield, spacers and an egr cover for the back of the head I can buy?

Stock rad and cover.

1st LCE rad and cover.

"New" rad and cover.

All 3.

Measurements of stock vs 1st rad. "New" rad is same as 1st.

Old 04-21-2016, 05:25 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks about the radiator...sorry if I missed it, but does the turbo motor take a different radiator than a standard 22re ?
Old 04-22-2016, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by rustED
That sucks about the radiator...sorry if I missed it, but does the turbo motor take a different radiator than a standard 22re ?
They are 3 core radiators in the same dimensions of the 22re with the addition of the return line nipple brazed into it.

Got a fair bit of work last night thanks to keith. If you haven't met fairy in person, he is an awesome guy. I've known him for several years and he is one of the most knowledgeable, willing to help people I've ever met.

Anyways, got most of the vacuum lines hooked up. The ones not hooked up are still in the truck and will be swapped out during install.

Old 05-12-2016, 02:18 AM

Been a few weeks since I posted because, well, money. Or rather the lack thereof.

I've got just about everything save for spark plugs and a few miscellaneous hoses and she should be good to drop in. Gotta install the water pump and EGR plate on the back of the head. Those are brand new from toyota. Also need to install the flex plate and dust shield that I picked up from the wreckers.

In the mean time, I got the front end ripped apart for painting and found some less than stellar things.

Grille got removed and painted. Not the best job, but it hides a lot of the issues that it previously was showing. The emblem is getting polished and repainted. Condenser had a quick coat of black thrown on it.

Then to the things I am irritated with. First off, I found a massive gash in the drivers side CV boot. Gonna have to replace that eventually. Hopefully the CV isn't damaged or rusty because I just don't have the coin to replace it right now.

Second thing I'm irritated with is the fact that while I got the mirrors off and pulled apart to tighten up the brackets, I found out that all the plastic tabs are busted so even though I tightened the mirrors up, the lenses will still jiggle. Oh yeah, not to mention that the drivers side lens is freaking plastic. So, over the past, god knows how many years the plastic has developed a nice haze that I can't buff out. Oh well. Everything in due time, I guess.

Last edited by space-junk; 05-12-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 04:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 182 Likes on 127 Posts
Looks good dude, I like the white painted grill!!

If it makes you feel any better, I went thru seven (7) radiators till I got the right one. Don't know if you remember that.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:14 PM

7 radiators? Was that for your 5vz?
Old 05-14-2016, 03:21 AM

Some small things done tonight. Got the front buttoned back up. Still need to sand and paint the valence, but I ran out of paint. Got the mirrors sanded down and repainted white, and the transmission dust shield cleand and painted. Also painted the bumper. Thinking this weekend I'll try to get the motor in. Goal is to have it running, registered and smogged by memorial day. It'll be close but it might be doable.

Side note, LCE basically quit responding to me. Dunno what's up, but the 2 sales guys are always busy and never respond to my messages.it is what it is, I guess. I'm just going to trim the shroud and chalk this up as a lesson learned. I'm not going to return their second radiator until I get some form of response from them, however.

As always, the pictures. Let me know what you guys think. We have nicknamed this truck the stormtrooper for now simply because of the color scheme and the fact that my grandpa calls my dad's 2016 GMC 3500 Denali Darth Vader.

Old 05-14-2016, 05:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Do not worry about the torn cv boots Troy. Mine were torn for years, and I never had a problem. Even when I was in that mud pit years ago the cvs' kept going strong. I only ended up replacing them when I went long travel. By the way I still have to old original toyota cvs' in my garage.
Old 05-14-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the grille, I don't think I've ever seen anyone white one out, or the mirrors either, going to look good with the white wheels!
Old 05-15-2016, 03:04 AM

Thank you, Ed. I've never seen that either, so figured we'd try it since it'll eventually get redone. Looks ok for now except that in the light you can REALLY see how faded and yellowed the paint is on the body.

I got a hair bit left to do. Gotta get a few more bolts for the EGR cover and get the studs and nuts installed for the water pump, but I've at least got everything mocked up. I think it looks ok.

Also got the mirrors back on. I've been thinking about what to do with them that won't kill me financially. I think I'm gonna hit up a local plexiglass shop and see if they can either A:buff the mirror out to where it's usable or B:sell me a buffing compound to do it myself.

Old 05-15-2016, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk

Also got the mirrors back on. I've been thinking about what to do with them that won't kill me financially. I think I'm gonna hit up a local plexiglass shop and see if they can either A:buff the mirror out to where it's usable or B:sell me a buffing compound to do it myself.
Plastic buffing compound = toothpaste.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:43 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
....or just hit up a junk yard and get one that's not fogged....

You gonna paint the rest of the rig white again? I'm very colorblind, but can definitely see the difference in the whites...that would bug the hell out of me.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:13 AM

Trying to find an SR5 mirror in a junkyard is gonna be like winning the lottery around here. When money is more abundant I'll take it to a glass shop and have a piece cut for it.

As for the paint, I've decided that I will be doing my own bodywork during the weekends in the summer. I figure one panel a weekend. For sanding, priming, and painting should work. Probably just going to rattle can it unless I can get an hvlp gun. Worst case scenario, the truck is all one color and if it's really bad we can have it vinyl wrapped or something.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:18 AM

I wouldn't wrap it, that's a lot of money to only last a handful of years. One panel at a time is the approach I was gonna do on my Hilux once I do the body work it needs. Heck, yours and mine are both white, maybe we should just have a paint party, lol.
Old 05-19-2016, 02:12 AM

That sounds vaguely sexual...I'm in.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:37 PM

As I keep reminding you Troy, I have HVLP Guns, and, OH BY THE WAY, I USED TOO MAKE A LIVING PAINTING. I can even color match by eye. When do you and Brian want to learn?
Old 05-23-2016, 01:49 PM

you do body work too? lol
i can figure out painting, problem is i don't have a giant air compressor yet.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:05 PM

I can do filler, and I certainly know how to block, not like it is any fun (I am going to be body filling and blocking my 12'X8' living room wall for my projector very soon). I do not have a hammer and dolly but feel very confident. I need to look into pricing a stud-gun.

What kind of body work are you looking for?
Old 05-24-2016, 04:50 PM

Maybe we won't plague Troy's build thread with our conversation, lol. I can PM you about it or you can simply come look at it since were local

Troy - I found a set of mirrors. You can have them if you want. They're of a 1982 Toyota pickup, not sure if they're stock - probably not. Came off a students truck, he pulled them off the other day in favor of horrible 80s truck mirrors so he can see when he pulls his tiny little 4x5 trailer.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:44 AM

Appreciate the offer, Brian, but these are for the 84-89 SR5. Power mirrors FTW.

And by all means, banter away. I love info. My thread, my rules.

I'm thinking that we all go in on some PVC and plastic sheeting so we can build a collapsible paint booth I'm the shop. We will be moving over out 125 gallon air compressor soon, so air shouldn't be a problem.

As for the motor, got a bit more work done. $130 in parts all installed and it doesn't look like much. However, I believe that in just a few more small bits away from install. I have purchased the outlet pipe and u bend hose from the passenger side of the block on the back of the timing cover, and the oil filter bung so I can bypass the stock oil cooler.

Quick Reply: Doomys 87 Turbo 4runner Build thread