Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Xmas gifts for the youngster

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 04:34 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Xmas gifts for the youngster

My youngest son needs a new keyboard and wireless mouse.
He games a lot and has already seen the new Logitech gaming G7 wireless one.
It is a very good gaming mouse, however for some reason the nerds there forgot to include a 2nd side button.
That button comes in useful for surfing the 'Net to go forward and backwards a page, and also to bind the button in a game for an action.
He still likes it though, and it is a very good upgrade from my current MX700 wireless one.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10716

Now the keyboard I have been eyeing for him is the Saitek Eclipse.
It has backlit keys that have two brightnesses adjustable via switch, and you can also switch the lighting off.
It is available in both blue backlit, and night vision red.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/saitekusa/pcgake.html

Which color is easier on the eyes when playing in a darkened room?
Most of the time he has the drapes in the spare room closed to keep the glare off of the monitor, and just a single fluorescent lamp on over the monitor.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The blue keyboard will be much easier on the eyes.
I'd get a G5 mouse (or even a MX510) over the G7 anyday. Unless things have changed in recent months, i know "hardcore" gamers have never cared for wirless mice.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:05 PM
Contributing Member

Blue is definately much easier on the eyes. I think that was the only question you had. Also, I would recommend looking into the MX1000 mouse from Logitech. It doesn't have all the "on-the-go" adjustments like the G7, but it has more functionality (aka. buttons) and can be just as good for gaming if you tune it correctly. Some games, you can bind keys and write scripts to adjust sensitivity on the fly (if he is a gamer...he should know), so that feature on the G7 is almost useless, and I think that's just about the only thing that differenciates the G7 from the MX1000 besides better resolution. Resolution is in my opinion an important thing, but I have gamed just fine with the MX1000. You'll just have to look into what's more important for you.

Also another comment on keyboard...did you ever look into the Logitech G15? It looks pretty neat.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rocket
The blue keyboard will be much easier on the eyes.
I'd get a G5 mouse (or even a MX510) over the G7 anyday. Unless things have changed in recent months, i know "hardcore" gamers have never cared for wirless mice.
"Hardcore" gamers are idiots. The numbers between wired and wireless are very small and getting smaller every day. Everyone depends too much on their equipment, while people are still owning each other with ball mice (read: Razor Viper Mouse). Personally I believe that wireless is better because you have the freedom of wireless with very little to lose.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
"Hardcore" gamers are idiots.
I never said they were smart. But you can go to just about any gamer and/or computer website/forum and see the majority uses wire.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:21 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

My friend Andy who owns the All Pro Gamer server we run currently has the same wireless mouse I do, the MX700.
Although he did just get the MX1000.
I get zero lag with myMX700, and all I play is twitchy fast paced games such as UT 2004.

No, most gamers these days are switching to wireless mice.
They have come a long way, the Logitech ones.
He is very hardcore, and would never switch back to a corded mouse, even the infamous MX510.
He plays CS:S daily, every day

That new G15 keyboard is pretty fugly IMO, and the LCD screen is just added junk on it.
I currently have the Logitech Elite myself, and like it.
Although I may try out the Eclipse one too.

Yeah, I will probably go with the blue one for him if it is easier on the peepers.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Every now and then i'll frequent www.ocforums.com
I've read so many complaints about wirelesss mice that i choose the MX510 and i absolutely love it. I do know the MX1000 has been great for many users but i still think a corded mouse is the way to go if it's gonna be used primarly for gaming. The new G7 though, might very well be the next best thing.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:22 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I guess it boils down to whether you want to put up with the cord on the mouse.
I hate having a cord on it, and I get much better control with no cords in my way.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rocket
I never said they were smart. But you can go to just about any gamer and/or computer website/forum and see the majority uses wire.
Oh, I didn't mean to come over rude. But as you see from Corey's comment some posts above, most of them are switching to wireless, they just take longer to realize what's good for them. Everyone will eventually realize that the plane WILL take off, it's just a matter of time. Sorry if you understood my comment the wrong way.

Corey...yes, I suppose the G15 is not the prettiest, but I like the LCD feature, kind of neat. I have the Elite as well (corded...I don't need wireless atm) and I wish this one had an LCD...it's a very nice keyboard. I also heard the G15 has silent keys, which I love to death as well
Old 12-08-2005, 03:49 AM

this thing looks awesome!

http://www.leapfrog.com/do/findprodu...gh&key=fly_pen