Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

How many use a PC to record TV shows?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 03:10 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
How many use a PC to record TV shows?

I do most of my recording of Prime Time TV on the VCR hooked up to my TV.
But sometimes if two shows are on at the same time, I have no choice but to use my TV tuner card in my PC and its PVR software.

The really cool thing about it is I can record two ways.
The first is to do it manually from its interface.
Boring

My tuner card uses an online service to auto input TV shows called Titan TV.

With it you sign up for a "free" account and you can launch the page either from the remote control, the software, or just on your own from your browser.

A cookie is placed on your PC so it remembers your login info and where you live for your cable or satellite service.

You can look at the grid much like a TV guide, and all you do is hover your mouse over a program and a menu pops up giving you your options to record or get info.

Once you hit record, it opens up app via JAVA to set your options.

I always op to turn off the PC after it is done.
My goal when I get back to Boeing is to build a shuttle PC for the living room and do away with my TV I have now, and go with a wireless keyboard and mouse, another TV tuner card, and a 42" LCD screen, and another 5.1 system like I have hooked up to my PC now.

This is actually easier than programming a VCR, and I was just wondering how many others use their PCs to do this too.
Old 11-08-2004, 06:10 PM
Away

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an ATI AIW (All-In-Wonder) Radeon 9600 Pro video card which includes a TV and FM radio tuner. I can program the ATI Multimedia Center software to record TV and Radio programs.I have it set to record several shows a week for my GF, who works really weird hours so she misses her shows when they air. I've had TV on my PC for about 4 years now. Before the current card, I had the original AIW Radeon. I use Guide+ software for a channel guide.

Peace.
G
Old 11-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Greetings,
I do it the easy way, Direct TV with DVR. I have two cables into each DVR which then allows you to record one while watching another, OR, Record two while you watch something you already recorded.
The best thing about them is the ability to stop the show for up to 30 minutes. then continue. DVR is the way to go. I have Six TV's in the house starting at 27" XBR through 53" XBR, (I think its 53). Using the PC gets too complicated for me. I watch TV to relax and don 't want to have to deal with a PC while relaxing. I like just pushing the buttons.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

I've used ShowShifter to record TV on my PC for a couple of years now. It also supports Titan TV. It works OK, but lacks the scheduling features that I love about my TiVo. I've tried just about every PVR software package out there (SnapStream Beyond TV, Media Portal, Sage TV, MythTV, Freevo and several others that I can't remember off the top of my head). They're all quirky and lack features that I think are no brainers. I think PVR software still has some growing to do before it's ready for prime time.

Until that killer app comes out, I'll stick with my TiVo and use ShowShifter to record an occasional show that conflicts with one of my Season Passes. Of course, I could get another TiVo and eliminate that need altogether...hmmm.
Old 11-09-2004, 01:31 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by MvCrash
Using the PC gets too complicated for me. I watch TV to relax and don 't want to have to deal with a PC while relaxing. I like just pushing the buttons.
Mv, my remote that came with the tuner card also lets me go forward and backwards like a DVD or VCR, pretty cool.

It also has time shifting so you can freeze a live broadcast if you need to get up and do something, and come back and catch up.
The part you recorded while you got up plays in a small window while the live broadcast continues so you do not miss anything.

Jim, I tried a trial of the SnapStream software, and found it difficult to use.
That is why I like the Titan TV website, all the shows are laid out for you in a grid like a paper TV guide that comes with the Sunday Times.

Dr. Z, when I build my shuttle in the future, I may try the ATI AIW 9600 Pro or XT if the case does not have enough room in it for a tuner card.

I would like to use a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS in it also, but if not enough room, I would use the on board audio from the motherboard, and stick with a tuner card like I have now.
I have had pretty good luck with it for what I paid for it.
I think I got mone for $45, they went up a few bucks.
Old 11-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Contributing Member

Corey,
I did'nt know they came with a remote. That is cool. The bad part of my set-up is the damn bill. Most people want to pass out when they hear how much my tv bill is. I'm pretty sure it is close to a small car payment!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 04:01 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Does not TIVO cost money each month too?
The TitanTV website is totally free, and you can set up as many shows in advance as you want to record.

Yes, this is a good remote, even has a "boss" key on it.

I about freaked out whne I saw the price for a 42" LCD monitor.
We get them in at work once in awhile, and I looked one up on the 'Net, and it was close to $6K, and it does not do TV, it is just a huge PC monitor.
But this is what I want to build my living room TV/PC around with the shuttle box.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
The TitanTV website is totally free, and you can set up as many shows in advance as you want to record.

Yes, this is a good remote, even has a "boss" key on it.

I about freaked out whne I saw the price for a 42" LCD monitor.
We get them in at work once in awhile, and I looked one up on the 'Net, and it was close to $6K, and it does not do TV, it is just a huge PC monitor.
But this is what I want to build my living room TV/PC around with the shuttle box.
Greetings,
Due to my large montly payment to Directtv, I don't have to pay for Tivo. My monthly TV bill is close to $150.00 a month, I guess its the least they can do. I don't even get any sports channels, just all the movies and stuff. My favorite channel is the History channel and the Modern Marvels series.
If I were you, I'd wait a bit for the LCD's or Plasma displays. I'm pretty sure they will come down significantly in price next year. If you watch the price of smaller LCD monitors in the PC world, you'll see they are slowly decreasing in price. About 3 years ago there was a big surge in Laptop purchases and the factories were not large enough to supply the demand. Then there was some type of natuaral disaster (typhoon I think) that destroyed some LCD and memory factories. I had purchased two 17 inch Mitsubishi LCD screens for $249.00 each, then within 6 months, the prices were well over $400.00.
I'm pretty sure the factories are back up and running and thats the reason you see the decrease in memory prices and I think the LCD's are next.

Just my 2cents

PS, I want a large LCD also!!!!!
Old 11-09-2004, 05:01 PM
Contributing Member

Jim, I tried a trial of the SnapStream software, and found it difficult to use.
That is why I like the Titan TV website, all the shows are laid out for you in a grid like a paper TV guide that comes with the Sunday Times.
I didn't like SnapStream either. I think ShowShifter is easier to use and I get better picture quality. ShowShifter works with Titan TV, but my real complaint is that it's too manual. With my TiVo, I set a Season Pass for a particular show and it records every episode, no matter when or what channel it's on. It will also ignore duplicates so it doesn't record the same episode of a show several times. I never have to go back and pick shows I want to record--just set it and forget it. I haven't been able to find any software that handles that task very elegantly.

It costs $12.95 a month. It seems like a rip off, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that has TiVo that would be willing to give it up. The convenience that $12.95 buys is worth it to me.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:32 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Jim, another cool thing about my PVR software, not the TitanTV, but the software that came with the tuner card is you can set it to record your shows all the time.
Not just once, but once a week or more often if it is on more than once.

I am not familiar with the ATI software, but when I ran the demo of Snapstream, it was not as easy as Leadtek's PVR app..
http://www.pnw4runners.com/temp2/pvr_ap.jpg

I also set it to turn off the PC after the show is recorded.
Not bad for an under $50 card.

Dang, MV, that is a hefty TV bill
Old 11-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Away

I also have a Dual AMD CPU server, with the original AIW Radeon in it, serving TV over the Network in my house to the kid's PC. ATI's Multimedia Center (MMC) from version 8.5 on up includes EazyShare TV (that's not a typo) and has both the client and server side apps included. The kids can control the TV on the server from their room and watch Live TV and even Pause it as well, like Tivo.

I can do the same on my PC concerning the pausing of Live TV. ATI rules when it comes to their AIW cards. If you get one Corey, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Peace.
G

Last edited by Dr. Zhivago; 11-10-2004 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jimrockford
It costs $12.95 a month. It seems like a rip off, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that has TiVo that would be willing to give it up. The convenience that $12.95 buys is worth it to me.
Greetings,
I agree, TIVO is the Bomb. I think you can also pay 300 dollars for a life time subscription but I'm not Sure.
Old 11-19-2004, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Zhivago
I also have a Dual AMD CPU server, with the original AIW Radeon in it, serving TV over the Network in my house to the kid's PC. ATI's Multimedia Center (MMC) from version 8.5 on up includes EazyShare TV (that's not a typo) and has both the client and server side apps included. The kids can control the TV on the server from their room and watch Live TV and even Pause it as well, like Tivo.

I can do the same on my PC concerning the pausing of Live TV. ATI rules when it comes to their AIW cards. If you get one Corey, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it.

Peace.
G

Hey Z, I just upgraded to a AIW 9700 Pro form my old AIW Pro, and my TV quality is much lower. I get a lot of artifacts and lines, especially on the lower channels. Did you experience any of this? I know that the 9600 Pro used a digital tuner, and the 9700 uses an analog one that was supposed to be better, but so far I'm not impressed. Also I'm missing VideoSoap to clean up my recordings, did you MMC come with it?