Computer Talk Discussions here pertain to mods, troubleshooting, and PC/console gaming

Heads UP: Firefox 2 has been released

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heads UP: Firefox 2 has been released

What's New in Firefox 2

Visual Refresh: Firefox 2's theme and user interface have been updated to improve usability without altering the familiarity of the browsing experience.

Built-in phishing protection: Phishing Protection warns users when they encounter suspected Web forgeries, and offers to return the user to their home page. Phishing Protection is turned on by default, and works by checking sites against either a local or online list of known phishing sites. This list is automatically downloaded and regularly updated when the Phishing Protection feature is enabled.

Enhanced search capabilities: Search term suggestions will now appear as users type in the integrated search box when using the Google, Yahoo! or Answers.com search engines. A new search engine manager makes it easier to add, remove and re-order search engines, and users will be alerted when Firefox encounters a website that offers new search engines that the user may wish to install.

Improved tabbed browsing: By default, Firefox will open links in new tabs instead of new windows, and each tab will now have a close tab button. Power users who open more tabs than can fit in a single window will see arrows on the left and right side of the tab strip that let them scroll back and forth between their tabs. The History menu will keep a list of recently closed tabs, and a shortcut lets users quickly re-open an accidentally closed tab.

Resuming your browsing session: The Session Restore feature restores windows, tabs, text typed in forms, and in-progress downloads from the last user session. It will be activated automatically when installing an application update or extension, and users will be asked if they want to resume their previous session after a system crash.

Previewing and subscribing to Web feeds: Users can decide how to handle Web feeds (like this one), either subscribing to them via a Web service or in a standalone RSS reader, or adding them as Live Bookmarks. My Yahoo!, Bloglines and Google Reader come pre-loaded as Web service options, but users can add any Web service that handles RSS feeds.

Inline spell checking: A new built-in spell checker enables users to quickly check the spelling of text entered into Web forms (like this one) without having to use a separate application.

Live Titles: When a website offers a microsummary (a regularly updated summary of the most important information on a Web page), users can create a bookmark with a "Live Title". Compact enough to fit in the space available to a bookmark label, they provide more useful information about pages than static page titles, and are regularly updated with the latest information. There are several websites that can be bookmarked with Live Titles, and even more add-ons to generate Live Titles for other popular websites.

Improved Add-ons manager: The new Add-ons manager improves the user interface for managing extensions and themes, combining them both in a single tool.

JavaScript 1.7: JavaScript 1.7 is a language update introducing several new features such as generators, iterators, array comprehensions, let expressions, and destructuring assignments. It also includes all the features of JavaScript 1.6.

Extended search plugin format: The Firefox search engine format now supports search engine plugins written in Sherlock and OpenSearch formats and allows search engines to provide search term suggestions.

Updates to the extension system: The extension system has been updated to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions.

Client-side session and persistent storage: New support for storing structured data on the client side, to enable better handling of online transactions and improved performance when dealing with large amounts of data, such as documents and mailboxes. This is based on the WHATWG specification for client-side session and persistent storage.

SVG text: Support for the svg:textpath specification enables SVG text to follow a curve or shape.

New Windows installer: Based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System, the new Windows installer resolves many long-standing issues.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

I like it so far, nothing spectacular new but it's been updated.

Here is the link: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/
Old 10-26-2006, 11:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Surfing on it right now! Just dl'd it night before last... or last night...?? I can't remember.. hahaha
Old 10-27-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Doesn't work with some of the extenstions I have like FasterFox, damn!
Old 10-27-2006, 07:45 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
just a little side note for those of us running macs, these guys put out a firefox every release that is optimized for os x and it really is faster. this is a blog article my blog-nerd roommate wrote: http://paulstamatiou.com/2006/10/26/...x-20-for-macs/

also, you can find this through a few links on there, but theres an extension that supposedly lets you persuade your extensions to work on new releases (tricking them into thinking youre running the older version) that is supposed to work. i just downloaded it but have not used it. could be worth a shot http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave...irefox/nightly
Old 10-28-2006, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by drguitarum2005
also, you can find this through a few links on there, but theres an extension that supposedly lets you persuade your extensions to work on new releases (tricking them into thinking youre running the older version) that is supposed to work. i just downloaded it but have not used it. could be worth a shot http://users.blueprintit.co.uk/~dave...irefox/nightly
Thanks, I'll give that a try when I get home.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:27 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Question.
With Windows XP Pro, do I need to uninstall my current up to date Firefox, or can I just let the new one install over it?

It took me forever to get my bookmarks here arraigned and my toolbar with a few yellow folders on it hat pop open with more URLs inside.

I prefer IEs bookmarking and toolbar ease of setup over FireFox, and I may not remember how to add the yellow folders back.

Too bad it just will not update from the Help link in the toolbar, that would be sweet.

PS, I like the spell checker too it mentions above.
We have tried to install one for our forum software here with zero success.
When the forum was setup years ago, the structure of it was not setup normally, and we think the code for the VB spell checker looks for a directory we do not have here.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Found this on their site:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox...notes/#install
Installing Firefox 2

Please note that installing Firefox 2 will overwrite your existing installation of Firefox. You won't lose any of your bookmarks or browsing history, but some of your extensions and other add-ons might not work until updates for them are made available.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

OK, I installed it over the top of the old one, all is good.
I spelled "good" above wrong, I spelled it "goed" and it underlines the whole word in red

This is cool, you then right click the word and it offers suggestions.
However there is no field in it to retype the word yourself to let it know what you want it as for the future.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

No more excuses for spelling errors on Yotatech posts!
Old 10-28-2006, 05:58 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I dig the spell checker.
Must faster than having to cut/paste into 2003 Outlook, then cut/paste again to the post.

I need to change the new links/pics from opening up into new tabs though, I prefer them opening up into new windows instead.

By default you get a new tab instead.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
Originally Posted by Corey
I dig the spell checker.
Must faster than having to cut/paste into 2003 Outlook, then cut/paste again to the post.

I need to change the new links/pics from opening up into new tabs though, I prefer them opening up into new windows instead.

By default you get a new tab instead.
i was wondering what spell checker you were talking about then i realized its the same one ive had for a long time. ive had version 2 for a loooong time since all the betas have been coming out unannounced. rock on though, it is a really nice feature
Old 10-28-2006, 07:15 PM

yea the built in spell checker is nice, i used to use the google tool bar with the spell checker this is alot better, and i'm digging the faster speeds, i was bearly using firefox before, it was running kinda slower then before.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a pretty cool extension that allows you to hold your cursor over a link and the page will pop up without opening a new browser. The extension is called Cooliris Previews.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Very cool Thomas.

Two places to get it.
From the maker
http://cooliris.com/

and from Firefox's site
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/2207/

Gosh, even when typing this I can mouse over my name above where it says I am logged in as Corey, and my profile screen pops up.
The links turn red too after you have previewed them.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Contributing Member

What is this spell checker you guys are mentioning. I can't find it for the life of me...
Old 10-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

When you type something in the quick reply box (as I am doing right now) and you make a spelling error, the misspelled word will be underlined with a red dotted line.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by arjan
When you type something in the quick reply box (as I am doing right now) and you make a spelling error, the misspelled word will be underlined with a red dotted line.
Oh...I see. I tried it in other places but it doesn't always work. Well, thanks!
Old 10-29-2006, 09:54 PM
Contributing Member

I noticed that too, if you are in a text box, then right click and make sure "spell check this field" is enabled.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Contributing Member

Cool Iris works pretty neat too. It just doesn't seem to work on my Gmail account.
That would be the cats meow, not to have to go into each email.
I guess the problem is with secure pages.

Quick Reply: Heads UP: Firefox 2 has been released