GPS & Communication Discussions here pertain to the use and troubleshooting of GPS, CB radio, and amateur radio

So I thought I would try it.....

Old 08-22-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I thought I would try it.....

Hey guys, first thread here, and I wanted to tell about what I did today. I've been into cb for awhile, and because of my location (in VA beach) I am not able to install a full size base antenna. My wife recently ordered Verizon Fios, which means that the direct tv antenna mount on the roof is now available, and I thought I would try my hand at making a mobile antenna work. I started with a 4' Firestik and resonant radials insulated from the mount, but that didn't work; couldn't get an SWR below 1.5. The radials were 2 108" sections of RG58U coax with shields and center conductor both crimped in ring terminal connectors set up 180 degrees from each other (north and south) They were almost in the horizontal plane as I had no other landing options for the guy wires. I tried a few antennas that I have on hand (5' Wilson Silver load, 3' Everhart super tiger, and Wilson 2000) but didn't get any better results, and then I had an idea. #1, ground the mount with the existing direct tv coax shield to the water pipe which protrudes just below it. #2 Coil the 2 radials around the footprint of the direct tv mount on the roof in opposing directions (don't need guy wires anymore) #3 uninsulate the radials. And bingo, SWR flatlines and field strength skyrockets! Now I have a 5' Wilson Silver load attached to a roof mounted direct tv mount (minus dish and heads) with no noticeable radials, flatlined SWR, and I made a contact 7 miles away with a stock Midland handheld with a RG58 to BNC connector, 18' of RG58U coax, and the other guy said I sounded fine. It took me awhile, but now I have a working base antenna that is only visible when you are looking for it. I feel proud. I know it's not an A99 or Imax 2000, but I was glad to be able to apply a little antenna theory, adjust, and get results. Now.......on to power supplies and a decent radio. Its been a good day.