Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Sound system thoughts and opinions

Old 06-28-2011, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound system thoughts and opinions

I have a '88 regular cab and here is what I'm thinking of putting in my truck (all from crutchfield) let me know what you guys think and what you've got that works well.

- Pioneer DEH-1200MP head unit
- Sound ordnance p-40's under the dash
- Sound ordnance p-52's in the door
- I'll build a custom box and put in a Rockford Fosgate R2SD2-10 sub
- What amp should I use??
Old 07-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Check out sonic electronix for better prices.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM

Yeah crutchfield is very expensive. Ive always had good luck with sonicelectronix.com
Old 09-22-2011, 04:10 AM

I ended up with Boston acoustic components and a pioneer head unit for a great price.. Almost 70 dollars cheaper than crutchfield. I'm very pleased with the customer service and accessories they include. I ordered yesterday and expect to have them by Monday! Thanks for suggesting sonic electronix
Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by GRINDER32
I ended up with Boston acoustic components and a pioneer head unit for a great price.. Almost 70 dollars cheaper than crutchfield. I'm very pleased with the customer service and accessories they include. I ordered yesterday and expect to have them by Monday! Thanks for suggesting sonic electronix
glad you like sonicelectronix.com, i get most of my stuff from them, i was thinking about your sub set up, i wouldnt get the rockford sub, if you have to have shallow then get the pioneer TS-SW2501S2 (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-SW2501S2.html), if not then i have many other subs that would be very very nice sounding and reliable.
and if you want a sub around that power handleing capability then i would say a cadence XAH400.1b (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_....1b-Black.html)

if you want something better then hit me up with a PM and i will find out what your gunna be listening to and how much your budget is and i can hit you up with many good set ups.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:34 AM

I ended up with Boston acoustic components and a pioneer head unit
are you running the components on the head unit???
if so then stop!
here is an amp that will do what you need, (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...rt-FX2.60.html)
i dont know what boston acoustic components you got so i chose an amp that can be wired to power eather of there low level systems,
60rms for the lowest level components they make (they handle 55rms) and 120rms for there next level up components, obviously that is changed by wireing them from 4ohm to 2 ohm.
and you cant beat that price!
Old 11-25-2011, 01:43 PM

I have the s50's, and haven't even wired them yet.. I've never used anything but stock speakers so please explain why I'll be needing an amp
Old 11-26-2011, 09:50 AM

I have the s50's, and haven't even wired them yet.. I've never used anything but stock speakers so please explain why I'll be needing an amp
he is suggesting an amp because your aftermarket head unit will not provide the speakers with enough power. you can damge the speakers just as easily by underpowering them, as you can with over powering them.
Old 11-28-2011, 09:02 AM

im sugjesting you use an amplifier because most after market head units put out at best 22rms to each speaker, and the lowest boston acoustic they sell wants 55rms, if you under power speakers or subs then when you get to the "22" rms that the head unit suplies then it will be at its max clean power, if you turn it up any more than that then you start clipping the signal witch may not sound bad at first because you wont clip it bad till higher tilt on deck, but even just a little clipping can make the voice coil over heat and ruin the speakers, if you put an amplifier on it then you have plenty of power, so you can turn the head unit up as far as you want (with the gain on the amp at lowest point) then slowly turn the gain up on the amp till it is as loud as you want the speakers to go. then ajust your lowpass filter, you dont want to be sending bass notes to your speakers (below a sertain point that is) because it can cause distortion. let ur sub stage do the bass work.
if you do what i have listed then those speakers should sound great and be very reliable (unless you like to swim with ur truck like me)
you shouldnt have to worry about the highpass filter much because of the cross over that comes with the component system, it will send the high frequencies to the tweet (but only the frequencies that it can handle) and the lower frequencies to the mid bass.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:27 AM

Thanks, y'all have helped a ton!!