Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Radio Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio Installation

Hey guys,

Just bought a 4runner. It's a 94 and I'm having some problems with a custom radio installation. I've found a guide online that shows how to replace the radio and has a wire diagram explaining the installation. I've followed the guide and upon finishing the installation My radio works perfectly..... but for some reason the remote line on my radio is not triggering the auto antenna or the in car amp, so I'm not getting any kind of sound.

I've checked the wiring diagrams I can find... which aren't many, or they have a full on diagram with wire colors my radio doesn't have. The manual link leads me to a radio diagram I don't quite fully understand

This is the guide I used:
http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Toyota/PDF/869017.asp

After matching the wires in the guide I'm left with a black w/ white stripe, and a black w/ orange striped wires. The guide just says to hook those both up to the remote... So I'm assuming they are the amp and auto antenna lines but from some reason... They aren't kicking in.

I have really searched and looked hard for answers and read through all the guide I could get my hands on. So, I need someone elses advice. If you've got any please let me know. You all know how it is to drive without tunes.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Put in a 3 fuse block and run the ignition power wire to that, and run the radio to one fuse and antenna to another fuse and amp to another fuse so there all protected and they'll all turn on when the ignition is turned to ACC, then you won't have to worry about any other wire and why there not working, easy fix! :}
Old 12-10-2011, 10:14 PM

Okay so I thought I had it figured out. Turns out I was way off.

The wires I am trying to use are PRE-AMP. My 4runner has a small power amp installed. The connections coming out of the amp are color matched to the diagrams I can find.

However, I can't find any map or diagram of the wires pre-amp.

I guess I could skip the pre-amp but the tiny extra bit of juice would be nice.

Any connector "c" pre-amp wire diagrams out there?
Or a tutorial on how to find out for myself, without melting my radio or amp?

Last edited by Jastic; 12-10-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:55 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

Be nice to know just what year your working on??

For the most I just buy what ever adapter I need to plug into the Toyota Harness Plug in wire the radio good to go.

Does your power antenna work??
Old 12-11-2011, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Be nice to know just what year your working on??

For the most I just buy what ever adapter I need to plug into the Toyota Harness Plug in wire the radio good to go.

Does your power antenna work??
Originally Posted by Jastic
Hey guys,

Just bought a 4runner. It's a 94 and I'm having some problems with a custom radio installation. I've found a guide online that shows how to replace the radio and has a wire diagram explaining the installation. I've followed the guide and upon finishing the installation My radio works perfectly..... but for some reason the remote line on my radio is not triggering the auto antenna or the in car amp, so I'm not getting any kind of sound.

I've checked the wiring diagrams I can find... which aren't many, or they have a full on diagram with wire colors my radio doesn't have. The manual link leads me to a radio diagram I don't quite fully understand

This is the guide I used:
http://www.installdr.com/InstallDocs/Toyota/PDF/869017.asp

After matching the wires in the guide I'm left with a black w/ white stripe, and a black w/ orange striped wires. The guide just says to hook those both up to the remote... So I'm assuming they are the amp and auto antenna lines but from some reason... They aren't kicking in.

I have really searched and looked hard for answers and read through all the guide I could get my hands on. So, I need someone elses advice. If you've got any please let me know. You all know how it is to drive without tunes.

Thanks in advance!

HAHAHA just giving you a hard time brother
Old 12-11-2011, 07:21 AM

the orange wires have to do with your dimmers, tape them off and leave them alone. dont hook them up to anything. there should be a solid blue and a blue with white stripe wire on the radio harness, and a solid blue wire on teh aftermarket harness. connect all of the blue wires together and you should be good to go. I cant remember right now without SEARCHING but you may have to run new wires to the speakers in the rear to bypass the factory amp.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:46 PM

Ok update!

So I've finally found what wires turn on the preamp and the auto antenna! The black and orange, and Pink and blue wires both need to be connected to the remote line.

New problems...
I have all the left over wire and no way to find the polarity or even to which speaker they go to...

I've hooked up all the positive lines. When I hook up all the positive line from my radio I can fade from front to back and balance left to right, but problem is When I try to hook up the negatives I start and get a hissing noise, a clicking noise, or my radio just goes quiet until I separate the wires.

Any ideas on how to find out what wires do what pre-amp?
Old 01-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Bump. This is the info I have

The factory amp has the following color wires.

Red / Black / Yellow / Blue / Green / Teal / Purple / Blk&Wh / Blk&Or / Pink&Blue / White.

I know the following:

Blue seems to trigger the front left speaker.
Black seems to trigger the front right speaker.
Yellow and Green seem to affect the rear left and right speakers.
Pink&Blue and Blk/Or, need power for the power antenna to work. (And what seems like amp power. but whats strange is both need power for the antenna to go up... not just one)

Any help at all would be great. Even if you know some default amplifier wire colors. I know they aren't the same for all amps.. but I really need a starting point that isn't.. let me touch these two together.... lol.

Any, help, any at all is welcome.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
Did you buy a factory harness adapter or did you cut wires to hook up the aftermarket deck??
Old 01-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Its like this:

(Car Speakers)-->[Wire-harness]-->[Amplifier]-->[Pre-Amp Wiring]--..this is where the problem is...-->[Aftermarket Stereo]

Where you would normally put the wire harness adapter the wires plug into the toyota factory amp. I needed the harness for the pre-amp wires themselves which is not wired the same as the original harness.

I could not and still can't find a wiring diagram for this amp. Hence the difficulty that I'm having. I could buy a new amp and by pass all this but I'd rather see if I can get the car amp to work.

(I'd take pictures but my little brother broke my camera last year and i have no funds for a news one yet.)