Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Pickup speaker placement/mounting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pickup speaker placement/mounting?

With spring arriving in a few months, I'm starting to make plans for the warmer weather. I've got a 92 pickup with an extended cab. Last summer I really wanted to take the doors off to beat the heat, and I like the style (I may have been a jeep owner in my previous life....) the problem was I still wanted to listen to my music while driving. The PO installed some aftermarket speakers in the inside door panels. 6.5 pioneers. They're really nice so I'd like to avoid getting new ones

Here's my question. How/where can I mount the speakers without doors?

Because of their size, I can't put them in the kickpanel. I did look at q logic kick panel enclosures, but like I said, I'd like to avoid buying new speakers if possible. I thought about underneath the glove box but size was an issue there too. Also I don't see how I could mount them under the steering column (I want it to be symmetrical. I'm OCD like that).

Here's something I came up with. I can fab up a case with brackets that I could mount on the ceiling just behind the driver and passenger seats. Hopefully if I do it right it shouldn't get in the way of heads of people sitting on the bench seats in the back. I've never seen this setup before. Not sure if it's because I'm just super creative, or if it's because it wouldn't work. Possibly the latter. But I digress. My main concern is the thickness of the ceiling. I don't want to be drilling holes and all of a sudden have a 3mm skylight.

I've seen other people mount about the same size speakers in the rear side compartments. I'm sure that would be easier, but I do already like storing things in there. Also I'm not entirely sure how to go about wiring in that situation.

Alright, this has gone on long enough for just a simple mod. If you've got advice I'd love hearing it!

tl;dr
I like music. I don't like doors. How do I compromise?
Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Only thing I can think of
Attached Thumbnails Pickup speaker placement/mounting?-floorbass.jpg  
Old 02-04-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 215 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by brorealz
Only thing I can think of
Wow that looks functional
Old 02-04-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
someone makes kick-panel speaker panels that are made for our trucks, and will accept a 6.5" speaker if interested in that route - but it would kill all your foot room, which is already limited IMO. not sure who it is that makes it, but they do/did exist a few years ago when I was looking. I do know that they won't work if you ever tub your firewall. personally, i would avoid these, but the option is there if interested.

do you still have 4" dash speakers installed? i still have 4" dash speakers on my x-cab, combined with 6.5" speakers added to cut door panels (which I'm assuming is how yours are installed). Since my 4" actually sound decent (Boston Acoustic) by themselves, I've thought about what to do if I ever go with tube/no doors - and my ideas were several combos that may/may not work for you. (Keep in mind that I've always planned to add either a subwoofer or some 6x9s to the rear of the cab sometime down the road)
- 4" dash speakers by themselves. Leaves a lot to be desired.
- 4" dash for mid/hi + 8-10" subwoofer under jumper seat for all the bass.
- 4" dash speakers + 6.5" or 6"x9" speakers installed in side cubbys (+ subwoofer under jumper)
- last combo would be have 4" dash dedicated as CB radio speakers, then add 2 speakers to the rear of the cab (rears, in cubbys), so that when you have your doors in (fronts), you've got 4 speakers on your 4-speaker outputs.

If you have an amplifier installed, it will make having 4-6 speakers easier to work with when disconnecting/swapping since you'll most likely have more speaker outputs. For quick disconnect of the speakers (like at the door) - leave a pigtail coming out of the door/cab and install a connector, like a DEANS PLUG or similar connection -- this way you can quickly unclip it without having to mess with the wires.

If you don't have the amp, you could always splice the wires and leave one side wherever you want the speaker to be when in use. I wouldn't leave speakers connected to both ends, your sound quality will not be there since the signal doesn't have enough juice to properly power both speakers on a split signal, that's what amplifiers/etc are made for.

Oh yeah, if you are trying to do all this with the OEM stereo, it won't work since that stock head unit most likely only has 2 speaker outputs since the truck only came with 2 dash speakers. That's how mine was, so I installed a $50 Sony unit.

Last edited by highonpottery; 02-04-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Discombobulated

Wow that looks functional
I try my best for great success