Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

new head unit = rear speakers no sound

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 06:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
new head unit = rear speakers no sound

Hey all,

I just installed a "new" kenwood head unit I bought from a member. Installation went great, except I realize the rear speakers aren't working.

I THINK i read here at one time that these rear speakers have their own amp and something.....something....something...I don't remember exactly what was said, just that it could be a problem when putting a new head unit in.

It is a 1st Gen 4runner and had the "premium" stereo in it as stock.

Any help or suggestions?

BTW my stock deck must have been on its last leg, because it sounds so much better w/just the front speakers then it did before.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jay gave me call and I will walk tell you what need to be done. I need to know what wire are where.
Old 01-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

Patrick,

PM me your number again and I'll give you a call.

I have the same problem I have read about in other threads, but can't figure out exactly what to do.

I have sound to all four speakers with the radio on, but with the CD player only the front, something to do with the antenna? speaker amps in the back?

I have one wire on the kenwood harness that doesn't have anywhere to connect it. It is blue and white, and says "P control" there isn't another wire on the Car harness to attach it to.

Thanks
Jay
Old 01-29-2006, 04:11 PM

That wire is for an externat amp, it is for the remote to turn the amp on when the stereo turns on. Did you use the amp in the car already. When I installed my head unit I took out the amp. I used a harness from walmart and everything works fine
Old 01-29-2006, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...+sound+antenna

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...+sound+antenna

well at least I'm not crazy and others have had the same problem, lol

sigh...guess I'll keep fooling around with the blue and white wires tomorrow and see what happens.

See if I'm going in the right direction here.
I have 2 blue and white wires coming from the Kenwood harness.

1) Power Control/Motor antenna control wire (blue and white) . I have this connected to the car harness.
2) Power control wire (blue and white). This is not not hooked up to the car harness.

So if I'm following correctly I need to disconnect #1 from the car harness and connect #2 to the car harness.

Am I correct??!?!?!?

Last edited by gohawks; 01-29-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:11 AM

Yes, the car harness goes to both the amps and the antenna. If you use the antenna wire from the stereo, the amps only turn on with the radio on. I had the same problem myself.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by gohawks
Patrick,

PM me your number again and I'll give you a call.

I have the same problem I have read about in other threads, but can't figure out exactly what to do.

I have sound to all four speakers with the radio on, but with the CD player only the front, something to do with the antenna? speaker amps in the back?

I have one wire on the kenwood harness that doesn't have anywhere to connect it. It is blue and white, and says "P control" there isn't another wire on the Car harness to attach it to.

Thanks
Jay
Hehehe

EZ FIX!

Blue - is your power antenna lead (only carries 12v when the radio is on and is typically used to raise the mast on a motorized antenna, when you hit 'CD' the voltage drops to zero)

Blue/white - is your amplifier turn on wire (always carries 12v when the deck is powered up

You have the blue wire from the deck hooked up to the amplifier's turn on wire. Hook the blue/white wire up where you currently have the blue hooked up.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:08 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys, I switch around here in an hour or so and report back...
Old 01-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Yup, that was the problem. All better now....now just have to wait for shipment of my 4 new speakers...2 pioneer 4 inch and 2 pioneer 5.25

Thanks a bunch everyone...again yotatech proves to be easily the best $10 I ever spent on my 4Runner.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:21 PM

have 91 4x4 ext cab truck, just replaced head unit and had same prob. thanks for all the help, had no idea rear speakers had factory amps on them until i read this, then it all made sense. new head had no blue remote(power to amp)wire for some reason, guess cuz its a cheap sony and had no sub-outs on it so they figured there wouldn't be an amp involved, but had power antenna wire(blue and white) so rear speakers only worked when listening to radio not cd. if this is your dilemma, maybe this will help.... i took the blue remote(amp) wire on the wiring harness, and spliced it with the 2 red power wires. they are all rated at 12v so... that way whenever the head unit is on the rear speakers get power and work this worked for me, hope it will help
Old 11-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Anyone know where the amp is located? Also if i bought a harness kit from wally world would this work with the factory amp? If not could you direct me to a harness i can use.
Thanks
Old 06-30-2021, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Hehehe

EZ FIX!

Blue - is your power antenna lead (only carries 12v when the radio is on and is typically used to raise the mast on a motorized antenna, when you hit 'CD' the voltage drops to zero)

Blue/white - is your amplifier turn on wire (always carries 12v when the deck is powered up

You have the blue wire from the deck hooked up to the amplifier's turn on wire. Hook the blue/white wire up where you currently have the blue hooked up.

i dont seem to have blue with white in my 97 runner ..but still no power to rear speakers