Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

I think my sub is blown? Pic inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my sub is blown? Pic inside

So I was driving the other day and I noticed my sub sounded like i had a box or bag in front of it because it was really blatty and bad sounding. So today I look at it and this is what I see:

It looks like the rubber has separated from the cone and is causing the blatting sound when it hits..Im not knowledgable at all when it comes to this stuff so, does anyone know if I can re-adhere the rubber to the cone or anything else to salvage my sub? Its pretty much useless to me as it is now.. fwiw its a 10" Alpine type-e
Old 03-20-2006, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah as long as your coil is good, you should be able to readhere.... lemme look for the stuff i used to use
Old 03-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Contributing Member

well i dont remember the specifics, but it was a silicone type stuff, not designed for speakers.... I would give Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant #66B a try, found at your local autoparts store. Mask off areas since silicone can leave strings... use sparingly, maybe dab a bit on spread with a flat stick of some sort (popsicle stick?) and figure out a way to keep weight on it for an hour or so... then let set for a while (24hr or so).
the stuff stinks bad (as does many silicone products) and can be irritating if using alot, but a little ventilation goes a long way, you're in texas, I'm in MI; its cold here
Old 03-20-2006, 04:33 PM

At least you got some chick to hold the rubber aside while you took the pic!

Seriously though, I used just some clear silicone to fix one of mine.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:37 AM
Contributing Member

I have a friend that just had the same thing happen to his Type R's
Seems like a design defect from alpine. yes yuo should be able to fix it though.
David
Old 03-21-2006, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
DO NOT USE SILICON!!!!!!!!

go get some 5 minute epoxy instead...

When silicon dries it produces a specific chemical gas that will attack and destroy foam surrounds. Secondarily its not a very good binding compound like CA glue is...

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-21-2006 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
DO NOT USE SILICON!!!!!!!!

go get some 5 minute epoxy instead...

When silicon dries it produces a specific chemical gas that will attack and destroy foam surrounds. Secondarily its not a very good binding compound like CA glue is...
When I bought my first pair of subs, I built my own boxes, my drill died on the last screw, so I had to screw it in by hand. Like the dumba$$ that I am I slipped and stabbed the screwdriver through the foam surround. I used some all purpose silicone sealant that my dad had around at the time. It has now been on there for 5 YEARS and has caused no problems for me and I listen to it too loud for my own good on a regular basis.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:59 AM
Contributing Member

the silicone i referenced claims to be compatible on rubber, i have used it on rubber numerous times for sealing lights and other things, epoxies dry too hard in most cases and will only cause further repairs, you can also use a weatherstrip repair adhesive if you would like to try that

ALPINE TYPE-E's ARE NOT FOAM, THEY ARE RUBBER

as he also states in his post

EDIT: Do not use straight silicone, use silicone ADHESIVE, there is a big difference in silicone products, which is why I was very specific in what I recommended

Last edited by wjwerdna; 03-21-2006 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

sorry to bash... but please don't confuse a thread asking for simple help with an unbacked statement, here is my backing. http://www.santoprene.com heres the link to the manufacturers site of Santoprene Rubber which is the material used in ALpine Type-E's along with several other surrounds and many household products, you can find that it is a material very similar to silicone rubber and is compatible if you dont believe me. The chemical name for Permatex Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant #66B is DIMETHYL POLYSILOXANE and it is a Acetoxy silicone rubber. Here is the product description sheet also outlining its acceptable uses http://ken-co.com/permatex/rtv-clear.pdf
Old 03-21-2006, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

I love you guys

Old 03-21-2006, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Old 03-21-2006, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by wjwerdna
the silicone i referenced claims to be compatible on rubber, i have used it on rubber numerous times for sealing lights and other things, epoxies dry too hard in most cases and will only cause further repairs, you can also use a weatherstrip repair adhesive if you would like to try that

ALPINE TYPE-E's ARE NOT FOAM, THEY ARE RUBBER

as he also states in his post

EDIT: Do not use straight silicone, use silicone ADHESIVE, there is a big difference in silicone products, which is why I was very specific in what I recommended
Yes I know they arent foam, and it doesnt matter, dont use the crap, period.

Use either CA glue or 5 minute epoxy. You NEED a VERY strong adhesive for the surround landing just like you do at the triple joint and spider landing. I've reconed my several dozen shares of some very badass subs and repaired ones with that exact problem. CA glue is the glue of choice period. If CA glue isnt on hand 5 minute epoxy was recommended by the MANUFACTURER of the subs i was reconing...

And to back MY statement http://mobile.jlaudio.com/support_pages.php?page_id=164 read sealing your boxes.

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 03-21-2006 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Intrepid
When I bought my first pair of subs, I built my own boxes, my drill died on the last screw, so I had to screw it in by hand. Like the dumba$$ that I am I slipped and stabbed the screwdriver through the foam surround. I used some all purpose silicone sealant that my dad had around at the time. It has now been on there for 5 YEARS and has caused no problems for me and I listen to it too loud for my own good on a regular basis.
Not the same case.

Silicon gels when they change from a viscous liquid to a amorphous solid, evolve actetic acid fumes which can and will attack conventional foam surrounds. These fumes are only evolved during the curing process. Because of the silicon's contact on the foam it prevented the fumes from contacting it. However if you put a fresh bead of silicon in the box to seal it then immediately toss your foam surrounded sub in there you are GOING to have issues....
Old 03-21-2006, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
Not the same case.

However if you put a fresh bead of silicon in the box to seal it then immediately toss your foam surrounded sub in there you are GOING to have issues....
Not to mention that horrid smell.
Old 03-21-2006, 06:36 PM
Contributing Member

either way, try what you want, the silicone thing on boxes is right for sure, use a ton of wood glue, why use silicone? you want the box as rigid as possible, if someone is sealing gaps with silicone, they have other construction issues ...

I stand by the fact that silicone adhesive will still work great on the speakers, and due to temperature variances, maybe a little vibration , will last longer than epoxy.

by CA glue... Im guessing you mean any type of cyanoacrylate??? aka superglue or crazy glue, or a specific, ordered variety??? I suppose that many speakers ARE put together with forms of this, and I have seen good and bad results.

Last edited by wjwerdna; 03-21-2006 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:53 PM

why dont yall all just use what our old folks use.. good ole duct tape.. my dad put some duct tape on my old 10'' sony sub.. he has a 1600 watt amp on it.. im not sure why but he blew it up straight through the center.. he put some duct tape over it and it has worked since.. this happened about a month ago..