Vehicle Audio & Home Entertainment Discussions here pertain to vehicle stereo systems and home entertainment systems

Amps, Amps, soooo many amps today....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amps, Amps, soooo many amps today....HELP!

Ok, I have got all the parts (save for wires and other little things) ordered/in for my new stero install. The only thing I lack is the AMP.

So I got a few questions.

1 ? I want to mount in under the front seat and I have the powered seats. Will that work? And if so does anyone know what the size limits are? It is hard to messure up under there. Or does anyone have a good recommendation for an amp that will fit there?

2 ? What brand should I get? I am not interested in the ?sony 2600watt hunk of junks? I want something that has some real quality and I don?t really care about power. As long as it can power my front 6.5 rockfords, rear 5.25 rockfords and can do 2 subs in the rear (they are not there yet but I want something that could do them?).

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:46 PM

Best for you would be to get a 4x50w rms at 4 ohm amp and a mono amp or 2 channel bridged for teh rears.
Let me know what speakers you have and what subs you plan on getting and i can show you an amp.
Also, why 2 12's? I have a single 12 that gets as loud and cleaner than most duals 12's i listen to. I'd rather have one quality sub which gets loud and sounds good rather than two cheaper subs that are just loud.
Let me know what you want exactly so we can help you out.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks so far!

Here is what I have so far and what I want out of the whole system:

I got a 6.5 rockford component for the front because I got a good deal and I wanted component.

5.25 rockfords non-component for the rear doors because they "match" the front

Alpine CDE-9881 deck. Got a good deal on it and I like alpine decks.

So that is what I have and here is what I want out of it.

I am not a bass hog. I want clear good sounding sound. Some bass is great and being able to turn it up is even better but for everyday use I want it clear over loud. My budget right now is just about out. I have about $150 for the amp(s) (yes I know that is way cheap, I don't need the best out, just something that will work and is as good as possible).

As for the subs/trunk speakers. I really don't have anything set in stone for those. And I didn?t say 2 12's, I just said I was looking at a dual setup of some sort. Why? Just because it would look cool and have a "balanced" look. I have a dual 8" box in the garage that I had considered getting some speakers for, for temporary use (my sub limit is about $100 right now.) I also have an older 12" sony hunk of junk sub that does work though. But it sucks.

So here is what I still need to get (be it now or when the funds are avilible...).

Amp(s) that can mount under the front power seats. They don't have to be the best but I don't want junk either. Best-bang-for-your-buck is what I am looking for. Price to spend on them: $150-200

Rear sub(s)/box. Here I really don't have any preference. I might wait on these for a few weeks so that I can have more for the amps. Just want something that will sound good and clear. Don't need massive bass.

Thanks!!
Old 05-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an Alpine 5 channel amp. It fits under my seat just fine, however, I do not have power seats. I have been told it is not the greatest Alpine amp ever made, but it suits my purpose. It drives my components real nice. I am actually not running a Sub on it. I have Focal 6.5 components front and rear, they have very good low end, so I decided to skip the Sub.

I paid less than $150 for this amp on sale, but that was a couple of years ago.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 05-04-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

That looks nice, i just messured as best i could under the powered seat. And if it is less than about 10" long it could be about 2 - 2.75 inches tall. But if it is longer than that it has to be shorter due to the seat motor. About 2" max.

There is some kind of hump near the door, did your have that as well? It looks like you might have put that amp down in the valley?
Old 05-04-2007, 08:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
That looks nice, i just messured as best i could under the powered seat. And if it is less than about 10" long it could be about 2 - 2.75 inches tall. But if it is longer than that it has to be shorter due to the seat motor. About 2" max.

There is some kind of hump near the door, did your have that as well? It looks like you might have put that amp down in the valley?
That amp is 9.5" X 11" X 1.75" and the 11" width just fits. There is a small hump by the door close to the front left of the amp, I don't know if that is what you are referring to; mine is right in the valley. I do not have the power seat motor of course. I have an Alpine CD changer, which is much bigger mounted under the passenger side. Though I am fixing (you should understand that term since you are from here) to remove it and put in an iPod interface (thus the changer won't work). You could almost put a VCR on that side!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

Nice, yeah that valley under the seat is what i was talking about. With the power seats the motor comes down right where the vally starts. so it gets a lot smaller real fast...

I also have a cd changer i will install that i forgot to mention. But that doesn't really affect the amps ect. I don't know where it will go though. It is a big 12 disc so passanger side seat is out. I might mount it to the rear fender well.

So that alpine is good? My biggest problem is finding something that will do what i want for the price that i need. and it be a name brand. I have found a few on ebay but most of them are off brands. i will need to check the clarance booth at the local audio stores and see what they have.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:09 PM

What do you consider off brand?

Oh yeah, what i would personally do if i were you, is put the speaker amp under the seat, and mount a sub amp on the subwoofer box, so you have much more room. Also, the most power you are going to get out of a 5 channel amp is 50x4 and 200x1.... dont expect much more than that. And you need more than 200 watts to run 2 subs.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Well by off brands I mean anything I have not heard about and are so cheap they must not be any good (unless you know different). Like I have seen a lot of pyramid, legacy and others like that which are dirt cheap and have almost no RMS. But they like to hide the RMS under a very big 2000 max lol.

I have found a few MTX and other brands for an ok price but since I need 2 amps they are still a little high.

I do like that idea of mounting the sub amp on the box. Only prob is I will be removing the subs for more storage sometimes. Are there quick connects you can put on the amp to make it easy to take out?

Really as for brand I don’t really care as long as it will work and is not junk.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:07 PM

well, i cant really vouch for 12's or nice big amps, or smaller speaker amps, but ive got one 10in sub hooked up to a 2-channel amp, and its great. a rockford fosgate p2 sub running off a dual amp. the amp was only 75 bucks at best buy(cheapest smallest) and the sub with box and wiring was under 150. great buy, and its way clean and can get some pretty good pounding in. the low low stuff distorts a little once u get it up high, but if ur playin music at a regular volume and have the right settings and such, it sounds great no matter what. i listen to a lot of rock and rap, as well as some of that sappy love song stuff and the boy bands, and everything sounds great. even country. lol. yea boi.

thats my version of quality cheap. i dont know where ur gonna find anything else for that cheap unless ur goin poor quality and ur gettin a deal on it.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, that is not to bad. I have a friend with just about the same setup

I buy most things off ebay (seeing as a make my living off ebay it kinda makes sense...). and if i wanted cheap i could get a dual 10" and amp set up for under a $100 shipped with box no less. But i want a little better than that.

So i think i will just use either the 12" i have and get a box or use the dual 8" box and get some subs (about the same $$). And spend more on the amps and get better subs later.
Old 05-05-2007, 01:24 PM

Buy My Jl 500/1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry, that is way outta my price range. nice amps though.
Old 05-05-2007, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
So that alpine is good?
It is not the best "Alpine" amp ever made, but it's a good amp...they just make several that are better (and much more expensive). I would say for the price it does a lot and is much better than most off brand amps that boast big, unrealistic numbers.

One just sold on Ebay for $58. Actually, check out this one... I think the V12 were supposed to be real nice amps...they have been going for < $150 on e-bay...

I like it because it is all in one package and has a real nice punch to it.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 05-05-2007 at 02:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, here are the amp i have found so far. I think i am leaning more tward a 5 channel instead of 2 amps for space reasons as well as $$.

Which one do you think would be best?

RMS on my door speakers is 60W BTW

Amp 1 : Looks like the best bang for your buck but don't know how good it is/is not.

Amp 2 : Looks like an ok amp. Not quite as much power on the door speakers as the first one. but more sub power.

Amp 3 : This is a brand name amp and looks to be the best one out of the ones i have found for my purpos. Just can't tell if the wattage is RMS or Max.

Amp 4 :cheapest amp. But if none of those are any good might as well get something cheap and then save for a better one.

Amp 5 Brand name amp that only has 25W RMS but it is a high quality amp. And could go for cheap.

Thanks!

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 05-05-2007 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

I would definitely bid on the last one! Though it may go up. See of you can snipe it at the end.

Most of those will not fit under the seat because they are 19.5" long, that is pretty big. The A/D/S is probably the best amp if it is in good shape, and might also be the smallest. I would think the Pyle would be the next best, as I am not a big fan of the Crunch amps. I have one that actually is in fine working order and I use it as a paper weight in my garage (it is way over rated). Not to push Alpine, but there are a couple of MRA-F350's that just went on ebay for under $150....another might come up...it seems like a nice amp, but the sub rating might be a little low for you. Of course you could always bridge two and run the front speakers off your head unit.

If looking at new amps you might check out woofersetc.com they have some good prices, but may be more than you want to spend.

Last edited by nieuwendyk-25; 05-05-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, i have pretty much given up on fitting it under the seat as nice as that would be. but all the 5 channels are just to big. 2 amps is not much better, i have the rear heater (yeah, i really need that in texas LOL) and that takes up the pass seat. so i would have to mount an amp in the back anyways. I was messuring and i think i can mount it on the fender panel fine and it be out of the way.

Yeah, i plan on sniping that last one. It just poped up when i was searching. but if it doesn't go through i will have to look at those other ones. So anybody else that has something to say about them say it quick!
Old 05-05-2007, 06:43 PM

well, infinity amps are really nice and can throw out some massive power, but they cost an arm a leg and a lexus, sooo...

on the mounting part, mount a board covered in felt or something on ur rear cab wall and screw the amp into that. thats how mines set up and it sits fine. it can get hot, but its got an alright flow of air with the windows down like they normally are.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, there are a lot of good amps out there. But price is a BIG issue right now as i just had the timing belt done and got a lot of other stuff (will post what she looks like when i finish putting them all on). So i am very limited in $$.

I like that mounting idea, that is about what i was thinking just without the board.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Well i was able to get teh A/S/D/ Amp for just over $100!

So that is now taken care of!

Now just need to figure out the sub(s)...

Thanks for all the help!

Quick Reply: Amps, Amps, soooo many amps today....HELP!