Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site

New here, comments...

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 04:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, comments...

Hey, Im fairly new here...

In the past I was the BC chapter Prez of www.fordtruckworld.com, and have been on www.fullsizebronco.com for a year or two...

Two comments I have are this:

I have noticed that every member is so quick to pull out the " go search more " card, that almost every post has to start with: " I did search for this " or the first member to post a reply will tell them to go search....

I posted in the offroad forum last week... I had read all the posts I could on the OEM lift... I started a new forum asking if the part #s I had were the most current ones to go with, because there had been losts of changes and such, and also a big difference In height between different coils... If I had not serched would have I had 4 toyota part #s??? I dunno... the only response I got was to go search more.... I thought this was a good post because it summed up 11 pages of ongoing forums....

I agree.... when people dont search its annoying, but there are older topics that are nice somtimes to get back going... if a topic was a year old, but was a really good mod forsay... there are probably many people who we not here a year ago... this mod will be "new" to the atleast....

Also too... lots of people live very busy lives... If you have a full time job, wife, kids, a home... you may not have a few hours to read a million posts to get the info you need... you may need to ask for help.... if sombody can answer your question in a matter of a minute then... well you get what Im after...

secondly... In the 96-02 runner section there is atleast 6-10 people asking 2nd gen runner questions on the first page that I looked through?? I pesonally dont care, but if it designed that people have to start posts with... "I searched" then why does no body care people put posts in the wrong section???

there is my input from some one new...

Happy new year to you all...
Bob
Old 12-31-2005, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I think there is a thread that covers this exact same type of feedback that you could have just added your comments to...but I guess you didn't search for it.

Just kidding.

I think you will find many folks here willing to provide you with answers when questions are asked in a concise manner that indicates you have done some searching to try and find your own answers.

As far as busy lives...join the freakin club.

Old 12-31-2005, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Meh... its not me with the busy life... well, Im busy dont get me wrong... but no kids atleast....

that was more an example.....

One of my hobbies has become researching... One of my first mods on my bronco ( last project ) was a cam... well, I trusted the guys at the performance shop I have dealt with... the guy picked me a carb cam not EFI... well a LOT of work later I ended up changing the engine and swapping a MAF sensor setup in rather than a MAP sensor setup that was in there.... If I had asked some questions and done some reading then that would have never happened....

I really like this site.... LOTS of good guys, but it seems a lot harder to pry info out of some of the people here... as I said, even if they know the answer to the question asked, they will take the same amount of time to tell you to search rather than give you the answer....

dunno.... just an obsevation from the newbie....

cheers
Bob
Old 12-31-2005, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Bob
Meh... its not me with the busy life... well, Im busy dont get me wrong... but no kids atleast....

that was more an example.....

One of my hobbies has become researching... One of my first mods on my bronco ( last project ) was a cam... well, I trusted the guys at the performance shop I have dealt with... the guy picked me a carb cam not EFI... well a LOT of work later I ended up changing the engine and swapping a MAF sensor setup in rather than a MAP sensor setup that was in there.... If I had asked some questions and done some reading then that would have never happened....

I really like this site.... LOTS of good guys, but it seems a lot harder to pry info out of some of the people here... as I said, even if they know the answer to the question asked, they will take the same amount of time to tell you to search rather than give you the answer....

dunno.... just an obsevation from the newbie....

cheers
Bob
I think you'll find Bob that the folks who actually know the answer will tell you if you ask them or know who to ask personally...sometimes answering the same question gets old after 1.2 gazillion times on another thread.

Many times folks who don't know will jsut tell you to search or spout off some other crap...all in stride though...you'll figure out who is who here if you pay attention.

Old 12-31-2005, 06:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
you'll figure out who is who here if you pay attention.

Who am I then wabbit? Hehe

Anywho, you got it pretty much summed it, it seems bad on the surface, but it keeps this board much cleaner.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Who am I then wabbit? Hehe

Anywho, you got it pretty much summed it, it seems bad on the surface, but it keeps this board much cleaner.
Polo?

Old 12-31-2005, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

I usually try and help the person find the thread that will help...if not I don't care to throw in some words of what little wisdom I have.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:02 PM

A little give and take on both sides

Being a newb myself, I understand what Bob is saying, but have also realized that the questions asked have usually been answered, but sometimes it is nice to see it in a different format, or at least answered in a way close to how the question was asked.

BTW - Since being a member, I have replaced out my 22RE, fixed codes 25 and 26, purchased sliders from Marlin, put in a new horn, CB and stereo, and will soon be putting on a roof rack, replacing the sagging springs, and hopefully many more things, without ever asking, but searching. (I am a total newb to the whole mechanical thing too, but thanks to YotaTech I am getting better.)

Old 01-07-2006, 04:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
back in the days when the forum was just starting, people often answered repetitive questions because the forum's knowledge base was not full. therefore, people were more receptive to answering the same questions but in a different format or in a different context.

today, the knowledge base is full on most of the major topics (i.e. lifts, sliders, etc) and that is why people are more reluctant to answer it. i'd say that 90% of the time someone is telling you to search is because it is just "one of those topics" that has been covered a billion times. and furthermore, rehashing it one more time creates yet another thread on the same topic---the very thing that you cite as a problem ("...you may not have a few hours to read a million posts to get the info you need...)

any forum of this size will have this as an on-going problem. my opinion is, if its important to you, you should make the time to research the hell out it. it might cost you a few hours of your time, but its alot better than making an unresearched/uninformed mistake that might end up costing you a few hundred more to fix. ive always said and i always see that it is 100% true that when its clear that a newb has searched and done their homework, they are rewarded w/ more information that might have slipped by or was not documented in any of the threads.

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 01-07-2006 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:55 PM

I have to Agree With Bob on this one (Bob_98sr5 that is).

If your willing to take the time to come here and ask and wait for help, you should be willing to take the time to research the hell out your topic.

Personally, if I am going to do something to my truck I come here and search and see if anyone else has done it and what they used and how they did it etc... I'm absolutely no where near as knowledgeable as some of the guys who post on here such as Wabbit, and bob and others. Its those guys I listen to when it comes to my truck, I'm fairly young and fairly green around the ears when it comes to Toyotas but I try hard and I'm willing to learn. Which is the type of approach you need to have when it comes to searching and wanting to find some good useful information.

Patience is also key, people posting 700 threads about the same thing is not going to get your answer any faster. Be patient and people will help you.

My $.02

Last edited by Yota4runner; 01-07-2006 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Personnally, I feel if you can't post anything to help the person posting the question, then you shouldn't post at all including telling someone to search. Telling someone to search is nothing more than padding your post count.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Paul H.
Personnally, I feel if you can't post anything to help the person posting the question, then you shouldn't post at all including telling someone to search. Telling someone to search is nothing more than padding your post count.
I think you need to research your opinion a little more and I'll gladly pad my post count to tell you so.

Old 01-13-2006, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

I think you need to research your opinion a little more and I'll gladly pad my post count to tell you so.

waskilly is always a smartass
Old 01-13-2006, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by callmej75
waskilly is always a smartass
Did you use the search button to form that opinion? How many hours did you search and how many posts did you look that back up such an accusation? I think you need to search some more and I'll continue to pad my post count.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Did you use the search button to form that opinion? How many hours did you search and how many posts did you look that back up such an accusation? I think you need to search some more and I'll continue to pad my post count.