Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site
View Poll Results: Staff being to strict about searching?
Not too strict at all, I have enjoyed the change.
26.79%
A little strict but necessary.
51.79%
Way too strict, just let them post!
19.64%
I'm already sick of it - I'm out of here!
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

**MEMBER POLL** Search Campaign

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
**MEMBER POLL** Search Campaign

We, the Staff, want to get the memberships opinion on our recent crackdown focused on members posting without searching, posting with ambiguous thread titles, posting in the wrong sections, etc...

Your response in here will not get deleted, edited, moved, talked down upon, etc...

Be honest with us as it is the membership that truly makes or breaks a site like this.

We greatly appreciate your input.

YotaTech Staff
Old 02-22-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
I think it's fine.

A good example is type in cobra 29. I was looking for pics of mounting options (a subject thats been covered multiple times). There were a bunch of threads that the first response was "search search search" and it got annoying to look through these, since there was a good thread about the same subject posted up the same week.

It's a good idea to get some of these compilation threads "a 22r/re exhaust video" threads would cut down on the numerous what do you run and what does it sound like questions that pop up constantly. I understand people get frustrated when their thread gets deleted. But I don't think started a new thread about getting butthurt is the answer. Either search, and if you don't find anything, word it better, get a good title on it, and post it again.

Good work mods!
Old 02-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Where's....
A little strict which may be necessary but since the search engine makes me want to throw monkey feces and I find it frustrating when I can't find something in search even using specific thread titles so I could find how it'd be uber frustrating to a complete newb maybe back off their case about 2 and a half hairs on the fresh faces and give 'em a chance to see for themselves.
?

Though I do appreciate cleaned up titles and stuff being in the right sections. Y'all do a great job, you know.

Last edited by habanero; 02-22-2010 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:20 PM

Hab's right about the search. If folks are bad spellers, or if you don't remember the EXACT title to pinpoint a thread, you can't find anything.

But for newb searches, they need to know that "22re header" will give them way more results then "what header will give the most horsepower"

Less words make for more info to read.
Old 02-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
You guys do a great job!

I'm not irritated when people get snippy with NONstaffers about stuff, I do find it HIGHLY aggravating when they DO go back and forth with a mod. Yeah, the search can be a little obnoxious, but really when you put in an entire sentence into it and not get back anything...
Old 02-22-2010, 05:55 PM

I guess I have mixed feelings about it,,, almost anything can be found here by searching, but, there are new members all the time,, If someone new has a question that has been asked before, sure it can be answered by searching, but one of the newer members might have something to add to it also. Hope that makes sense. I can't really see where they are cluttering the site up any more than a topic about something that has nothing to do with toyotas but yet have tons of pages,, just my thoughts,,,, I have gained tons of info here and if it is a thread I'm not interested in or I think has been covered before I don't click on it,,,, ,,, ,,,great site by the way,,,,,
Old 02-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I say keep at it. I got tired of seeing the same threads multiple times a week, so i stopped looking at most of the new ones.

And heres some advice on searching. Use google. Say im looking for 1st gen 4runner pics. Go to google and type in "1st gen 4runner pictures yotatech." It works for me most the time. But sometimes you have to try a couple different searches.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by toyoffroada
I can't really see where they are cluttering the site up any more than a topic about something that has nothing to do with toyotas but yet have tons of pages
Is this directed at our bumper thread?!
Old 02-22-2010, 06:50 PM

not directed toward any one thread,,, I really don't care what are in threads,,, just like tv. If I'm not interested in a show I dont watch it ,,, doesnt matter to me at all,,,,,I really don't want it to sound like I'm complaining here cause I'm not,,,I just didn't see where some one asking a question that has been asked before as a big deal,,,, I just move on,,,,,,anyway I better move on before I clutter this thread up,,,,, lol
Old 02-22-2010, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Did you bother to search before you started a new thread?

works wonders when searching

Old 02-22-2010, 07:30 PM

hmmm,,,,,, was that aimed at me wabbit,, I hope not, I have never asked a question here,,,, when I did my sas I read every thread in the sas section, several times I think,, did my homework and went from there,,,the same when I wanted a bumper and a roof rack,, never asked anyone,, just researched and went from there... you can tell by my post count I don't talk much. sounds like I should have kept quiet this time.....anyway, Hope I didn't upset anyone. Was just giveing my point of view like I thought 4x4Fink wanted
Old 02-22-2010, 07:34 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
YOU HAVE UPSET ME!!!

ok, not really. The members like you who actually search and do the work, end up with nicely modified rigs and answers to all their questions. And we don't have to yell at them either

Btw, I am changing my vote to "Thats it, im out of here" just to even the odds
Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 PM

Toy, I did the same thing when looking up regearing.

But in the course of all this, you end becoming freinds with folks, thats why the pages of off topic stuff. Its a fun place to hang out, shoot the breeze, make fun of each other, change peoples thread titles to say "purse swap" that sort of thing.

I went to one Toy run, met the guys, and everyone was pretty cool. Now we meet up alot more then I ever would have thought. Don't know if you have other members near you, or if we have a very different situation in Washington.

Pretty sure you haven't pissed off anyone with your posts, except maybe DC
Old 02-22-2010, 08:19 PM

Kiyo,,, thanks,, I didn't mean that the threads like that bother me,, I meant that someone asking something that has been asked before doesn't bother me,,, there might be someone new that has a different answer or outlook on it than when it was answered months ago,,,,, thats all,,,,, I read it all, gives me something to do at night.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

the other day some guy asked where the ipod plug in was on his 3rd gen 4runner's stock stereo.

EPIC FAIL
Old 02-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't like all the options. I think it's too strictly enforced, but somewhat necessary. The search button works just fine for me everytime, you just have to read through a bunch of crap. That doesn't bother me, in fact, I like reading through all the other keyword relevant threads on my way to the info I'm looking for.

Also, I think/hope people know that deleting new threads about already discussed topics is not necessarily a good thing. If we have to keep bumping threads from 2004 to get the answers we need, I think that's counter productive. Many of the old threads are a goldmine of great info, but times change, and some information may be incorrect. I know this is just an extremely small portion of the thread volume that is asked over and over, but it is still a pain to deal with.

I'm glad there is a thread to post some input about this finally, because while I feel it would be nice to weed out some of the worthless threads (IE the Top Gear Video, what size tires can I fit without a lift, etc), I don't feel that a complete overhaul of the threads on here is necessary. I find it a bit like road construction(inconvenient, but hopefully temporary)....with the key difference that there are actually people working here.

The mods do an excellent job keeping things clean and respectable around here. Keep up the good work on that front, and continue to push for "search button awareness". I'm pretty sure most of us know how to use it by now.

Also, just for perspective, if anyone thinks the search irrelevance here is bad, try searching for Toyota 4Runner on craigslist, and see how much non toyota 4runner stuff comes up.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:56 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
We appreciate the feedback here.
And...our search engine was revamped a few weeks back, and I know for a fact it works way better than before.

I can now find threads I have read before with one simple keyword, and it is usually near the top of the returned results list.

As for the deletion of so many threads, some of the threads that have gotten deleted have answers in them just a few threads down.
I see this happen on other forums too where someone will start a brand new thread and the topic was already covered and less than half a page down in the same section.

That clearly states laziness to me, then you end up with a ton of threads on the same topic.
I see this happen all the time on another forum I read daily.
I will even post in the new thread a link to the other thread that is already covering it.
But then the new thread gets a ton of responses, and you feel like punching your monitor

And I also agree some stuff here does help to have in new threads, as stated earlier in this thread some old info is well, just old and may not pertain anymore.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

I'd say the staff is doing a great job as usual. The more work they do, the better this site becomes.

I like that certain groups have taken it upon themselves to keep the chitchat consolidated into one or two threads. The 'Bumper' guys, the 'Reposters', the Oil Cappers, etc. Also, I appreciate the users who take the time to write a thought out, detailed, and photographed tech thread that is useful to noobs and vets alike.

We can all contribute in our own ways, for the better of YT.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I think deletion of ambiguous thread titles should be enforced more than "reposted" questions.

The search button is great and all, but vague....when searching some things like "hi steer", "hi" is to small of a word so searching through EVERY thread that has the word "steer" in it is discouraging.

Plus the deleting of the usless threads I post in...is lowering my post count!

Other than that....

Last edited by 4banginRunner; 02-23-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:10 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
if ruski man can make the search.. so make you! is easy like piroshky! make input "key word" in box. Box make yota tech magic and you have find answer! Is make wodka my boil when read thread and remember i read same thing ten minute ago! This moon i drink to you comrad moderators! NAH ZDAROVYA!

Quick Reply: **MEMBER POLL** Search Campaign