Site Feedback Please use this forum to provide feedback, suggestions on the site
View Poll Results: Staff being to strict about searching?
Not too strict at all, I have enjoyed the change.
26.79%
A little strict but necessary.
51.79%
Way too strict, just let them post!
19.64%
I'm already sick of it - I'm out of here!
1.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

**MEMBER POLL** Search Campaign

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 04:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by toyoffroada
hmmm,,,,,, was that aimed at me wabbit,, I hope not, I have never asked a question here,,,, when I did my sas I read every thread in the sas section, several times I think,, did my homework and went from there,,,the same when I wanted a bumper and a roof rack,, never asked anyone,, just researched and went from there... you can tell by my post count I don't talk much. sounds like I should have kept quiet this time.....anyway, Hope I didn't upset anyone. Was just giveing my point of view like I thought 4x4Fink wanted
Please unbunch your undies. Unlike some folks here if I was aiming at you, you would know it as it would be blatantly obvious, as I would have quoted your comment like now. Since I did not quote you previously, my comment was not directed at you, but rather a verbage wedgie aimed at the OP.

I am glad you search and do your own homework. I am a firm believer in learning on my own with subtle guidance. I answer countless questions here daily and dozens more via email and PM. I don't mind questions, but it is usually very easy to tell who has bothered to do anything for themselves and who wants it in a spoon.

Vita sine litteris mors est.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
As a new mwember I am finding it very hard to find the info I am looking for. I read on this forum for several hours looking for info on my timing chain replacement. I found several links & write ups that where very helpful, however I still have a couple of un ansewerd questions. I think that I could spend another couple hours searching for something that somsbody else could tell me in 1 minute, 1 sentence. I am not trying to be lazy, I just want to get started turning the wrenches. By the time I am done with this job I will prob. have just as much if not more time in reasearch than actually doing the work.

BTW, if anyone could pm me a link or something I want to know if it would be easier to pull my enginge than my front diff to clean out the oil pan on my 22re. Sorry I know
Old 02-23-2010, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts

I just spent a couple of weeks doing some research on a project and finally went to a few different forums and pages to find at least most of the more technical information I was looking for rather than start a new thread for fear the info's in here somewhere. I don't want to come off as complaining, just saying. I was able to get some good ideas from here too, just needed a tad more info than I could find.
I will agree though, Corey, search has gotten better.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by yotarob2005
BTW, if anyone could pm me a link or something I want to know if it would be easier to pull my enginge than my front diff to clean out the oil pan on my 22re. Sorry I know
Your question is one that doesn't have a solid answer, hence why searching doesn't really net any info. Most people just opt to DO the work rather than spend days asking how easy or hard things are. The job is IMPOSSIBLE if you won't go out and do the work.

This is where our frustration levels go through the roof. For some people its easier to pull the engine, for others to pull the diff. Everyone has a different opinion. Just go out and do the work, then create a writeup for it!
Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i like the search campaign...Yes YOtatech is a great place to find info and more tolerable than other forums but we have a newbie tech folder for the questions that get answered all the time.
I know I report a ton of threads all the time, probably annoys the mods but I truly appreciate all the work that they do--voluntarily as in UNPAID.

I feel adequate notice has been given through the agreement that everyone checks the block to when they join and IMO you have to be blind not to see the sticky's in every folder. Pretty clear that thread titles like "81 toyota' are worthless-

IMO delete away...they can always try Pirate, It's tuesday
Old 02-23-2010, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about creating a good, well-rounded FAQ for each section (i.e.86-95 Trucks & 4Runners etc.)? IH8MUD has one of the most interactive and helpful FAQs (80 Series FAQ) that I've seen and it really cuts down on the unecessary threads.

I know that it would take a lot of work to create and compile but I think it would be much more effective than just telling people to search. I'm all for searching, but a properly organized FAQ would be SO helpful.

My $.02. Keep up the good work!
Old 02-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
You mean like the sticky about gears that got put together, and the subsequent 2 threads in 3 days that asked about gears?

I agree with you, but even when things are right there people don't catch it.

How many times have you ACTUALLY read the whole page before hitting the "I agree" button? I'm guilty of skipping it, too.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
As a new mwember I am finding it very hard to find the info I am looking for. I read on this forum for several hours looking for info on my timing chain replacement. I found several links & write ups that where very helpful, however I still have a couple of un ansewerd questions. I think that I could spend another couple hours searching for something that somsbody else could tell me in 1 minute, 1 sentence. I am not trying to be lazy, I just want to get started turning the wrenches. By the time I am done with this job I will prob. have just as much if not more time in reasearch than actually doing the work.

Put on a 4" bracket lift? lol

Seriously though, there is a BUTTload of info on here and OTHER sites as well. If you can't seem to get it to work here, hit up other Yota sites? Hell, I've probably used 4Crawlers(shameless plug) site or 4x4wire MORE than here...but I've spread out what I've found and went on my way. Like DC said, people have different ways of doin things for the same procedures.

Some people use and axle nut socket, some use the chizzle my dizzle method...
Old 02-23-2010, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by kiyobrown
You mean like the sticky about gears that got put together, and the subsequent 2 threads in 3 days that asked about gears?

I agree with you, but even when things are right there people don't catch it.

How many times have you ACTUALLY read the whole page before hitting the "I agree" button? I'm guilty of skipping it, too.
The trick is to handle those new threads appropriately:

-Do not answer the question and refer them to the FAQ if it's answered there.
-Delete the threads and pm the poster that their answer is in the FAQ.
-Allow and encourage people to add to the FAQ threads. This allows for a more centralized area for information. This may create more work for Admin as all off-topic posts would need to be deleted.

All I know is that the FAQ is so good on Mud that it's hard not to use it. We definitely have the people who can't read that still start the unnecessary threads, but they're cleaned up pretty quick.

Last edited by Ardent; 02-23-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
It would be great to have em. It just takes ANY person the time and effort to put one together.

You have some good ideas there, maybe we need to start making the threads that will turn into stickys and maybe even into an FAQ section.

Some people still ask, how do I get to the stickys?
Old 02-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is an example in my 4Runner buildup thread, down at the bottom I have extera as a tag word. Why? No where in my thread does it mention extera. That I could see people being angry with. And yes it gets annoying people telling me to search and then I prove I know what I'm saying and they quite it up real fast. But I like it how it is and enjoy using the site daily.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ardent
What about creating a good, well-rounded FAQ for each section (i.e.86-95 Trucks & 4Runners etc.)? IH8MUD has one of the most interactive and helpful FAQs (80 Series FAQ) that I've seen and it really cuts down on the unecessary threads.

I know that it would take a lot of work to create and compile but I think it would be much more effective than just telling people to search. I'm all for searching, but a properly organized FAQ would be SO helpful.

My $.02. Keep up the good work!
This is one of the many thing we are working on in the background.
Keep in mind, the Staff have our own private section of the forum that we are always posting new threads in with ideas, suggestions, things we have seen on other sites, etc...

The feedback in here is great and very helpful - thanks for being honest.
Anytime a staff member posts a thread for feedback you should feel free to be as bluntly honest as you want to be.

Keep the votes coming, we appreciate them!

Fink
Old 02-23-2010, 03:55 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I think it should have been handled different. Maybe an email telling the poster their thread got deleted and why . Then they wouldve know and wouldnt have posted "wheres my thread" or corey wouldnt have had to make a thread about it.

as long as there are new members its going to happen.

Cant the threads be screened , i know are emails are edited , cant the same be done with the thread titles.

People post in old threads and someone else tells them "Hey what are you doing this is and old thread."

They post a new one and some else tells them dude theres and old thread ..

All I know is this is not and easy fix!!

Good Luck !!!
Old 02-23-2010, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RMA
I think it should have been handled different. Maybe an email telling the poster their thread got deleted and why . Then they wouldve know and wouldnt have posted "wheres my thread" or corey wouldnt have had to make a thread about it.

as long as there are new members its going to happen.

Cant the threads be screened , i know are emails are edited , cant the same be done with the thread titles.

People post in old threads and someone else tells them "Hey what are you doing this is and old thread."

They post a new one and some else tells them dude theres and old thread ..

All I know is this is not and easy fix!!

Good Luck !!!
Yes, a PM should be sent with every thread deletion however there are times when we just simply don't have the time.
We each deal with hundreds of threads/posts in a day, it can get a little overwhelming - not to mention we all have very demanding full-time jobs outside of the forum.

You are right, it is not an easy fix but we will make it work, we (membership) always do.

Fink
Old 02-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by RMA
All threads can be screen here 100%, but we do not have time.
That would be a nightmare, even for 1K moderators.
What do you mean the emails are edited?
Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
We each deal with hundreds of threads/posts in a day, it can get a little overwhelming - not to mention we all have very demanding full-time jobs outside of the forum.
Sometimes I think by the emails I get that some think that this is our work, and we work for YotaTech 100% of the time and are getting a salary from it.

This is all volunteer work here.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
wait dont get me wrong its understandable that with the moderaters we have now everything that can be done , really cant .
I know all you guys have lives outside of yotatech, and didnt mean you guys physically screen threads .

I have sent a few emails with bad words in them like the F word or Holy S*** word , but when i check the sent folder and read what i just sent those words are missing (Edited).

However thats done maybe can be applied to the titles .

This site is really growing fast I think , I know everybody I see with a toyota I tell them to check out Yotatech.

Maybe the ratio of mods to members is off, maybe its time to add a few more mods to help you guys out..
Old 02-23-2010, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RMA
wait dont get me wrong its understandable that with the moderaters we have now everything that can be done , really cant .
I know all you guys have lives outside of yotatech, and didnt mean you guys physically screen threads .

I have sent a few emails with bad words in them like the F word or Holy S*** word , but when i check the sent folder and read what i just sent those words are missing (Edited).

However thats done maybe can be applied to the titles .

This site is really growing fast I think , I know everybody I see with a toyota I tell them to check out Yotatech.

Maybe the ratio of mods to members is off, maybe its time to add a few more mods to help you guys out..
That's just the censor...I don't believe there is anyway to have that apply to fixing thread titles but I definitely could be wrong.

Hell, if I was getting paid a salary for being a moderator I'd be on here ALL the time!

Fink
Old 02-23-2010, 05:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Your question is one that doesn't have a solid answer, hence why searching doesn't really net any info. Most people just opt to DO the work rather than spend days asking how easy or hard things are. The job is IMPOSSIBLE if you won't go out and do the work.

This is where our frustration levels go through the roof. For some people its easier to pull the engine, for others to pull the diff. Everyone has a different opinion. Just go out and do the work, then create a writeup for it!
I hate to think that my question is sending your frustration level through he roof, it was not my intention. However you did answer my question & I appreciate that. You also solidified my point, that a simple sentence could have saved me hours of searching. I am by no means afraid to go out & just do the work, I just don't want to do more work than I need to, or go about it the wrong way. I will be keeping up with my progress in my build thread if anyone is interested, thanks again.

https://www.yotatech.com/f191/yotaro...-build-204726/
Old 02-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I hate to think that my question is sending your frustration level through he roof, it was not my intention. However you did answer my question & I appreciate that. You also solidified my point, that a simple sentence could have saved me hours of searching. I am by no means afraid to go out & just do the work, I just don't want to do more work than I need to, or go about it the wrong way. I will be keeping up with my progress in my build thread if anyone is interested, thanks again.

https://www.yotatech.com/f191/yotaro...-build-204726/
I heard something on the radio that I think can relate to this situation.

A locust is known for have a voracious appetite. One by itself is not enough to cause a stir, and a farmer could handle it quite well.

However, a SWARM of locusts is a deadly force, consuming up to 20,000 tons of food a DAY. Think of new threads like locusts. Sure, if there were only one new thread a day it would be simple to spoon feed each member all the info they want. But there are HUNDREDS of new threads a day, and hundreds of posts a day. So it makes it very difficult to see every single thread, and answer every single post.

When a question has been answered several times before, it is taking up space for a question that hasn't been answered before, or has some new tech in it. Members multiply this problem with titles such as "Help" or "Truck Problem" or "Won't start" or "what tires".

Yotatech has always been labeled as a soft beginner site, and for many years we have allowed such newbish threads and questions to be reposted over and over and over. Hell, we had the Top Gear video reposted 10 times before we created the sticky. We are trying to clean things up and make it easier for people to navigate, and use the search feature to find their answers.

It is a long, arduous process given that it has been loose and sloppy for so long. As with any major effective changes, it will take time and help from the members. Sure a few members will get butthurt and cry about their deleted threads, but every one of those so far have been members who want the info spoon fed to them, and want all the easy answers. If Yotatech and the 4x4 community in general is to continue to thrive, we need senior members and junior members alike to work together, and LEARN the information instead of having the answer instantly at their fingertips. Remember, when you are in the mountains your computer isn't usually with you

Cheers!

P.S. I am not frustrated with any one person, nor really frusrated at all. Keep up on your build thread, and show us what you are learning!

Last edited by DeathCougar; 02-23-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Quick Reply: **MEMBER POLL** Search Campaign