The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Upndair's rig--- new powerplant..

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think we're going to try to reuse the Toy A/C.
Old 01-09-2005, 08:37 PM

I am going to try and use the stock a/c compressor, but, we will have to see. As its looking now, custom lines will need to be made due to the location where the compressor will have to go....
Old 01-09-2005, 10:03 PM

Any pics or updates from today?
Old 01-10-2005, 07:40 PM

Its been slow going, didn't spend any time on it on sunday due to family stuff. But it is going forwards, and actually welding the motor mounts in place and then some fine tuning on sheet metal....
Old 01-10-2005, 10:06 PM

After a few times of yanking the motor, I finally found right where I wanted it.

The 205 is a tight fit, and will have to re-work the coolant lines for the rear heater, it will all fit. Another issue I might have, the horseshoe x-member will probably need to be notched for the drivehsaft to clear.

So now that I have the motor in perfect placement, the risers for the engine mounts are tached into place and it was time to pull the motor one last time (hopefully)

Old 01-10-2005, 10:15 PM

And here is how the finished product looks. One thing I have found, to run the riser to the top edge of the frame and then gusset it to help dispurse the load against the frame. I haven't had a single failure and one rig I did, the owner loves the skinny pedal Also, if you look, the motor is 3/4" to the drivers side, to help with clearance of the front driveshaft to trany pan. Granted, due to the fact the front 60's center section is inboarded about 1.5" from the stock spring perch, I have a feeling there will be a clearnace issue, but there is nothing that can be done except restrict compression of the suspension.

I also found a lil more firewall work was in need. The right middle area was needed to help clear the right hand rear corner of the valve cover.

And the fireawall also needed more work where the distributor sits. For those of you running a stock tbi setup with the stock distributor won't have this issue as its small.

So tommorow night I will get the motor dropped back in, and will have to work a little on the front edge of where the tunnel meets the firwall (just the drivers side)...
Old 01-11-2005, 06:30 AM

[QUOTE=crash]Also, if you look, the motor is 3/4" to the drivers side, to help with clearance of the front driveshaft to trany pan. Granted, due to the fact the front 60's center section is inboarded about 1.5" from the stock spring perch, I have a feeling there will be a clearnace issue, but there is nothing that can be done except restrict compression of the suspension.
[QUOTE]

There may be another option here, other than limiting compression, and that's a thinner front driveline. We could go with a front driveline like S&N build using axle shafts. They're a good 2" thinner than the current driveline.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:20 PM

Once again, amazing work by Crash.

Impressively done.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:03 PM

[QUOTE=upndair][QUOTE=crash]Also, if you look, the motor is 3/4" to the drivers side, to help with clearance of the front driveshaft to trany pan. Granted, due to the fact the front 60's center section is inboarded about 1.5" from the stock spring perch, I have a feeling there will be a clearnace issue, but there is nothing that can be done except restrict compression of the suspension.

There may be another option here, other than limiting compression, and that's a thinner front driveline. We could go with a front driveline like S&N build using axle shafts. They're a good 2" thinner than the current driveline.
A smaller diameter will help, but, its not going to stop it from hitting unfortunately due to where the pinion sits ( I may be wrong though)

Thanks King, so far its going good..
Old 01-12-2005, 12:01 AM

Can the output be rotated down a little, or would that not help? The doubler looks like it could be redrilled to move front output down and inch or two. I know the pics can be deceiving, but it looks like the output may go beside the tranny pan??
The center section wasn't inboarded (I don't think.). The right side spring perch is in the factory location. Are you saying the the center section is moved closer to the center line compared to where it would have been prior to being shortened and retubed?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by upndair
Can the output be rotated down a little, or would that not help? The doubler looks like it could be redrilled to move front output down and inch or two. I know the pics can be deceiving, but it looks like the output may go beside the tranny pan??
The center section wasn't inboarded (I don't think.). The right side spring perch is in the factory location. Are you saying the the center section is moved closer to the center line compared to where it would have been prior to being shortened and retubed?
Your 205 will sit low enough as is, and lowering it will just make the belly lower. As it progress's, you will see the front driveshaft goes below the tranny pan. I will try to get a pic of the front and how the spring sits to the center section. The spring is outboarded from the stock spring perch (the long side too short and the the short side too long). With how the 205 adapter is made, you won't be able to re-drill/rotate the 205 anyways..
Old 01-12-2005, 07:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man I feel like I need a smoke after reading this.

Clean install, good parts, just sad to see a Toyota turn into a Jeep so quickly. I suppose though even a 4.7 and built Toy axles would not hold up to 40's on a full bodied rig.

You have one of my favorite 2nd Gen Runners Gibby. Looks like it will turn out slick.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Man I feel like I need a smoke after reading this.

Clean install, good parts, just sad to see a Toyota turn into a Jeep so quickly. I suppose though even a 4.7 and built Toy axles would not hold up to 40's on a full bodied rig.

You have one of my favorite 2nd Gen Runners Gibby. Looks like it will turn out slick.
Its not turning into a jeep, its turning into a Chevy

Work looks awesome Crash, cant wait to see this done. It is definately one sweet Runner, one of my favorite full-bodied rigs.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:17 PM

Heck, I am just getting fired up

Ok, and now the motor is finally in for good. I set the motor up to tdc #1, and was able to sneak the distributor in (tight fit)

And here is the AA radiator. It doesn't look like a bad unit. There are no holes in it, so I was able to put it where I wanted and drill to use the stock holes, worked out pretty sweet. This version also has a tranny cooler built in on the bottom tank. One thing that I was hoping to do, use the stock res tank, but as you can see, its now in the way for the upper heater hose.

So, now that is in, its time to get them pesky headers in..

Old 01-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Contributing Member

hey crash what brand of headers are those or did you or someone else fab them?
Old 01-13-2005, 07:13 AM

They are ceramic coated block hugger headers that I picked up on Ebay. Ebay really is a great place to pick up stuff! They are not a specific conversion header.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:55 AM

man that is looking sick!

what happens next? mogs?

oh and are you going to go on the wattora 3 day camping trip in aug?

wade
Old 01-13-2005, 07:26 PM

Hey guys, visiting from my jeep world. Gibby is my neighbor....

Crash, awesome work as always, I'm glad Dale took it to you! I probably could have handled it, but not nearly as nice or efficiently as you. So.... are you gonna handle the part about getting it through emissions or is that still gonna be on me? Hehehehe

John
Old 01-13-2005, 07:36 PM

That's on you John!!!!! They guy I bought the motor from was able get it to pass on his rig. The biggest question I have right now is the legal way to do exhaust. I want to run a full dual exhaust. I'm pretty sure that I'll have to install cats but not sure if a dual exhaust is legal (for the smog guys) if it didn't come with dual exhaust. Or is that only if it doesn't pass?

I have a year and a half till I have to test again. It may end up with a TBI conversion if we're running into trouble getting it to meet the required levels.

I was talking with John about the conversion cause he was local and his garage is wanting to get more and more into the custom work on 4x4s.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:45 PM

IF we can get it to pass the sniffer test, it doesn't matter WHAT is under the hood or in the exhaust. If the other guy got it to pass without cat's, we should be able to as well. As long as the cam is not HUGE, it should be doable. We'll get it handled once it's up and running

John

Quick Reply: Upndair's rig--- new powerplant..