The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Trail Gear Bumper/ Trailer Hitch Fab

Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trail Gear Bumper/ Trailer Hitch Fab

So I currently have a TG Bumper on the rear of my 92' Runner. I am looking for options for also running a hitch. I never test fitted any trailer hitches yet but I assume that the bumper takes up the spot where the hitch would mount. There seems to be a couple different styles out there; the Draw-Tite setup looks pretty good. If someone could shed on light on if the bumper and hitches have the same mounting spots or not. If they do then I am stuck on figuring out the strongest way I could make them a combo and fab them together. Now I know and I heard people hauling with their TG bumper's but I personally do not want to take my chances especially if I decide to pull a little extra weight. Not sure if this has been or not yet, I looked high and low all over the net. So if everyone can get their crystal ball from the dry cleaners and hopefully help me to get an answer it would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03-27-2013, 12:21 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Pretty simple while they share some of the same mounting points .

You use two sets of brackets one for the bumper

one for the receiver hitch

Since the hitch is the more important most often those brackets are inside of the bumper brackets since most aftermarket hitches are added after the fact.

I always have new hardware as the old rusted on stuff most often gets cutoff.

Just get under there and look figure out what will work best in your case most receiver hitches will end up under the bumper but a hard call to make without being up close and in person.

If you have more questions drop me a pm
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 AM

Red face

It all comes down to just what you want to attach to this hitch.

I have used the bolt /weld on receiver mounts for a step bumper .

Just get a flat plate attach by what ever means to the trail gear bumper

I have a 92 4runner with a receiver hitch and the stock bumper attached if your still a little befuddled
Old 04-08-2013, 12:44 PM

Red face

Just curious how your making out.

I just ran across a oddball one

Where they made plates that mounted to where the bumper bolts attached dropped them down and mounted the receiver to that
Old 10-02-2014, 09:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
little bit of a late reply hahaha. But I still haven't accomplished anything yet. I did check out a couple 4Runners that came into the shop I work at and they had on a hitch that may work. It doesnt look like the mounting brackets would run into each other. see with the trail gear bumper the mounting brackets slide into the frame rail. this draw tite hitch goes on the outside of the frame rails. i would like to test fit one i think thats the only way i will ever know. http://www.draw-tite.com/fit-guides/all-in-one-selector. I would need it in the future for pulling a small camper or a boat.