The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

New Beadlocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bruce,
what size MT/Rs do you plan on going with?

oh and of course i must say those beadlocks are soooooo sweet!

-Casey
Old 02-22-2004, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Hey casey, I see you have my rig in the background of your avatar

I'll give you a little clue on the tires that I will run, they are gonna be the same one's Feartoy has been running in his rig

315/75-16 goodyear MT/R for the trail and my 265/75-16 BFG AT for DD. If my mileage happens to go back up with the larger tires then I'll get some larger AT's for the street as well.
Old 02-22-2004, 03:46 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by BruceTS
Hey casey, I see you have my rig in the background of your avatar

I'll give you a little clue on the tires that I will run, they are gonna be the same one's Feartoy has been running in his rig

315/75-16 goodyear MT/R for the trail and my 265/75-16 BFG AT for DD. If my mileage happens to go back up with the larger tires then I'll get some larger AT's for the street as well.
yep, i could have chosen from other pics, but i figured i would give ya a bit more exposure

ahh, the 315s will be a nice touch, they should fit in there nicely with the new body lift too.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:16 PM

Actually it was hand welded

What kind of welding would one use for that? Or what type did they use? I'm taking a welding class, and it's starting to interest me a lot.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by tenfourtyeight

What kind of welding would one use for that? Or what type did they use? I'm taking a welding class, and it's starting to interest me a lot.
see the tig gun hanging on the table,
Old 03-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Got my tires today.....Thanks to FearToy

Last edited by BruceTS; 06-02-2007 at 06:15 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by runnerboy97
see the tig gun hanging on the table,
The pedal on the ground is a dead giveaway too...
Old 03-05-2004, 01:59 AM
Contributing Member

With all the fake beadlocks that are out on the market now, most police won't even know these are real one's. They'll think it's just another "bling bling" thing.
First of all, that is way cool! Second, I am sure this has been covered in the past, but exactly why are true beadlocks illegal on the street?
Old 03-05-2004, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
First of all, that is way cool! Second, I am sure this has been covered in the past, but exactly why are true beadlocks illegal on the street?
The bolts can come loose.

When running them it is important to check that they are torqued properly very frequently...
Old 03-05-2004, 11:58 AM

I believe they are legal in AZ.

I've seen quite a few of JEEPS running beadlocks.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice wheels.

Beadlocks are not DOT legal in any state with the exception of one that is specifically stamped. There are a lot of theories about why it is so. People get ticketed because the wheels are not stamped, but the cops say nothing but, "They are illegal."

Someone here once said it was because you could take corners at 80 and cops could not follow. Too bad there is another inner bead that is not locked with the majority of beadlocks.
Old 03-05-2004, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
Nice wheels.

Beadlocks are not DOT legal in any state with the exception of one that is specifically stamped. There are a lot of theories about why it is so. People get ticketed because the wheels are not stamped, but the cops say nothing but, "They are illegal."

Someone here once said it was because you could take corners at 80 and cops could not follow. Too bad there is another inner bead that is not locked with the majority of beadlocks.
They are not legal in any state? Interesting.

I do recall reading in a particular site where this was DOT legal:

Old 03-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Nice wheels.
Too bad there is another inner bead that is not locked with the majority of beadlocks.
The inner bead very rarely comes loose if you run a narrow enough rim.....
Old 03-05-2004, 09:34 PM

Too bad there is another inner bead that is not locked with the majority of beadlocks.
keep in mind also that the majority of wheels have a safety bead on the inside. this ~1/4" tall rise keeps the inner bead from coming loose. that is why the majority of beadlocks only lock the outer bead, which most frequently comes loose.

if you run reversed rims, the safety bead is on the ouside, so beadlocks wont do you much good on those type, because you havent eliminated the weak link.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Hey Bruce,

Looks awesome! Its cool to see guys pushing the limits with the newer 3rd gen vehicles.

My impression is there are DOT-approved beadlocks that have gone through the appropriate testing/certification, but cost a bunch of $$$$.
Old 03-06-2004, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rarely, sure. The fact remains single, outer bead beadlocks do not make the tire impervious to losing a bead all together as I meant to insinuate by mentioning the previous post.

I also appreciate the truncation of my quote so as to take it out on context and use that opportunity to recite things that are obviously simple. "There is still the inner bead" was used with respect to "So you can take corners at 80 MPH."

Inner and outer beads of 15, 16 and 17 inch rims have a "safety bead" that 16.5" wheels do not. If that were good enough to keep the tire on in and of itself, then there would be no real nead for beadlocks.

As I said before, nice wheels. No need to pureposely create straw men to educate.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:22 AM

Hey Bruce, this is exactly what I'm looking for for my truck. I'm wanting to run 315's soon, and I was worried that my stock rims at 7" width was too narrow, but from what I've read here, yours went from 7" stock to 8"+, right? Also, I know 1-2 of my wheels are out of round a tad due to hitting big rocks. Will they still be able to do this for my wheels?

And, the final question is how much did it cost you?

Chris
Old 06-06-2004, 08:22 AM
Contributing Member

The cost was $165.00 each rim, if the rim isn't bent that bad they can true it back up.

I've been running these wheels on the street for 3 months now and none of the bolts ever came loose, even the beating they took at Hammers, they've held up much better than expected. Many times I've driven home from a short trip without ever airing up, to my surprise at 15 psi they handled 1000% better than my BFG AT's at 20 psi. The first time I noticed how well they handled aired down was at the San Deigo trip.

I have to say, the 315 MTR's haven't been a problem either, I've abused them quite a bit and fully expected to rebalance them after Johnson's Valley. They still ride smoother than my BFG's, only they are much louder. I had originally planned on swapping out my wheels and just use the MTR's for offroad, but now I'm gonna get my other set of rims done and probably run 315 Geolanders for the street.

I haven't gotten any negative feedback from anyone who has seen them, in fact a few of the Formula Toy rock crawlers owners, thought they'd be perfect for their rigs.

As for rubbing Issues, I had to cut the lower front portion of the SR5 fender flares off and they only rub under distortion, but ever so slight. On the front they clear the spindle by almost 1/2" and never rubbed against them. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/stock-rims-35-tires-28187/
I cut out a substaintial amount of the inner fender well to clear even when the wheels are turned. There are no rubbing issues at all up front anymore. I know Steve's wheels rub under compression, but he didn't cut out as much as me and is only running a 1" BL.

As for losing a bead, that wasn't my first concern when I originally decided to do this mod. Back in January I was out at Hammers and after chewing up my rims, I wanted more protection. Seeing how well the beadlocks worked is when I made up my mind. If I'm on the trail and shred a tire to the point where I can't patch it, riding on a flat is now an option. A few of the wheeler I've gone out with have had problems of spinning a tire on the rim, causing the tire to be out of balance, this to is no longer an issue.

As for legal issues, no police officer has even given me any problems, in fact a few were impressed with my build up. If I ever get hassled about them, my response will be; "They are only rim protectors" in which case I'm not lying. Beside I'll point out that they are factory rims......
Old 06-06-2004, 08:42 AM

Hey Steve, do you know of a company that would do this same thing but on a steel wheel?

Chris