The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

My Camping Trailer Project

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 05:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ive loved watching this thing build from practically nothing to where it is today. Mad wiring skills, Just watching this has made me want to build one.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
I also drilled a second set of holes so I can get the tongue length as short as possible, it’s only a few inches but it really changed how the trailer handles. I’ve only towed it around the block a couple time and it seems to corner, follow the truck better; but the trailer kind of feels squirrely, and I can feel the movement of the trailer transfer through the truck more than before. I’ll need to do some high speed testing before I can make up mind…
sway bar should help that. and it's easy enough to take on and off and adjust
Old 05-23-2012, 12:24 PM

The build is looking amazing! You're doing a great job of pacing yourself and getting everything done in order. I've been working a trailer project for about 10 months now, and it never seems like it's getting quite where I want it... yet.

Every time I see you make progress on this it gives me a little bump !

Keep up the great work
Old 05-25-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Gerdo
What an awesome build!
Thanks Gerdo!

Originally Posted by racerflea
Cool!!! I wouldnt want to transfer a full tank for fear of burning up the pump
Thanks! I don't plan on transferring a whole tank at a time, just 5 gallons or so.

Originally Posted by hiemsnox
Ive loved watching this thing build from practically nothing to where it is today. Mad wiring skills, Just watching this has made me want to build one.
Thanks man! It's been a long process, but it's SO close!

Originally Posted by irab88
sway bar should help that. and it's easy enough to take on and off and adjust
I really need to get it on the highway at speed, then decide what needs to be done. We'll see...

Originally Posted by 4biker
The build is looking amazing! You're doing a great job of pacing yourself and getting everything done in order. I've been working a trailer project for about 10 months now, and it never seems like it's getting quite where I want it... yet.

Every time I see you make progress on this it gives me a little bump !

Keep up the great work
Thanks man, it's crazy how much of a project these trailers turn into, I never thought it would take this much time! Good luck with your project!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:14 PM

man that trailer is sick you did one hell of a job
Old 05-29-2012, 05:19 PM

A couple more small things done...

The voltage gauge needed to be weatherproof so I used some silicone, then bed-liner over it. It should do the job.

I need to lock the tailgate when I'm not around the trailer. I was going to weld a couple u-hooks to the side of the trailer but then I came up with a better idea; I got a couple eye bolts, drilled through both sides of the mounting spots, and welded them on both sides.

I also painted the inside of the front bulkhead; I've been using white, silver, and grey to help reflect the light inside the trailer.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:38 PM

Looking good!!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:41 PM

Great work as usual. I like the use of a list on a clipboard! Without lists I would never get anything done lol!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:41 PM

Lookin real good. Almost ready for a maiden camping trip?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Simply Awesome...
Cant wait to see pics of this on the trail

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 06-01-2012 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Inappropriate picture removed
Old 06-01-2012, 10:11 AM

i would be more worried of someone taking the whole trailer rather than taking stuff from it haha
Old 06-03-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by racerflea
Looking good!!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by graduatedpine
Great work as usual. I like the use of a list on a clipboard! Without lists I would never get anything done lol!
Thanks, yeah I'm getting to the point where there are a bunch of little things that need to be done. Without the list I'll forget, but it seems like the more work I do the longer the list gets! I don't know how that works, but it's the truth

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Lookin real good. Almost ready for a maiden camping trip?
Soon, very soon. I need to wrap up a couple more things, then get it registered. I would like to take it out in the next couple weeks, it won't be 100% done but it will be close enough for a small shake down run. I'm sure there will be a couple things that need to be changed around, along with the stuff that needs to be completed. I would like to have most of that stuff taken care of before the CO Jambo in July.

Originally Posted by Doitzel_Kaiser
Simply Awesome...
Cant wait to see pics of this on the trail
Thanks man, me too!

Originally Posted by hiemsnox
i would be more worried of someone taking the whole trailer rather than taking stuff from it haha
Someone would be throughly disappointed when they looked inside the trailer, I don't have much "fancy" camping gear. The trailer and the RTT is really the only thing worth something but I still want to keep people from digging around in it. Between the removable tongue (with lock), and the HD cable or chain I plan on locking the trailer up with, it should be about as safe as you can make it. If someone REALLY wants it they will find a way. Locks only keep honest people from stealing, and a professional could take it if they want. The good thing is that it's one of a kind, a person would have to be stupid to try and use it or sell it complete.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sure thing on the 'stupid to try and use it or sell it as is', Dirtco.... BUT, couldn't hurt to have some serial numbers etched into it if they DID try, right? lol. You have to register it with the DMV or whatever it's called in CO?
Old 06-03-2012, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Sure thing on the 'stupid to try and use it or sell it as is', Dirtco.... BUT, couldn't hurt to have some serial numbers etched into it if they DID try, right? lol. You have to register it with the DMV or whatever it's called in CO?
In Colorado it has to be registered, so it will have it's own VIN tag. That's pretty easy to remove, but if something ever does happen to the trailer I'm contacting every local agency, and I'm plastering every forum, message board, and Craigslist with "Stolen" ads. This build thread alone has all the information someone could ask for; pictures, dates, etc. Trust me, it's full on WAR! But, let's hope I never have to deal with that.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
In Colorado it has to be registered, so it will have it's own VIN tag. That's pretty easy to remove, but if something ever does happen to the trailer I'm contacting every local agency, and I'm plastering every forum, message board, and Craigslist with "Stolen" ads. This build thread alone has all the information someone could ask for; pictures, dates, etc. Trust me, it's full on WAR! But, let's hope I never have to deal with that.
better lojack it or for a better personal approach. install a GPS tracker on it haha i know thats going to far. im sure you have it locked up when not used and when in used, will be with the runner. plus the way its hitched up is pretty unique
Old 06-03-2012, 02:59 PM

Post whore!
Old 06-14-2012, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
Post whore!
Coming from the guy that has double the posts I have!
Old 06-28-2012, 04:32 PM

I worked out some more details on the trailer.

First I worked on the rear door and some of the details I needed to wrap up. I made the support cables for the fold down table; I welded some tabs and picked up a couple turnbuckles, shielded wire rope and some large clips. The turnbuckles allow me to adjust the tension side to side. It's just held in place by the slide locks that keep the table in the up position when not in use. I also added a paper towel holder to the underside.

Next I installed a small single use fire extinguisher, I also have one in the truck but when you need it, you need it and the truck will not always be with the trailer.

I also installed the door prop, it's a small gas strut and it's held in place with wing nuts. It only takes a couple seconds to install it. I like the gas strut over a solid prop rod because if you bump into the door, or if need to move it, it has some give.

Old 06-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Freakin. Awesome.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:52 PM

I also got the stabilizer bars figured out.

I needed a way of stabilizing the trailer when at camp, without them the trailer moves around and collapses the suspension when entering the tent. I looked around at idea's until I finally found a system I liked. It needed to be quick, easy, and work on uneven ground. I decided to copy the principle behind the AT stabilizers but make it quicker and more heavy duty.

Theirs

And mine; there are tabs welded to the side of the frame and the arms come off for storage.

Quick Reply: My Camping Trailer Project