The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

My Camping Trailer Project

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is that a spare fuel tank? awesome
Old 05-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by racerflea
I am cincenced that u have to instal industrial electrical cabinets for a living!
Ha Ha, I just hate crappy/half-ass wiring jobs! It takes a long time to do it right, but at least I won't have to do it twice.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
.................. Good LORD that's amazing, bud! Very impressed! I know a guy named Ian who will surely LOVE that wiring job! lol. If I attempted that at this stage in my electrical training(hobby, not professional)>>> <<< that would be me! lol.

KILL IT, ...and bring it with some VIDEOS, with you wheeling up some craziness.. asap! lol
Thanks man! Don't worry, I'll get some pictures and video once I take it out. I still need to get it registered before i can really take it anywhere, that's been the only reason why I have not used it yet (or at least bounced it around on a couple trails).
Old 05-02-2012, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by paynemw
is that a spare fuel tank? awesome
Thanks! Yes, it's a spare tank with a transfer pump. Speaking of which, I just got the fuel filler installed.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:12 PM

Wow i didnt noticd that really bad spelling error...
Phones keyboard is way to small lol
Old 05-02-2012, 04:18 PM

Excellent work! A couple of questions:

1) Did you draw yourself a wiring diagram or do you remember what absolutely every wire is and where it goes? I only ask because who knows what can get bounced into a wire loom or what can fail and then you're stuck troubleshooting parts and wires. If you did, would you mind posting a copy of your wiring diagram? I think that we all can benefit from learning. I'm no wiring expert but I do understand simple wiring with relays and fuses.

2) I really like your idea of a second gas tank! When you said transfer pump, is that to give you longer range on a wheeling trip or do you have any other super secret tricks up your sleeve?

This trailer is definitely taking time to come together but I can only assume that you're doing countless hours of research and trying to work on this during your spare time. This trailer seems very well and purposely built. You have put a ton of good ideas into a small and simple package! Well done!!
Old 05-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
this thing is coming out awesome like all projects you set your mind to.
Have you figured out a tongue weight on this thing? I have seen a couple of other similar expedition trailer builds with similar tongues.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if people as about the gas tank on the trailer. just stay its a gas powered remote control trailer haha
Old 05-05-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by racerflea
Wow i didnt noticd that really bad spelling error...
Phones keyboard is way to small lol
No worries, I figured you replied on your phone!
Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 PM

My answers are in red...

Originally Posted by svdude
Excellent work! A couple of questions:

1) Did you draw yourself a wiring diagram or do you remember what absolutely every wire is and where it goes? I only ask because who knows what can get bounced into a wire loom or what can fail and then you're stuck troubleshooting parts and wires. If you did, would you mind posting a copy of your wiring diagram? I think that we all can benefit from learning. I'm no wiring expert but I do understand simple wiring with relays and fuses.

You bring up a good point, I took notes while running each section of wiring. I also labeled the fuse blocks and all the junction blocks; I plan on having a laminated sheet with that information in the trailer in case I have an issue on the trail. I would like to draw out an actual wiring diagram once I get some time, but right now my main concern is getting the trailer finished before summer.

2) I really like your idea of a second gas tank! When you said transfer pump, is that to give you longer range on a wheeling trip or do you have any other super secret tricks up your sleeve?

The "transfer pump" is just a small electric fuel pump that I will use to transfer the fuel from the trailer, to the 4Runner's fuel tank. It's plumbed like a normal fuel tank but after the pump there will be a fuel line disconnect, I will have a section of "filler hose" that I will connect to the trailer and run up to the 4Runner's normal gas tank filler. It's not the fastest method, but I won't be transferring a whole tank at one time, most likely it will be around 5 gallons at a time. It's still less work, and less of a mess, than Jerry cans.

This trailer is definitely taking time to come together but I can only assume that you're doing countless hours of research and trying to work on this during your spare time. This trailer seems very well and purposely built. You have put a ton of good ideas into a small and simple package! Well done!!

Thank you! It's been a ton of work; the new 4Runner has taken away a lot of the trailer time, but that's good because as I get burnt out with one I switch over to the other. The hardest thing about the trailer is that there are no plans, no directions, and it's not like anything else out there, I spend hours just staring at the thing figuring out how I'm going to do something. Sometimes I don't figure it out, and I have to move onto something different until it finally pop's into my head days/weeks down the road. I can honestly say this has been the most mentally challenging project I have ever taken on, that includes the Turbo and 3rd Gen 4Runner's.

Last edited by DIRTCO; 05-05-2012 at 02:58 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by dropzone
this thing is coming out awesome like all projects you set your mind to.
Have you figured out a tongue weight on this thing? I have seen a couple of other similar expedition trailer builds with similar tongues.
Thank you!

I think the tongue weight is right around 100 pounds, but I still need to weigh it. I can pick it up by hand fairly easy if I need to, but it is getting heavier every time I work on it.

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
if people as about the gas tank on the trailer. just stay its a gas powered remote control trailer haha
It might as well be! It has it's own electrical system, fuel system, and suspension. Speaking of which (this is just crazy Frankenstein talk); I think it would be awesome to have a pusher trailer that had it's own engine and steering! Yes, I've actually thought about it!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:41 PM

maybe in the future when the work on the trailer and 4runner is almost done. look into a go kart or a motorcycle engine lol
Old 05-05-2012, 09:40 PM

very nice build make me want to build something like that
Old 05-06-2012, 06:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DIRTCO
Thanks! Yes, it's a spare tank with a transfer pump. Speaking of which, I just got the fuel filler installed.

Are you going to tie the deflectors into the fender supports?
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 AM

nice work
Old 05-08-2012, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 great work

I have big plans for that 4runner frame in the back yard now!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Asuarez737
very nice build make me want to build something like that
Originally Posted by stillrunnin
nice work
Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
+1 great work

I have big plans for that 4runner frame in the back yard now!
Thanks guys!
Old 05-18-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by wii_tarded
Are you going to tie the deflectors into the fender supports?
I'm not planning on it. The fenders are are very stout with the struts and 1/4" strap holding them in place. Also, the deflectors are welded to the frame, while the fenders are attached to the trailer body. The trailer body is bolted to the frame with polyurethane bushings; there might be a small amount of movement between the two at times.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:45 PM

I've been working on getting some of the smaller stuff wrapped up so I can get this this thing registered and on the road/trail.

I needed to get the front diamond plate bulkhead in place, so I welded a flange all the way around the opening. I was going to bolt it in place, but I thought it would look cool with no hardware holding it, so I used windshield adhesive to glue it in place.

I put five gallons of gas in the tank to flush out some of the surface rust and debris from setting for almost ten years. The trailer transfer tank uses the stock carbureted ‘85 fuel filter (it will be filtered before going in the new 4Runners fuel tank) but I still want to run a couple tanks and replace the filter before filling the tank with premium, and transferring it over to the 4Runner. I have a fuel shut off valve on the system, and I was worried that the fuel pump wouldn’t want to pump fuel though the 180’ valve, but it worked great and transferred the five gallons of gas in around 5-8 minutes. I don’t plan on transferring a whole tank at once, so I’m happy with the results!

I need safety chains for when the trailer is on the road, but when I get my off-road coupler I don’t want chains dragging on everything and rattling around the entire time I’m off the pavement. So I cut up an old 3/8” shackle (that used to be on this truck, before it was a trailer) and used it for the chains. There is one mount welded to the street coupler, and two more on the backside of the rear bumper on the 4Runner.

I also drilled a second set of holes so I can get the tongue length as short as possible, it’s only a few inches but it really changed how the trailer handles. I’ve only towed it around the block a couple time and it seems to corner, follow the truck better; but the trailer kind of feels squirrely, and I can feel the movement of the trailer transfer through the truck more than before. I’ll need to do some high speed testing before I can make up mind…

Old 05-20-2012, 03:16 PM

What an awesome build!
Old 05-20-2012, 05:17 PM

Cool!!! I wouldnt want to transfer a full tank for fear of burning up the pump

Quick Reply: My Camping Trailer Project