The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

My Camping Trailer Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Camping Trailer Project

After selling the Chief last year (build thread here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...-build-186107/), I thought several times about building a new trailer. The main reason I sold the Chief is because I did not have a place to keep it and storage fees are very expensive around here. I also felt that the trailer was under built for where I wanted to go, it was also a little heavy, wide and time consuming to set up.

While at a visit to my Parents house they reminded me of a bunch of old parts I had in the backyard. They wanted everything gone so they could do some landscaping and remodeling. Most of it was just trash, then there was the frame (or what was left of it) of my first Toyota. It had been setting there for close to eight years and I never got around to cutting it up and recycling it. I spend some time looking at it, figuring out the best way to cut it and throw it away… then I thought “I can build a trailer out of this!” I know the idea sounds ridiculous, and I’m sure it is, but the more I thought about it the more it made sense. So I loaded it up and brought it to the shop.

The idea behind this build is to use what I have and spend as little as possible, while building a nice little camping trailer. I will have to spend some money on it but I am going to try to budget it as much as possible.

So here we go! This is how it looked when I got it to the shop; dirt, weeds, spiders and some surface rust. I pulled the exhaust off and threw it away; the tires are for rollers until I get something else.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
*subscribes*
Old 08-28-2010, 06:54 PM

looks like the frame is in good shape. i would go for it. man you can build it how you want now. fuel tank would make for a good back up fuel. good luck on the build.
Old 08-28-2010, 06:57 PM

cool idea,
Old 08-28-2010, 07:04 PM

The first step was to clean it up and get rid of the crap that I didn't need. I tore the wiring and brake lines out, then I pulled the gas tank and started the process of getting rid of all the dirt, weeds and spiders.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:06 PM

you going to build the floor a little lower then the frame? was thinking that so you can get the weight a little lower.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:20 PM

First I chopped the the front of the frame off, then the rear. This will give me a good starting point.

Then I removed the stock rear crossmember, I tack welded some steel to hold the frame in place.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:26 PM

I know this looks like a heavy / large platform to start with but it really is not. This how I moved it around, without much effort.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tofer
*subscribes*
It will be an interesting project!

Originally Posted by broncrider
looks like the frame is in good shape. i would go for it. man you can build it how you want now. fuel tank would make for a good back up fuel. good luck on the build.
Originally Posted by 4RUNR FREAK
cool idea,
Originally Posted by broncrider
you going to build the floor a little lower then the frame? was thinking that so you can get the weight a little lower.
Thanks! The frame is in great shape, just a little surface rust. The fuel tank is going to stay. I'm going to clean it, get a new filter / lines and wire it to a electric fuel pump, I think it holds 15-16 gallons. It might take 15-20 minutes or so to transfer the fuel but that will be at camp so I really don't care. I also don't have to mess with Jerry Cans which can be heavy and messy.

With the stock gas tank the floor will have to stay in the stock location. It's a little tall but not too bad.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:22 PM

Now for the real work! First up was the rear bumper, it's 2x4 rectangle tubing and I added a 2" reciever. I also added some 1/4" gussets for extra strength.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:39 PM

Next up was the front of the frame, this is where things get a little tricky. The Toyota frame is not square, so I had to add shims to keep everything tight and level. I also added some plug welds for extra strength.

Old 08-28-2010, 08:49 PM

Looking good Dirtco. But I have come to expect that from you. Looking forward to seeing the end result of you labour.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:50 PM

I used the stock bed mounts for the trailer box, I had to drill them out a bit (Maybe 3/4"?) but I was able to use 4Runner body mounts.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:22 PM

that was my thoughts with keeping the fuel tank. filling that is better storage then jerry cans. but looks good so far!!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Received 101 Likes on 53 Posts
I like it so far! *subscribes*
Old 08-29-2010, 03:22 PM

I have a 1st gen toyota bed trailer Mounted a 55 gallon drum on the front tounge with a hand pump for fuel. Ran a lumber rack minus the cab over part and am currently trying to do the truck top tent set up!! I figure that I will eventually put trailer levelers on all four corners so that when you camp on a hill you wont roll out. Its got a four inch rear block lift and a fork style hitch so i can articulate without losing the trailer. I will watch where you are going with this I love to see peoples camp ideas
Old 08-29-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by dannomite
Looking good Dirtco. But I have come to expect that from you. Looking forward to seeing the end result of you labour.
Originally Posted by Birdbrain
I like it so far! *subscribes*
Thanks guys! It's going to be an interesting project!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:31 PM

looking good!
Old 08-29-2010, 03:39 PM

Once I got the body mounts figured out I could start on the frame work of the floor.

Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
subscribbled. man do I need to learn how to weld.

Quick Reply: My Camping Trailer Project