The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

high pinion convertion

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i didnt know about the oil reatainer which could easily be fixed with little machine work

blake arnt you just cheery today
Old 11-15-2012, 10:19 AM

anybody ever tell you that using caps lock comes off as yelling since im not there to hear you
anyway i didnt under stand the reverse cut gears i thought they were cut backwards so INSTEAD OF YELLING maybe you should try using lower case and explaining without coming off as condesending i understand now because i drew it out on a peice of paper because your caps lock and saying i didnt under stand elementary stuff was useless
Old 11-15-2012, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, didnt think of the ring being on the other side. So reverse cut gears dont actually reverse the rotation, just make use of the stronger side of the ring gear. That just blew my mind
Old 11-15-2012, 02:51 PM

How hard would it be to flip the carrier?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:40 PM

You could flip the carrier in theory but you would have to add a pretty good size "shim" more like spacer in between the carrier and ring gear but I'm not sure if that could compromise strength of the diff itself and the spacer would have to be about perfect width to be back into the right toe and heel of the gear
Very possible however givin the fact that not everybody has access to a machine shop so with what we're talkin now it would probably get close to the price for a hp and wouldnt have to come up with a oiling problem

From what I understand over filling the axle housing will wear out the inner axle seals faster but not sure if that's true or not or if the life is even shortened enough to be noticeable
Old 11-15-2012, 07:38 PM

Here is a pic I tried drawing of flipping the diff.

It won't work. plus I don't thing the ring gear would clear the housing on the other side once you flipped it.

Last edited by travis_h; 11-15-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
In theory, theory and practice are the same.

In practice, theory and practice are different.

In theory, nothing works but we know why.

In practice, it works but we don't know why.

When theory and practice come together nothing works and we don't know why.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 AM

yeah you would have to notch the housing but at this point "ive seen the error of my ways"

travis your drawing makes some much more sense than mine i would post my drawing but then this thread would have to be renamed to look at the retarded kids drawing
Old 11-16-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my apologies woke up on the wrong side of the bed. as far as caps, i wasnt trying to come across as yelling. i simply didnt want the poster to think that this would work and start cutting up his housing and after all the blood sweat and tears have it not work. the elementary part would be if you dont know it will work dont say it will and have someone throw away money blood sweat and tears. yes flipping a diff is possible, it requires also cutting off the other side of the housing and welding it back on up side down. why would anyone do this you may ask? well if one is running a rear dirvetrain facing forward and it all turns the wrong way, backwards rotating diffs will give you a forward direction of travel, or if you are running an industrial engine like an old detroit that came in cw and ccw rotation if ccw rotation the engine is going counter clockwise viewed from the front pulley so would your drivetrain, if the diffs were flipped you would still go forward, then you can install reverse cut gears to be pushing on the strong side. anyways good luck on the project im in the market for a high pinion diff myself. ps ill take caution next time the asshole comes out in me no hard feeling guys.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:36 AM

no problem i wasnt in a good mood either had just got involved in a "hit and run" per say. thank god for the cheap mirrors that were on my truck they just folded away so no damage. when plastic hits at about 45 mph it makes a hell of a sound anyway no problem though i just tried to draw it out and drew a horrid drawing that's why i thought it made sense