The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

high pinion convertion

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
high pinion convertion

ok so i got into my thinking mode and have never heard of this so here it goes
i actually have the stuff for this project already so it might go alittle quicker
anyway on with the show
i have a v6 diff laying around around and was thinking if you flipped the diff to make a high pinion now i know its not as simple as flipping it but from some very crude measurements with a level the bearings seam to be centered in the bolt pattern however the only thing that seems to be the problem so far is the 2 top and bottom bolt holes seem like they should be welded and redrilled, the 3 side ones seem ok but looks can be deceiving
im going to take this to school tomorow and take some good measurements
i might have to re notch a space for the ring gear (kinda like what you have to do with the elockers) but im not 100% sure on that because i dont remember if the housing even has a notch for the gear or not
for now with my crude measurements worst case scenario i have to weld all the hole and redrill the pattern

if you think this wont work could you explain why

Last edited by Dreidel; 12-24-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:34 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Uh, if you flip it upside down, your front and rear tires will spin opposite of each other.

High pinion gears have a reverse cut to them

The gears on the left are Standard Cut (low-pinion) and the gears on the right are Reverse Cut (high-pinion).

Last edited by rattlewagon; 11-06-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:28 PM

yeah forgot to post that will reverse cut gears fit in a low pinion housing as from the pic they look very very different
Old 11-06-2012, 06:52 PM

The pic I posted isnt mine, Just one I found on the net. The gears on the left look like there out or a 9" and the one on the right looks like its from a d30?.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys using reverse mounted engines have done this, and I guess there is some kind of oiling issue with flipping the diff upside down. May or may not be applicable but something to keep in mind.
Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 PM

people solve the oiling issue with a oil spasher type deally thing basically its like a propellor that dips in the oil and throws it on the bearings and stuff thats what they do with the actual hp diffs

Last edited by Dreidel; 11-06-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:28 PM

i took some more measurements and figured out that the pattern on the diff is the same except for the suspect top and bottom holes which could simply be elongated to make it so it will fit as a high pinion and as a low pinion that way if it doesnt work it will still go back the other way. so far this is looking pretty promising
Old 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you able to just use high pinion fj gears on the v6 carrier then? I really like the idea of a cheaper HP 3rd. Where did you find the oil splashers and where do they go?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM

you can get them from trail gear for about 14 dollars a piece from some reading the oil slinger acts as a shim in front of the bearing and splashes oil on it in the lp d44 but not sure how that would work in a high pinion since the pinion is out of the oil
Old 11-10-2012, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by NorthIdahoyota
Are you able to just use high pinion fj gears on the v6 carrier then? I really like the idea of a cheaper HP 3rd.
thats kind of what i was thinking
Old 11-10-2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dreidel
i took some more measurements and figured out that the pattern on the diff is the same except for the suspect top and bottom holes which could simply be elongated to make it so it will fit as a high pinion and as a low pinion that way if it doesnt work it will still go back the other way. so far this is looking pretty promising
If you have reverse cut gears in your "high pinion" and you flip it over because it doesnt work, your front and back wheels will spin opposite of each other.

Dont get me wrong, Im all for this working. I just feel like if it really was this simple, it would have been done before. I think that differences in the housings stop this from working, but I dont have examples.

Last edited by rattlewagon; 11-10-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM

Good luck with this project, oiling is THE BIGGEST issue. I hope you are trying this for the front axle, high pinions simply do not last in the rear of a truck
Old 11-11-2012, 03:54 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Go flush your time and money down the toilet, it will yield better results.

:wabbit2:
Old 11-11-2012, 06:58 PM

^ well sorry for thinking maybe this could work and it's my money so I'll do what I want with it. I dont have a money tree in my backyard so if one could make something work good for cheap why not

Anyway I don't physically have a hp housing to compare to but from what I understand of the high pinion is that another reason the hp gear are reverse cut is to throw oil up towards the bearing to help with oil. I was looking at my housing and noticed that there is a channel that appears to start where the ring gear would sit and it goes in between the two pinion bearings well there is also a wider channel in the same place but on the top of the housing
Old 11-11-2012, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by rattlewagon
If you have reverse cut gears in your "high pinion" and you flip it over because it doesnt work, your front and back wheels will spin opposite of each other.
Not sure what your saying if I put hp gears in the lp housing and it doesn't work ill simply put the old diff back in. Because the one I'm working on is a spare I have
Old 11-14-2012, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Dreidel
^ well sorry for thinking maybe this could work and it's my money so I'll do what I want with it. I dont have a money tree in my backyard so if one could make something work good for cheap why not

Anyway I don't physically have a hp housing to compare to but from what I understand of the high pinion is that another reason the hp gear are reverse cut is to throw oil up towards the bearing to help with oil. I was looking at my housing and noticed that there is a channel that appears to start where the ring gear would sit and it goes in between the two pinion bearings well there is also a wider channel in the same place but on the top of the housing
Ohh the irony... he is saying DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY....
Why do you need a HP diff?

Also, the gears are reverse cut because they are STRONGER that way. A low pinion diff in the front axle is actually much weaker, because the gears are cut to drive the opposite rotation, and you are applying power in the wrong direction.... that's why any truck with full time AWD (think 96+ 4runner, FJ80/FJZ80) all have reverse cut, high pinion front diffs....
Old 11-14-2012, 08:37 PM

Ok I think everybody but a select few actually got what I was saying I know what reverse cut gears do and that was never even a question I asked. All I wondering is if I could take reverse cut gears, put the in the lp diff and rotate the diff 180 degrees in the axle housing. That would safe the $600 on a kit that you still have to put together yourself and for the cost of a set of reverse cut gears, a v6 housing, and a good round file you could in theory have a hp diff for people who 1 can't afford it ( this kid) 2 who take more pride in stuff they build themselves ( this kid)
Why do I want a hp diff? Don't take this post wrong and not trying to be a douche here but why would anyone want one, clearance, drive line angle, strength
Old 11-15-2012, 06:49 AM

Received 91 Likes on 71 Posts
I recently built a Hi Pinion for my SAS and thought maybe you could flip the standard V6 over and use the housing just like you're thinking.

I wish I would have taken pictures. The housings are different. The oil passages were different. The pinion bearing bore had an area to press in an oil retainer. It was behind the bearing cup. There is also the slinger to keep the bearings lubed.

Take a look at some of Zuk's builds on www.gearinstalls.com so you can see what I'm talking about.

If you just HAVE to see what will happen if you do it, go for it. Maybe if you over fill it you will get away with it. Let us know how it works
Old 11-15-2012, 07:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
it doesnt matter what cut the gears are. when you flip it over it moves the ring to the other side of the pinion causing the rotation to be opposite NO MATTER WHAT GEARS YOU USE! it will turn the wrong way WILL NOT WORK. am i the only one who sees this? the HP diff has the pinion on the same side of the ring gear as the LP diff and will turn the same direction as the HP diff even with different gears the rotation will be the same only difference is the pinion is driving on the coast side of the gear. i thought about this when i was a kid with my high school truck and soon realized the rotation would be backwards.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
everyone telling you to try it is saying throw your money in the trash they have to know it will not work, especially you guys that turn a wrench cmon this is elementary

Quick Reply: high pinion convertion