The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

Fillsrunner4.3 crawler (PART TWO) - pic heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=fillsrunner4;51099486]As of right now no kit is really in the works but I did just land a new job at another machine shop and theres been discusion on truck parts we may make oneday. I live a bit more north than ft. lewis but its only like another hour out.

and thank you

yeah it would be cool if you did like i said tho i ll be in iraq till may 2010 or maybe a little longer depending on mission status. but my buddy already said he would do the swap for me. i am definitly going to do it i juat drove form seaside to boise idaho in 7 hours with my 22re and some of the hills on the way here are monsters. but i m pushing 37/14.50s. have you ever figured out what kinda of MPG your getting?. from what i ve read the 4.3s get like 15-18 in vans and bigger trucks but the toyota s are so much lighter i was kinda curious
Old 03-29-2009, 05:06 AM

Hey Phil, awesome rig! I have a 95 runner with a blown 3.0 that I am starting a sas,sbc and rear leafs. I am fairly green to this hobby and have lots of questions but I don't want to hi-jack your thread. The flat belly is supercool but I want to wheel this thing sometime this summer.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Born2buggy
Hey Phil, awesome rig! I have a 95 runner with a blown 3.0 that I am starting a sas,sbc and rear leafs. I am fairly green to this hobby and have lots of questions but I don't want to hi-jack your thread. The flat belly is supercool but I want to wheel this thing sometime this summer.
Not this summer if you're that green.

And Fill, what the hell? Updates when you didn't have a job and now at a stand still with cash flow???
Old 03-29-2009, 04:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
Not this summer if you're that green.

And Fill, what the hell? Updates when you didn't have a job and now at a stand still with cash flow???
Im very sorry for the slow updates. Yeah my cash flow was gone and the remaining work I have left will cost a little bit so now that im working again ill be getting the flow to be able and work on it more. Plus were doing a SAS and motor swap in my friend/ roomates rig so thats taken up some time too. No one wants it running more than me Pics and real updates will happen

Originally Posted by Born2buggy
Go with 60s for axles if you want the SBC I would recomend just a 4.3 its a great motor and fit amazing in the yotas. You got questions send me a pm. and be sure to search the forums as there is so much info on here and the web.

Thanks you

Originally Posted by ffryno13

yeah it would be cool if you did like i said tho i ll be in iraq till may 2010 or maybe a little longer depending on mission status. but my buddy already said he would do the swap for me. i am definitly going to do it i juat drove form seaside to boise idaho in 7 hours with my 22re and some of the hills on the way here are monsters. but i m pushing 37/14.50s. have you ever figured out what kinda of MPG your getting?. from what i ve read the 4.3s get like 15-18 in vans and bigger trucks but the toyota s are so much lighter i was kinda curious
Not sure on the MPG yet as I havent driven it yet. Plus i dont have the spedo hooked up as I dont really need it so I cant really track it.

37's on a 22re my friend has been running my iroks on the trail since I had the better tires. his little 22 does pretty good but would be better if he put 4.7s in the case instead of the stock 2.28's he has. Would help him out alot running big tires like my 37X14's
Old 04-09-2009, 04:52 PM

Thumbs up Sick Runner

Ok, i just spent a couple hours a day for a few days reading through both build threads... all i can say is this thing is sick...

seems like you should stop setting deadlines for yourself... i think they are just jinxing you lol.

I would love to build my 92 sr5 up, but there just arent any trails around here that require much... My IFS should hold up to pretty much everything around here once i get it locked, just need a motor swap to get rid of my 3.slow... i really want a 1uz

anyway, ill end my hi-jack here... good luck with funds, i know this is my big problem too...
Old 04-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Crinale
Ok, i just spent a couple hours a day for a few days reading through both build threads... all i can say is this thing is sick...

seems like you should stop setting deadlines for yourself... i think they are just jinxing you lol.
Thank you and I think your right about the deadlines but then again ide like to think of them more as goals for myself
I think its a curse on its own just knowing how to work on vehicles

hope you get your rig how you want it
Old 04-12-2009, 01:30 PM

Ok said I would post up some pics.

Took alot of time thinking about how I wanted the intake to run but I knew I wanted it short and simple, and also higher up to keep it safer from water
I will somday make a full snorkle and this piece is more of a mock up till I can make it out of better material. Here I used heater ducting to bend the shape and some duct tape to enforse it some. Not the pretiest but I think it looks cool. Holds in place very well but will be changed oneday. For now it should work just fine

Finished the heater and wire clamps which im very happy with

When I installed the MSD custom cut yourself length wires I noticed they run best on the passanger side with the first two cylinders going forward and and behind the pully bracket on the front of the motor. this will protect from contact with the header which is a tight fit farther back on the block.

So while I wait for funds to get the last parts needed for her to run ive been wanting to do another thing to the front suspension... So...

Im in process of moving my axle forward about 1". this will improve tire clearence with the firewall which is little but will be nice for when I go to 39's. Not to mention improve approach angle a little

While the alxe was out I found two broken wheel studs so had to fix those too lol. keep them botls tight

I hope to have it back under the truck early this week. Im taking the top plates to the shop to use the drill press and still need to drill the holes on the axle.

More to come as the $$$ starts rollin in

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 04-12-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:12 PM

nice to see you have a nice garage for it to go in now ^_^ ... should make working on it less weather dependant...
Old 04-21-2009, 11:24 PM

Quick hyjack

you guys missed a good day of wheelin

end hyjack
Old 04-22-2009, 06:09 AM

wish for sure I could have made it out... I actualy had to go in for work all day but its gettin some $ flow this way again one of these days.. Judging by the pics it looks to me you all had a great time

Happy late B-day

Originally Posted by Crinale
nice to see you have a nice garage for it to go in now ^_^ ... should make working on it less weather dependant...
And yes I love having my own garage finnaly... Still a bit small but better than the stall I had before. weathers been crazy so I have been very lucky in that regard. dont mind working outside just more of a convinience plus the neighbors like that more

Last edited by fillsrunner4; 04-22-2009 at 06:44 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:54 PM

thanks... and yeah we all had a BLAST!!!
Old 04-25-2009, 03:31 PM

good times

Well got a little work done.
Moved the axle forward 1 1/4"
Can really see the difference when your standing next to the rig. gives me great firewall clearence from the tires and lines my steering links up great aspecialy after moving the steering box forward so far.

Just need some bigger tires and they will stick in front of the frame

Got another project on the works
this brown truck has seen better days. No motor for it we decided to scrap and turn erics mini red truck into a wheelin machine. Gonna be more a DD but will be capable of hitting the hardest trails around

The front and rear end is all were really after

Heres were they will find there new home
22re thats been bored will have dual cases just stock gearing most likely and lockers and 35mtrs

Ready to haul away

Lots of work still to go on mine.. Been working on it most the weekend and still have one more day of weekend so will see what I can get done
Old 04-28-2009, 01:03 AM

haha... like you 2 need another project oh well, looks like itll be fun
Old 04-28-2009, 06:37 AM

wasnt really a project i wanted My times still on my rig thats gonna be my friends to tackle
Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 PM

what's up with that 4.3? seems like you're going to have one hell of a fun time with it!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:53 AM

Phill get your rig running so you can drive out here for memorial day weekend!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Phill get your rig running so you can drive out here for memorial day weekend!
Trying.. Just ran the coolant lines for my rear radiator this last weekend. Its real clean and nice waiting on a part from summit to finish it 100% though. Ill have pics of that when its fully finished this weekend. got a few other small things im working on ill be posting up soon.

Will see about the trip down would be fun for sure. im dying waiting right now. sucks Im stuck at work all day cause its the only thing really on my mind makes for very long days

Originally Posted by Texas91Runner
what's up with that 4.3? seems like you're going to have one hell of a fun time with it!

Should have a blast
Old 05-06-2009, 12:05 PM

lol..

yea it would be cool to see you down here. I highly doubt its worth the 500 mile trip to just hit up our local spot. If you were down here you would have to hit up the rubicon/fordyce etc...
Old 05-06-2009, 12:09 PM

that would be the plan

It would be worth it I just have to get the time and have some $$$ saved a little more than I do. Ive always wanted to take this rig around the states hitting the spots so it would be a deffinet stop along the way. Got to get it running strong first
Old 05-06-2009, 12:11 PM

DO IT!!!!!

You got 16 days!
LOL

Quick Reply: Fillsrunner4.3 crawler (PART TWO) - pic heavy!