The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

custom tool hutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
custom tool hutch

ok so i know my first thread was about going completly homemade toolbox was that i didnt have the time or really the money to build something like that at the time so after my dad so graciously giving me his 44 in bottom chest loaded with tools for school

anyway heres my idea now the chest alone after picking up all the tools that were in the garage and not in the box it is now almost overflowing so since im in such a financial situation with school starting and my hours at work getting severely cut im am going to hf to get two 7 drawer side cabinets and to make my own hutch

color scheme in the end is going to be black cabinets with red handles all the way around

as far as lighting goes inside the hutch i have a idea but i need some help with this im thinking these leds with this driver
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...-current/1050/
http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...led/1026/2481/
do i have to use a heatsink with these leds
would this combo work
these leds run at 10watts apeice so if i hooked 2 of them together would that equal 20 watts or still 10 depending on how i hooked it up
i also need a ac to dc converter but the ones i can find right now are rated at 6, 15, 24, 50 watts, does this matter that bad as long as i get one close since it will be going through the led driver which regulates the current?

sorry about all the electronic questions i like working with them but anything above real simple stuff and i need help so i dont mess something up

any suggestions on door ideas it has to lock? i like the doors on the fire trucks the stainless ones that would be cool anybody got one

and please dont tell me to go buy one i love the staifaction you get from building something yourself something you work hard on and not just saying ohwell i have the money and just blow it on dumb stuff, i couldve just bought a 4wd toyota but instead i got parts and did what some said couldnt be done to my 2wd. the point is please be helpful and dont knock what i want to do

Last edited by Dreidel; 08-15-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok so i understand the wiring question and what im going to do is get the 26 watt power supply run a higher ma driver and then wire the leds in series to divide all that power in half.
as far as a door goes i think i might do a montezuma style door but still make it look like a regular hutch which works out fairly well because i have a extra gas shock from a failed project earlier this summer that resulted in a slightly bent hood on the passenger side soooo
next idea im thinking might be my old head unit out of my truck and some cheap boss audio speakers from walmart up on the lid so they are out of the way
ill take pics of the build