The Fab Shop Tube buggies, armor protection and anything else that requires cutting, welding, or custom fab work

86 4runner buildup

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 4runner buildup

I wasnt going to make one of these but decided i should so i can ask questions here instead of starting new threads ever few minutes. here is what she looks like stock. she has 0 dents or scratches and is in PERFECT condition. the only thing i have done so far is herculine the inside. it is a 5spd, power stearing, 22re with 230k miles and NO REBUILD yet. heres a few pics
it is going to be getting a SAS as soon as i find an axle that isnt 500 bucks and after i go pick up the marlin SAS and rear lift kit. my plans for this are at run 5.29 gears 35" tires and gear the transfercase down lower. this is going to be a dedicated trail rig.

my first question is where to put the hi-lift, its 48" outside, inside...where? thanks
Old 01-26-2005, 08:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I keep mine inside, out of the weather. It is mounted to the roll bar in the back. secure and out of the way.
Nice job on the hurculiner install
Old 01-26-2005, 08:50 AM

can you post a pic of how you mounted it? i was thinking of mounting it on the insode roll bar but i want it to be safe and not hit the passangers
Old 01-26-2005, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Ha-ha! I was just going to get a pic.

Here ya go.
Of course, I dont have the rear seat in. But when I did, it really didnt get in the way. If I had a passenger that was to sit there I would probably have to cover it with something to keep them from busting their head open and getting the interior all dirty
Old 01-26-2005, 09:20 AM

awesome, thanks! so u just welded some bolts to tot he roll cage than? did you paint the hi-lift, casue it looks pretty cool and my paint is all worn so i might do something!
Old 01-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jared Ajlouny
awesome, thanks! so u just welded some bolts to tot he roll cage than? did you paint the hi-lift, casue it looks pretty cool and my paint is all worn so i might do something!
No, the roll bar has a threaded nut welded on it already (at least mine does)
All I did was get a bolt that fit it and welded a "t" handle to it so I could take it out without tools.
Old 01-26-2005, 02:58 PM

oh mine doesnt have a bolt....i really need to buy a welder!
Old 01-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Some more details on the linexing job...

You need to get some better pics up here of that rig too.

Old 01-26-2005, 03:15 PM
Banned

jared, he said it has a welded on nut not a bolt...

you can borrow my welder, but you have to fit to my schedule
Old 01-26-2005, 04:00 PM

You mean herculiner? I still have some of that crap on my arm and i did it almost 2 weeks ago!!!! ill get better pics and more description as soon as i get back form my mountain bike ride! (almost no light left!)

jim what kind of welder do you have?
Old 01-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Banned

its jsut a crappy one, like a 100 amp wire feed mig... tis not that great, but works well for a lot of stuff.....
Old 01-26-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jared Ajlouny
oh mine doesnt have a bolt....i really need to buy a welder!

Yours has it. About 2/3 of the way up the bar on each side is a plastic cover. Pull this cover and you'll see the threaded nut welded into the bar. It's used for rear shoulder harnesses in other countries.
Old 01-26-2005, 06:04 PM
Banned

jared got any herc left? i need to do that to my interior..... going to have a baby soon, so i will need t obe able to wash out the inside
Old 01-26-2005, 06:08 PM

i have barly any left...and i still have to coat some more spots again. it goes by fast!! congrats on the baby!
Old 01-26-2005, 06:11 PM
Banned

Come on slacker...details of what you did...and some more pics!

Old 01-26-2005, 07:12 PM

alright here it is...
first I removed EVERYTHING from the interior. the rear seats were a pain in the !!! the good thing about this was i finnally had air tools!!1 no busted fingers and it saved a ton of time!

a pile of all the stuff inside the runner....

after i took everything out i had to remove the carpet..that was east except for the harry stuff in the fron part of the runner. that took a majority of the time!
for the tailgate peice i removed the carpet and herculined it but since it is cheap wood i plan on getting some thin metal and putting it there when i can afford a plasma cutter to make it.

after everything is removed we had to tape over ALL the holes and anyhting else we needed to protect. after everythign is all preped you can roll the stuff on. roll it slowly because it splatters all over the place!
it took a couple days to completly dry. (did 3 coats and waited a day in between each one) than put everything back together (this is where i learned its not good to start bolts with a impact wrnech, i have to tap a few and put new bolts in .i think it looks AWESOME with the stock trim and the black floors! oh yea the fumes stay for a few weeks so always drive with the windows down!

between coats i removed the spare tire and the assembly for it. i also changed the rear diff fluid (dark blue! ) and check the transfer case (perfect level and color) and i couldnt get the tranny bolt off so i bought some craftsman bolt out bolts off ebay

i NEED to find some more things to do to it in the spare time before the SAS any ideas beside the high lift?!
Old 01-26-2005, 07:22 PM
Banned

Looks good. How's the road noise with the carpet out? Did you take out the pieces on the sides or is there enough room to liner it with the carpet not tucked under there...I was going to use a brush cause I already know the roller splatters like a big dog...

Tune-up (new plugs, wires, cap, fluids, brakes, etc.)

Flush radiator.

I had some door actuators put in mine, I hate holding the handle to lock the door.

New wiper blades

Stock up on grinder discs now!

How's the underbelly of that sucker?

Old 01-26-2005, 07:41 PM

i only drove it about 5 miles before the herculiner but afterwards i drove about 15..lol i havent really noticed a difference...i also have factory toyota fubber floor mats, those probobly help on the noise also.

i sorta wanted to hold off on the tune up becasue i might do an engine rebuild (i guess i can use the stuff over again anyways) i just dont want to mess it up like i always hear happens when people change the spark plugs.....

yea i need to buy allot of disks. i just bought a new grinder (a nice brand new dewalt one! (my dad is getting mad because i have mroe tools than him! ) on ebay cause the 10 dollar one i got off there before started smoking! haha

the underbelly is SOOOOO full of greese and oil i dont know what to do! it has NO rust at all which is good. the oil is everywhere. even all over the engine bay and engine. the place where the grime really is is on the drive shafts. it is flung in a line when the driveshafts rotates(never seen it do it, but you can tell from how the greese is) i already used a can of the greese remover and spent an hours scrubbing with soap and pressure washing it but it is still a mess! i think it will be easier to deal with after the lift , its really hard to get under there to clean!

did you do any fiberglass work in the inside of your runner? i know how to fiberglass and have the supplies i just dont knwo what to make!
Old 01-26-2005, 08:07 PM

since i am having a hard time finding stock axles i am thinking about buying some axles that have been locked and geared already.
this guy is selling or parting out his truck. i offered him 2k for the axles and the drive shafts. he seemed like he might take it. axles have less than 100 miles on them. but the bad is they are 8 lug and 67" wide! are these to wide? maybe i shoudl buy all his SAS stuff also and than i would just have to buy hangers and leafs for mine?
Old 01-27-2005, 04:28 AM
Banned

hell ive got a set of front and rear toyota axles and all the shafts, too bad you dont live on the east coast

Quick Reply: 86 4runner buildup